Used Tires on a New Rig (SOB)?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
We were at Camping World of Tampa the other day with some time to kill before the store opened. We wandered through a few rigs and I noticed that the Infinitys had very worn tires on them. Our rig has 6k miles on these tires and they're nowhere near as bald as the ones on these brand new trailers. What's up with that? Have you noticed this issue before? I didn't check the landmark tires before we rushed off to shop so I'm not sure if it's a SOB issue or if there's something fishy with that CW. But if I'd bought one of those new rigs, I'd have insisted on brand new tires. And if it was my rig, they'd be replaced immediately. They were that bad.

-Alice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Used Tires on a New Rig?

We were at Camping World of Tampa the other day with some time to kill before the store opened. We wandered through a few rigs and I noticed that the Infinitys had very worn tires on them. Our rig has 6k miles on these tires and they're nowhere near as bald as the ones on these brand new trailers. What's up with that? Have you noticed this issue before? I didn't check the landmark tires before we rushed off to shop so I'm not sure if it's a SOB issue or if there's something fishy with that CW. But if I'd bought one of those new rigs, I'd have insisted on brand new tires. And if it was my rig, they'd be replaced immediately. They were that bad.

-Alice

Chance it was a deterrent to tire thieves, if they've been having a problem. Put the new tires on the rig at delivery to the customer, rather than getting stuck with a loss. If it ain't nailed down, some butt-head will steal it.

brianharrison

Alice,

Are you sure they were worn? Irregular pattern? no tread depth? The reason I ask is tread depth can be different between tire brands/models and they could look worn compared to a different reference point.

I know when I look at my G614s they certainly look "worn" compared to a large rib style tire from another manufactuer.

In any event, review of a date code on a particular tire would help determine if they were new or not.

My thoughts...

Brian

GrumpyOneandTwo

Chance it was a deterrent to tire thieves, if they've been having a problem. Put the new tires on the rig at delivery to the customer, rather than getting stuck with a loss. If it ain't nailed down, some butt-head will steal it.

Ain't that the truth!!!!!! The have not's don't want to work for it......well, except the work of stealing it!!!!!..lol...

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker

Yeah, they were definitely worn. As in, no tread, unless the outside 2 inches of tire is supposed to be completely bald. And the tread that was left wouldn't have passed muster with a tire shop.

It might be bc of thieves. They had the TVs removed as well.

donr827

Yeah, they were definitely worn. As in, no tread, unless the outside 2 inches of tire is supposed to be completely bald. And the tread that was left wouldn't have passed muster with a tire shop.

It might be bc of thieves. They had the TVs removed as well.

The outside edge of the G614 G/Y tires look like they are bald when new.
Don

whp4262

A few years ago when I had an auto shop I had the engine out of my wife's car with the rest of the car parked in back. Guy stopped by and wanted to buy the tires but I told them they weren't for sale. Next morning I was unlocking the shop and there was the wife's car sitting on the drums, wheels and tires were gone. Guess I should have sold them, at least I would have made something off of them.