Fun in the cold

Lou_and_Bette

On Sunday, 2 March, at 11:30 PM, with the temp hovering in the 12 degree range and the wind howling here in Mansfield, Texas, the furnace, which had been functioning great all day, decided not to work. The DW noticed the temp in the trailer was 64. I switched the system off and back on. The fan came on, ran for about 60 seconds and promptly quit. I repeated this action several times with the same results. Using some of the knowledge from the forum, since I had recently filled the DS tank and had the switch selecting this tank, I went out in the cold, turned the tank off, noting the frost line was near the top, unhooked and reattached the pig tail, reopened the tank slooooowly and went back inside to try recycling the system again. No joy in Mudville. Went back outside to repeat the tank procedure on the ODS, noting its frost line was also near the top, hoping something had gone wrong with the other tank filling. Inside to recycle again, nope. Turned on the stove and had good flame on all 3 burners. Back outside to pull cover off furnace to check for blockage in the air flow. First 4 screws removed from large portion of panel using Phillips screw driver, next 4 screws need square headed driver which was at the bottom of the tool box in the back of the truck...gave up that idea. Went back inside, no luck on recycle. Pulled out the 2 electric heaters so we would stay warm and started Bette setting them up while I pulled the grate off the cold air return to look for blockage...seeing none, rapped on furnace housing several times, recycle system, nada. Now worried that no heat going to underbelly, back outside to pull basement wall after clearing enough stuff to get to it. Finally, after getting access to area behind UDC, placed light to provide some heat to pipes. Back in for another try...didn't happen. Thinking enough gas flow for stove but not enough for furnace, dug heating pad out from bottom of DW's closet without plug because it was wedged in gap in forward side of wall. No spare plug in electrical parts box, cut plug off spare extension cord and spliced on heating pad cord. Back out in cold to place around DS tank hoping to warm slightly to increase vaporization. Back inside, recycle, knowing not enough time for any warming and still ran 60 seconds and stopped. While waiting for tank warming, remembered that thermostat some times was problem, maybe wire came loose. Tried getting cover off but, with very cold hands and in a very agitated state, was afraid of breaking it. Snapped the half of the cover I did get loose back on, gave the thermostat a couple of good raps, recycled since I was there and eureka it worked. Let it run until it shut off, went back and got the cover off the thermostat and found no loose wires. Gremlins???? Went to bed, sleeping lightly, always listening for the furnace kicking on and off...worked all night. About 2:30 AM, got up to use bathroom and no water?? Knew I should go out and turn water supply off in case hose/pipe cracked to keep from flooding anything but there was no way I was going to get dressed and go back out in the cold. Had water hose wrapped with foam and heat tape inside so thought frozen area was in trailer. On checking next morning, while hose was protected, water had frozen inside brass pressure regulator. Removed the device and water flow was restored. Gremlins at work again? I also ride MC and every bike I ever owned has had a Gremlin bell attached. Bikers will know what this is, for you others, this is a small bell, that must be given to you not bought by you. Since bikes are prone to Gremlin problems, you hang this bell low on the bike, while stopped, the Gremlins seek refuge in the dome of the bell and then when riding the constant ringing drives the Gremlins crazy and they jump off the bike to be left behind on the roadway. We need something similar for our RVs. Hope you got a laugh from this true story. I know I now have another story for around the campfire. I'm tired of this cold.

TXTiger

Wow thats cold. Lou next time I see you I will get you a bell to hang on your RW. Sorry you had problems, glad you got the heater going.

scottyb

Florida is the best place to be in Winter, come on down.
Lindaw

Mansfield isn't exactly in the tropics. It's about 500 mi north of South Texas. Glad it worked out for you. There's not much worse than having to get dressed and go out in those conditions.

Lynn1130

The only place we have temps like that in the winter time is the mountains north and east and maybe in the southeast part of the state on rare occasions. Otherwise we are in the 40/50s at night and 70/80s during the daytime. And we have very low humidity as compared to Florida. We are also closer to Texas than Florida is :)

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Lou,
Lets start a Gremlin Bell give away. I can always use one, had one on my Harley and never had a problem.
Jim

