rv shower sunlight replacement or fix - help or advice

szewczyk_john

We finally were able to get the cover off of our road warrior last night and discovered something. The skylight over the shower has three cracks in it. Two are located from the screw locations and stop before the bubble portion of the skylight. The third starts at the corner screw hole and runs up four inches onto the bubble portion. This crack is wide enough that you can see space between the two cracked pieces, leaving a gap. Until I can get a new one ordered, can I just put caulking over these cracks? I checked the interior and I see no water damage. I have never seen one of these apart so I do not know if they are double sealed or how they are constructed between what you see from the interior and the exterior.

Is the fix just to remove the old caulking, remove screws, remove cracked shell, replace shell, screws, and re-caulk? We always clean the roof in the spring, can I clean the roof before making the repair(this question will likely be answered by the construction of the skylight.

Our radio antenna has disappered as well. The base is still there but no antenna. Does anyone know if the base is standard for most RVs or am I going to have to replace the entire unit? Does that antenna help both AM and FM?

Thanks in advance for any replies or help

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't know about the skylight, but for the antenna several of us have found that connecting a splitter to the TV cable and connecting the radio to that gives much improved reception. I disconnected my OEM radio antenna long ago, and the outside whip either fell off or was swiped a while back.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have never had to repair a skylight, but if I were in your shoes I would go the caulk route.
For the crack that goes up the bubble I would drill a small hole, maybe 1/8", where the crack stops. This should prevent further cracking.
The a good caulk job.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Our current VA chapter leader (Flying Dutchman) replaced the skylight on his previous Sundance. I believe it was pretty simple - remove old caulking, remove screws, remove old skylight, fill in existing screwholes with caulk, lay down a sealing bead, replace skylight, put sealant in screwholes of skylight, reinstall screws, seal edge of skylight. He got a new skylight directly from Heartland I believe.

We finally were able to get the cover off of our road warrior last night and discovered something. The skylight over the shower has three cracks in it. Two are located from the screw locations and stop before the bubble portion of the skylight. The third starts at the corner screw hole and runs up four inches onto the bubble portion. This crack is wide enough that you can see space between the two cracked pieces, leaving a gap. Until I can get a new one ordered, can I just put caulking over these cracks? I checked the interior and I see no water damage. I have never seen one of these apart so I do not know if they are double sealed or how they are constructed between what you see from the interior and the exterior.

Is the fix just to remove the old caulking, remove screws, remove cracked shell, replace shell, screws, and re-caulk? We always clean the roof in the spring, can I clean the roof before making the repair(this question will likely be answered by the construction of the skylight.

Our radio antenna has disappered as well. The base is still there but no antenna. Does anyone know if the base is standard for most RVs or am I going to have to replace the entire unit? Does that antenna help both AM and FM?

Thanks in advance for any replies or help

Your skylight sounds exactly like ours after two yrs of use. I caulked the skylight while waiting for the new one, sure wasn't pretty but it worked. The procedure you have written is correct, but you may as well take a bucket with you to remove the skylight because it will probably come apart in little pieces when you try to pull it off. The key is not to be in a rush and to take your time getting the caulking off the roof before you install the new one. Be sure the new one sets fairly well on the roof with the holes lining up. Sounds like elementary advice but I've seen a person screw one down making the previous holes work. That put undue stress on the plastic and it cracked again. I'm also old school when it comes to using power tools on plastic, definite no-no in my book even though it saves time.
Good luck!

Last edited:

szewczyk_john

It is as simple as I thought but what would one use to get the old chalk of the rubber roof. I have used mineral spirits on vinyl siding before but I wouldn't even think about taking that up on the rubber roof. Any ideas would be appreciated. I called customer service and the parts are on their way.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I relocated a Fantastic Fan in my last rig. About the only thing you can do is just do your best to get the old stuff off.
I just did my best and never had a problem after I sealed everything up.
I used butyl rubber rope caulk under and then lap sealant after the installation.
The skylight should be no different than a fan.

Peace
Dave

oldmannj

I don't know if Heartland does it better than what was on my SOB, but I replaced the skylight and the answer is no they are not double sealed. I had quite a bit of water damage when I discovered my problem. They make Lexan covers which is what I would recommend. The factory uses a plastic that is susceptible to sun's UV rays. They say the lexan won't rot the same way, plus it's impervious to strikes by tree limbs. Butyl tape under the cover-dicor on top of the cover and screws.
The caulking removal is the tedious part!!! Get a couple of plastic putty knives and a LOT of patience. Wishing you luck. Let us know how you make out. ED.