Towing a Cyclone 3110 Toyhauler....

Cjackg

I am about to close a deal on a 2014 Cyclone 3110 loaded with some nice features & options.

I am also buying a new 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4 shortbed as a tow vehicle. The 2015 Chevy has improved specs of 17,100 fifth wheeling tow capacity and 2793 Payload capacity. I believe it will handle the 3110 but can add airbags if necessary.

When traveling with the 3110, we will be hauling our Can-Am spyder in the garage with a weight near 950 lbs which will likely reduce the pin weight some.

I am in the process of selecting a hitch for the 2500.

Interested to hear any comments regarding all the above and recommendations for a hitch. I am hoping to get by with the Cyclone 88 degree turn capability and not use a sliding hitch...

Hope to get some helpful comments here...

Jack

danemayer

You'll be way over the truck's payload spec. You should buy at least a 3500. The price difference is minimal and it'll give you something like 4000 lb payload.

scottyb

I agree. The price difference is minimal and the footprint and drive train are the same.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
You'll be way over the truck's payload spec. You should buy at least a 3500. The price difference is minimal and it'll give you something like 4000 lb payload.

No he wont. He is not even going to be close to the 2015 2500 GCWR while towing a Cyclone 3110.

OP, your numbers are fine. The GVWR of the 3110 is 15,500 and the pickup that you spec'd is good to 17,100. You will have 1,600lbs of towing capacity after to MAX out the trailer's GVWR. So depending on Pin weight after the trailer is loaded you will have quite a bit of room left to load up the pickup. It also has a payload capacity of 3082lbs (Includes 150lbs for the driver)

IF the OP considers a 3500 SRW the towing capacity is the same at 17,100lbs but the pickup payload is increased from 3082lbs to 4264lbs.

caissiel

Just don't overload the tires and you should be fine.
Toyhaulers do have unpredictable pin load that favors DRW trucks.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

DW_Gray

Specs for the 2015 Silverado 2500, Crew Cab, Standard Box,
Duramax® 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine, 4WD, Rear Axle 3.73

Curb Weight 7294 lbs
Max Payload 2793 lbs (This is before you add the hitch, etc.)
Max GVWR 10000 lbs
Max Conventional Trailering 13000 lbs
Max 5th Wheel Trailering 17100 lbs
GCWR 24500 lbs
Front Gross Axle Weight Rating 5200 lbs
Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating 6200 lbs

CY3110 GVWR 15,500

Possible Pin Wt.
My CY- 17% = 2635
Average- 20% = 3100
GHWR- 25% = 3875

It is unlikely you'll exceed the GCWR/Towing Capacity, but you will be cutting it really close on the rear axle. You may exceed it entirely without adding an air bag and or installing aftermarket springs.

As soon as you have more details on the truck, consider using the http://BYBRV.com app and or read: http://fifthwheelst.com/before_you_buy.html

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Payload is way too close with the 2500. Why take the chance? Get the 3500. Been there, done that.

danemayer

The truck payload not only has to carry the pin weight of the trailer, but also the weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, passengers, pets, tools, and anything else you put in the truck.

If you already owned the 2500 and didn't want to shell out a bunch of money to upgrade, that would be one thing. But since you haven't bought yet, save yourself a bunch of aggravation and worry. Spend the extra $1000 or so to get a 3500.

Ladiver

I have the Cyclone 3100. Get the 3500 truck. I know too many people that got a 3/4 truck and later upgraded to a 1 ton. For the little difference up front, you give yourself plenty of wiggle room with the 1-ton/3110 combo.

My 3500 SRW barely knows that a 5er is even hooked up! I carry no toys, so I am sure my pin weight is more than 20%!

ILH

Payload is way too close with the 2500. Why take the chance? Get the 3500. Been there, done that.

I totally agree. I have the 2500. I kick myself every day for not paying the SMALL difference in price and getting the 3500. I think it was under $2,000 to move up to the 3500 when we were buying new.

MonsterRide

Agree. I have a 2012 3110 Cyclone and pull it with a 2012 Ram 3500. The difference between the 3/4 ton and the full ton is basically springs in the back. Remember that torque is not the only issue: think about the braking capacity. I'm not sure about the Chevy, but the Ram has multiple slowing mechanisms including exhaust brakes, trailer brakes, down shifting, and heavy duty break pad size. Using the exhaust brakes I've towed my 3110 down a 6% grade without using the manual brake.

Regarding the hitch we have the Husky with a manual slide. I like the manual slide because I don't have to worry about the slide giving in situations when I may not need it. I have not needed to use the slide yet because of the Cyclone's 88 degree front panels. My Ram is the crew cab short bed.

When deciding on the truck I looked at a lot of features and it came down to either the Ford or Dodge. The kicker was that whenever I was on a highway and noticed 5th wheels, there seemed to be many more Fords and Rams pulling them than Chevys.

Either way, good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cjackg

Your credibility was looking pretty good until you zeroed in on the Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy and the decision made on highway observations!

MonsterRide

Your credibility was looking pretty good until you zeroed in on the Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy and the decision made on highway observations!

The premise is that you would hope most people would do their homework before purchasing a tow vehicle (as you are). So if you believe the premise (as I do) and consider that a highway would be a random sample of tow vehicles then actually this method would carry some empirical credibility.

Try it! Count the next 60 or so vehicles pulling a 5th wheel and keep a hard count of the make. In most cases it's pretty easy to determine the make even at a distance.

For what it's worth...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD