Full Body Paint Bighorn? Why Not?

caokgafamily

I've alway's wondered for years why there isn't more full body paint
tt's, 5th wheels etc. Obviously it would cost more. I think Heartland could set itself apart even more if they could come out with this improvement on some models. I think some of the Landmarks have a different paint scheme, with more body paint. When I talk about full body paint I mean full body paint like a diesel pusher. Black or brown rubber roof, black trim, black ac cover etc. They could use the same windows because the frame is already black. What would this add to the cost? production time etc. I really think there would be ALOT of interest in this if it could be done.
I like the look of my Bighorn, one solid color vs other company's like to add that two tone color or make the lower part of the 5th wheel a different color. Imagine a new 2010 Bighorn dark grey or some type of darker brown with a new graphics scheme.

jbeletti

I think when this was an option, it was in the $500 to $600 range. Someone who had it done may weigh in on this to correct my guess.

I personally think the full-body paint looked very nice on the Landmark's I've seen with it. I have also seen some Newmars with a more complete paint job like you describe where the AC covers, PVC sewer pipe holders etc were all painted out. Very, very sharp.

So I am with you - that it looks awesome in my opinion.

The cons to a full or partial paint out as I see it:
- Cost
- Weight
- Maintenance

If you can get over the cost aspect, the maintenance aspect will be the next thing you'll have to deal with. I've spoken with a few Landmark owners who experienced blow-outs that caused damage to the lower aluminum below the fiberglass and when that is painted, it's an additional layer of hassle come repair time.

Same too for scratches. Easier to repair/hide them on white aluminum or fiberglass than on a colored wall.

That all said, my new unit will be the standard Landmark finish which is about a half-body paint out, which will include the lower section. It's standard - guess I'll take it.

I hope you get more input on this thread as I think it's a great discussion. I don't think having full-paint, partial-paint or no-paint is right or wrong. Just different and to each his own.

Jim

snuffy

The upper end Cedar Creeks have a full body paint option. Matter of fact, the brochure says you can send them the paint code and they will custom paint it. Really looks good painted the same color as the truck.

linuxkidd

The other thing that would discourage me from a dark color scheme is heat build up. These things get quite warm in direct sunlight even with their light colors.. Imagine if it were all black. You have to crank up the 2nd AC in 85+ heat...

I do personally LOVE the full body paint schemes and agree those diesel pushers look mighty sweet in black..

LK

jbeletti

Good point on the heat absorption factor LK.

Did you know the same is true for colored RV decals? I didn't until I attended the 2007 Houston rally.

I forget who it was (Harry Diamond maybe) but they showed us actual surface temperatures coming off the side of the coach in various spots. I forget the difference but it was something like 15 to 25 degrees hotter on the decals.

The question there was what was it doing in the inside of the trailer? We didn't test but it would be nice to know if the interior walls were warmer where the decals were vs. the gelcoat.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
There was a 2007 Travel Supreme in our park a while ago that had full body paint and it was beautiful. I wasn't even sure what brand trailer it was till I looked at the VIN label. Talked with the owner later and he said there is a "T.S." built into the front cap paint design. I couldn't tell but still liked the color scheme.

Princess Kathleen

As you know, the Luv Shak, is fully painted. We have not had any problems in heating up or cooling down; just small tree limb stubs!!!!!
The Luv Shak has been washed once...no black streaks for us...just lots of comments...

PK