2004 F150 transmission cooler upgrade?

MotoLynx27x

Hey y'all. My 2004 F150 XLT 5.4L has an OEM rectangular aluminum transmission cooler in front and just below the ac condenser. My question is I have started towing my 5900lb prowler lynx that weighs in at 6575lb loaded and I'm concerned the small factory cooler will not be enough to cool during the summer months. I have a brand new Hayden 12" by 10" plate and fin style cooler that I want to put in place of the OEM one. Has anyone here done this? I've noticed a transmission leak around the cooler lines so I'm thinking now is a good time to replace it with a new larger and more efficient one.

the truck has 290k but runs & drives like 90k and the motor is brand new not rebuilt with about 3k on it.

Id also like to add a transmission temperature gauge to the A pillar. Is there a spot in the tranny where I can add a temp sender?

Thanks for for your help!

MotoLynx27x

We'll I added the additional cooler inline with the OEM. Seems to work well so I'll be testing it out this weekend on our trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

emm4273610re

With a gauge you'll be sure to know what the trans temp is. I think the rule is 20deg. below coolant temp. ( mine runs that ) Probes in the pan work, mine had me remove a plug in the trans body itself and install the probe there. Mine came from Edge with the dash monitor. Good Luck and Have Fun

MotoLynx27x

Well I haven't bought a gauge yet, but adding the second cooler seemed to work very well as I had no indication of problems or hot issues from the transmission on the past camp out the weekend before last. I'm heading out camping again this weekend so I'll try it out again!

Isaacv375

Well I haven't bought a gauge yet, but adding the second cooler seemed to work very well as I had no indication of problems or hot issues from the transmission on the past camp out the weekend before last. I'm heading out camping again this weekend so I'll try it out again!
Can you post pictures of where do you install that aftermarket cooler ? Thanks