ADIRKS30

On Sunday, 2 March, at 11:30 PM, with the temp hovering in the 12 degree range and the wind howling here in Mansfield, Texas, the furnace, which had been functioning great all day, decided not to work. The DW noticed the temp in the trailer was 64. I switched the system off and back on. The fan came on, ran for about 60 seconds and promptly quit. I repeated this action several times with the same results. Using some of the knowledge from the forum, since I had recently filled the DS tank and had the switch selecting this tank, I went out in the cold, turned the tank off, noting the frost line was near the top, unhooked and reattached the pig tail, reopened the tank slooooowly and went back inside to try recycling the system again. No joy in Mudville. Went back outside to repeat the tank procedure on the ODS, noting its frost line was also near the top, hoping something had gone wrong with the other tank filling. Inside to recycle again, nope. Turned on the stove and had good flame on all 3 burners. Back outside to pull cover off furnace to check for blockage in the air flow. First 4 screws removed from large portion of panel using Phillips screw driver, next 4 screws need square headed driver which was at the bottom of the tool box in the back of the truck...gave up that idea. Went back inside, no luck on recycle. Pulled out the 2 electric heaters so we would stay warm and started Bette setting them up while I pulled the grate off the cold air return to look for blockage...seeing none, rapped on furnace housing several times, recycle system, nada. Now worried that no heat going to underbelly, back outside to pull basement wall after clearing enough stuff to get to it. Finally, after getting access to area behind UDC, placed light to provide some heat to pipes. Back in for another try...didn't happen. Thinking enough gas flow for stove but not enough for furnace, dug heating pad out from bottom of DW's closet without plug because it was wedged in gap in forward side of wall. No spare plug in electrical parts box, cut plug off spare extension cord and spliced on heating pad cord. Back out in cold to place around DS tank hoping to warm slightly to increase vaporization. Back inside, recycle, knowing not enough time for any warming and still ran 60 seconds and stopped. While waiting for tank warming, remembered that thermostat some times was problem, maybe wire came loose. Tried getting cover off but, with very cold hands and in a very agitated state, was afraid of breaking it. Snapped the half of the cover I did get loose back on, gave the thermostat a couple of good raps, recycled since I was there and eureka it worked. Let it run until it shut off, went back and got the cover off the thermostat and found no loose wires. Gremlins???? Went to bed, sleeping lightly, always listening for the furnace kicking on and off...worked all night. About 2:30 AM, got up to use bathroom and no water?? Knew I should go out and turn water supply off in case hose/pipe cracked to keep from flooding anything but there was no way I was going to get dressed and go back out in the cold. Had water hose wrapped with foam and heat tape inside so thought frozen area was in trailer. On checking next morning, while hose was protected, water had frozen inside brass pressure regulator. Removed the device and water flow was restored. Gremlins at work again? I also ride MC and every bike I ever owned has had a Gremlin bell attached. Bikers will know what this is, for you others, this is a small bell, that must be given to you not bought by you. Since bikes are prone to Gremlin problems, you hang this bell low on the bike, while stopped, the Gremlins seek refuge in the dome of the bell and then when riding the constant ringing drives the Gremlins crazy and they jump off the bike to be left behind on the roadway. We need something similar for our RVs. Hope you got a laugh from this true story. I know I now have another story for around the campfire. I'm tired of this cold.

WOW... and I thought I was all alone on the night of march 2nd out freezing to death. We left on March 1 at noon to go to a cousins wedding 2 hours away, had 1 full tank and one 1/2 full tank. Forecast was for a low of 14 that night, high of 14 on March 2nd (Sunday), and a low of 0 Sunday night. We figured all would be ok as long as we were back Sunday evening to switch to new tanks if needed. Well we stayed later than expected with family and got to our rig at about 10:30, the temp inside was 32. So I go out and check tanks, first one is basically empty with lots of frost on bottom 2 inches. 2nd tank is FULL so now I`m wondering whats up, so back inside and shut furnace off, turn back on, no luck. So back out to tank, and this time I notice I had not fully opened the valve on tank 2. :mad: So I turn it on, go back in and cycle the furnace several times before it will turn on. So then it starts up the long process of heating things back up from 32 and its 10:30 p.m. And then I go check thermometer in basement and it says 22 :(. Back inside to see if I have water and of course not! so we sorta sleep in the truck till 1:30 and we have a temp of 60 inside 5er finally. The water did not work until noon the next day after keeping the furnace set at 76 all morning. high that day was 20. that night our fresh water tank runs out, so I go to get the hose out and fill it, but of course the campground hydrant is froze, so I get the kerosene space heater out of the back of my truck that I took from work that day, and I blast it right at the hydrant until I get water! :D.

Lots of lessons learned and new tricks learned!
One is that I went and got foam insulation board to put under the rig and keep it a bit warmer and to keep wind out, 2 is that I will buy me the overly expensive heated hose and keep campground hydrant heat taped so I always have water, 3 is to ALWAYS make sure valves are fully opened, 4 is to always use a 100lb popane bottle in winter, 5 is to always have a 150,000 btu space heater at the ready to quikly thaw frozen things!!

ADIRKS30

6, winter some where warmer.

I wish... I have to work, where and when there is work. I am not retired yet! We live in our 5th wheel while working on the road. Its better than me staying in motel all week and now my wife and 1 year old son can go with me and have a home away from home.

jbeletti

I always love a good Lou Dick story. First one I read online. If you have never met Lou, he's a master storyteller in person. Love ya Lou!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So sorry, Lou! We don't normally see temps/frozen precip. (especially in March) like that in North Texas. Glad you go it working. I know that "lightly sleeping listening for the furnace" syndrome. We had ours stop working in the middle of the night in Durango, CO at Christmas, but luckily it was an easy fix... the tanks didn't switch because one wasn't open. Still, I worried. ;)

Sumo

Working away from family is tuff. Looks like you Having family close makes it much easier.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

scottyb

So sorry, Lou! We don't normally see temps/frozen precip. (especially in March) like that in North Texas.

I heard the weatherman say that we have had 7 icing events this winter in central Texas. The most I ever remember before was 3 in one winter, and that was in the 80's.

stevenssr

I was at Canton, Tx last weekend (first Monday) and thought it would rain, dry up, and then freeze. Nope. It rained, froze, and sleeted. I was supposed to leave Monday but ended up being there until Wednesday because the slides had several inches of solid ice on top of them. The only reason I got out then is someone with a ladder helped me get the ice sheets off. I'm going to make sure I have a ladder with me from now on. The stock ladder scares me to death and I won't use for anything except to hang things on.

All of this got me thinking about ways to get ice off the slides so that you can get the slides in and leave when you need to. I thought about tarps with pull ropes attached, heated blankets, etc. Anybody have clever ideas to get ice off the slides? The people with slide toppers were in the same boat I was, so that isn't a solution.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We learned the hard way not to let snow melt and refreeze on the slides. I had to get on the roof, lean over the slide and chip at it. I think we also used a spray can of de-icer, which helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk