How do I fix this? (vinyl trim insert)

HornedToad

The rub keeps comin' outta my rail...
Seal 2.jpgSeal 1.jpg

Dave, check me out on my terminology, that's what it's call it on a boat, not sure on an RV.

When it gets cold my corner seals contract out of the rail. The problem is after a while on the road the wind blows them loose, from top to bottom, and I have to stop to put them back. In warm weather they are very pliable being easy to pop back in and stretch to fit the corners.

I need to figure out a plan to fix this when things warm up.

Plan A - Reset the rail screws on the corners through the seal with convex washers.
If I screw through seal it will split???

Plan B - Run a bead of silicone from top to bottom on both sides of the rail before I reset the seal.
Will this make a mess and cause problems if it comes loose again???

Plan C - ???

ray587

Re: How do I fix this???

Looks like it was pulled too tight at the factory. Mine was doing the same thing so I pulled it all out so I could get to the moulding screws underneath. If you look at the ends of the moulding you will see that the rubber insert is is doubled around the back of the moulding to keep it tight. Just loosen the bottom screw and give youself a little slack in the rubber insert and screw it back down.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: How do I fix this???

Mike, if there isn't enough turned under to give you some slack, the stuff is pretty inexpensive. Bring your pictures to your dealer and ask him for replacement stuff (under warranty) and install it yourself. Make sure you get the right width. It comes in 3/4 and 1".

jbeletti

Mike - contact Heartland Customer Service today and explain the vinyl trim insert shrinkage. They may offer to send you some. Or at least provide it at the club member rate. 877-262-8032.

Pizzadigger

I have the same problem on our new 2014 BC 3650RL. I called HL customer service and they sent me the screw cover trim. Waiting for warmer weather and I will replace it. I think it was just to short.IMG_20140121_153019_515.jpg

MCTalley

Ours kept doing that. The door side trim was flapping in the breeze as we were driving down the road so I stopped and pulled it completely loose. When we got where we were going, I put it back in the channel, but not fully attached at either end. It is still there. When the off-door side repeated the exercise, I pulled it loose and tossed it in the floorboard of the truck. Kept forgetting about it and it got all creased from things sitting on it. I'll eventually get some replacement stuff to put in the off-door side molding.

HornedToad

Now that I know it's called "RV Vinyl Insert Molding Trim Screw Cover", (looked like a rub rail to me?) I'm going with Plan C and replace the entire length on a cold day so it doesn't contract again. I saw were it was doubled over on the end, but I don't think I had enough there to stretch out. I appreciate the 800# but I ordered a Camco 1 inch X 25ft roll on eTrailer for $6 bucks plus shipping. I did call Heartland about ordering something else and received excellent service.

Thanks to all, My Plan A or B would have been stop gap measures at best, that I would have probably had to do over!!!

wildwolfproducts

Now that I know it's called "RV Vinyl Insert Molding Trim Screw Cover", (looked like a rub rail to me?) I'm going with Plan C and replace the entire length on a cold day so it doesn't contract again. I saw were it was doubled over on the end, but I don't think I had enough there to stretch out. I appreciate the 800# but I ordered a Camco 1 inch X 25ft roll on eTrailer for $6 bucks plus shipping. I did call Heartland about ordering something else and received excellent service.

Thanks to all, My Plan A or B would have been stop gap measures at best, that I would have probably had to do over!!!

I make sure its full in cooler weather. Then its never happened again. So far every RV has this issue we have owned. Factory does not make sure not to stretch the stuff. If they were to just push up on the end to add an extra few inches when installing this would not be an issue. I will be swapping all of ours on the front of the Key Largo out next week.
Pete

szewczyk_john

This happened to mine last summer. Mine wrapped under the front and I was able to get enough from under the camper to get it fixed.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ha! Don't feel bad. When it warms up, I've got to replace all of the black vinyl trim on our 36 ft. USAR equipment trailer I've been modifying. Probably be close to 180 ft. of it. Not to mention getting rid of the Blowmax tires on it. I was working on the interior mod until the temps dropped and the snow piled up (and our wondrous DPW plowed an ice mountain in front of it behind the station).

cargears

That happened to me before too. Its the installers fault, they try to keep it taunt when they install it and they end up stretching it during the install. To make up for that when I replace this I over stuff it while pressing it in place, this way if it does shrink & try to pull away, I have plenty to spare and it wont mess up.

HornedToad

I did call Heartland about ordering something else and received excellent service.

Heartland called me back today to ship the item I ordered.

I was surprised that the price was about half what I would've paid for a similar aftermarket product.

Thanks Jim!!!