Overheated Light Switch

CabinetmakerII

While wintering in Arizona this winter, some evenings can be cool forcing us inside. One evening while turning of the lights I noticed the light switch was hot. This switch powers four overhead lights in the kitchen and living area. I turned off two of the lights to prevent this overheat condition. Apparently the wiring is of insufficient size carry the load of all four lights. Anybody else having any issues? :confused:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Pull the switch and check the connections on the back side.
You may have to replace the switch and or the connectors.
I have seen this before.

Peace
Dave

evolvingpowercat

its not the wiring its the connection right at the switch that is generating the heat. Pull power and check the switch chances are there are just wires punched into slots on the back of the swith if it is the usual basic RV use kind Heartland uses. Replace with a standard residential switch or you can try to re-punch down the wires if you are knowledgeable about the punch kind that heartland uses.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had a slightly warm switch, then it was delaying turning on the lights (like a half-second delay). Pulled switch, it was a little brown! Replaced switch and wire connections as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk