Chevy Kodiak c5500

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Now that's cool - a chevy with a cummins engine. Weren't ya fixing up another big truck? Ya'll are planning on coming to the TN rally right????

jbeletti

Looks great! That truck is REALLY clean for a 2005. Assuming it has air-ride on the rear? If not, you may need to do something to make sure your RV gets the ride it deserves. Even an air hitch or air pinbox will help. Have fun with the new ride!

wildwolfproducts

Now that's cool - a chevy with a cummins engine. Weren't ya fixing up another big truck? Ya'll are planning on coming to the TN rally right????

Put the old ford up for sale. It did not like my back, or was it my back did not like it. Last time I pulled with it took me 5 weeks to get over it. So found this one and it rides as good or better then my pickup.
We keep looking at the Tn Rally, but just not sure we can fit it in this time. As we have something every weekend starting in 2 weeks until the week of the Tn rally. Vacation time runs out way to fast, but we do plan on making the big one next year at the plant.
13 more days and the camper will be following me on a fishing trip.

Pete

wildwolfproducts

Looks great! That truck is REALLY clean for a 2005. Assuming it has air-ride on the rear? If not, you may need to do something to make sure your RV gets the ride it deserves. Even an air hitch or air pinbox will help. Have fun with the new ride!
Jim it does not have air on the back, but the rubber deal that takes most of the bumps out of the ride. And will be mounting my TS3 this weekend. Would not tow without it again.
Also were you heading east on I-40 a few days ago? Marilyn met a truck like yours and camper about the Tn river west of Nashville.
Pete

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Understand on both Pete. Sorry to hear that the old Ford didn't work out in that it was looking like a neat truck. Hope she's gone quickly.

szewczyk_john

Nice find. Really like the fact that it is cummins powered. Are you just welding rails to the floor for the TS3? I would like to see pics of it when done. I have looked at a few flat beds that only have the gooseneck but no rails. Are you keeping the stacks? worried about soot getting on your trailer?

wildwolfproducts

Nice find. Really like the fact that it is cummins powered. Are you just welding rails to the floor for the TS3? I would like to see pics of it when done. I have looked at a few flat beds that only have the gooseneck but no rails. Are you keeping the stacks? worried about soot getting on your trailer?

Yes been in touch with Trailer saver and they told me it was fine to add angle iorn to the bottom of mine and bolt it down like its big brother. But to not use it beyond its ratings. So I plan on making up a bracket that bolts to the rail system but allow me to bolt it flat to the bed. The bed has a 1/2" plate floor under the Diamond plate. So its going to be easy to bolt down.
Not sure on the stacks yet, but truck does not smoke much at all. And know some would rather have the smoke high then coming out from the bottom. As they claim there RVs get more stuff then with stacks.
Now for the bad news, Trip to our house today running 70 to 80 MPH on I-40. almost 22 MPG with no trailer. Was told it has gotten 25 MPG when you keep it under 70 MPH more like 65. And loaded with a camper like ours there fuel tickets with hand figured comes out to 15.4 from Fl to Denver Co. Motor only has 31,000 miles on it now. So if its getting this kind of MPG its going to make me smile. Allison has double overdrive with top Gear 0.61 and rearend is 5.13, using the cummins gearing stats it shows exhact RPM's they show for the BEST MPG. so it may well do it. But I will be happy with low teens loaded any day. Truck only holds 150 gallons so will not be fueling up as much as now.
Pete

wildwolfproducts

All hooked up and no where to go. Man the weather today makes me want to head out a week early. I did drop the front 3 more inches and when on level ground the RV sits about as level as your going to get one.

wildwolfproducts

Left home (Admsville Tn) April 24th, drove to Harrison Bay State Park North of Chattanooga Tn. Filled the truck up with fuel that wed. And on the way east the truck pulled great and did not know the camper was there. Shoot even passed a few empty flat bed Big rigs on I-24. All of them were talking about how good that Duramax was pulling our camper up hills.. Told them on the CB it as a cummins and thanks.:cool: 267 miles there and around 150 miles riding around there. Back home and filled up that following Tuesday. :eek: only 13.5698 miles per gallon for the trip. :angel: Sure made me feel good to see that out of it. As I ran it hard and was testing it out good. I do wonder if the muffler I put on it cut down on power and MPG? Plus had a new air filter ordered and it did not come in until after we left. So it may get better with the new filter. And thinking about taking the muffler off and seeing if it does rob it on MPG? But the company claims it adds no back pressure, and man it does quieten down that 5" exhaust. Will be tuning it up next week, theres a few sensors that when not cleaned will cut down what one will get out of fuel milage. And betting they have not been cleaned when the motor was installed or after.
Pete

scottyb

That is a gorgeous truck. Too bad there will not be any more like it. We bought a new 2009 in 2011 for a fuel and lube truck. We were very fortunate to find it. It has the big Duramax instead of the Cummins, but is still a nice truck. I was in the market for another in 2012, but couldn't find one anywhere. Ended up with a F550. Not in the same class as the Top Kick, but still a very nice truck and pulls the 26K gooseneck very well.

Boldlion1

Yes been in touch with Trailer saver and they told me it was fine to add angle iorn to the bottom of mine and bolt it down like its big brother. But to not use it beyond its ratings. So I plan on making up a bracket that bolts to the rail system but allow me to bolt it flat to the bed. The bed has a 1/2" plate floor under the Diamond plate. So its going to be easy to bolt down.
Not sure on the stacks yet, but truck does not smoke much at all. And know some would rather have the smoke high then coming out from the bottom. As they claim there RVs get more stuff then with stacks.
Now for the bad news, Trip to our house today running 70 to 80 MPH on I-40. almost 22 MPG with no trailer. Was told it has gotten 25 MPG when you keep it under 70 MPH more like 65. And loaded with a camper like ours there fuel tickets with hand figured comes out to 15.4 from Fl to Denver Co. Motor only has 31,000 miles on it now. So if its getting this kind of MPG its going to make me smile. Allison has double overdrive with top Gear 0.61 and rearend is 5.13, using the cummins gearing stats it shows exhact RPM's they show for the BEST MPG. so it may well do it. But I will be happy with low teens loaded any day. Truck only holds 150 gallons so will not be fueling up as much as now.
Pete

What engine does your Kodiak have? I am looking at getting an 07 with 45k miles on it, but I believe it has a 6.6 in it,... or something like that. Wondering about mileage????

chiefneon

Howdy!

Congradulation on the new to you truck. We've been there done that. Purchased a new 2005 C5500 with custom Herrin. Was a great tow vehicle until GM dropped their Med Duty line. When we stared having problem finding parts for it we traded it for our now 4400 International custom 2L hauler.

"Happy Trails
Chiefneon

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Last week, while at the North Texas rally, we went over to the 2-L shop where we met Wayland Long, the owner. He produces some very sharp trucks and has quite a nice operation.

chiefneon

Last week, while at the North Texas rally, we went over to the 2-L shop where we met Wayland Long, the owner. He produces some very sharp trucks and has quite a nice operation.

Howdy!

Wayland is a rare bread these days, he still does business on a handshake agreement. We traded our C5500 in to him when we purchased our 4400 International from him. He let us drive it off the lot before we ever paid him for it 30 days later.

http://www.2lcustomtrucks.com/home.cfm

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon