"Unpublished" Option for G-Rated Tires/7000 lb Axles

GaryB

I spoke to a fellow at the factory yesterday re: option availability. He said they offer an "unpublished" option to upgrade to G-rated tires and 7000 lbs axles (on the Big Horns that come standard with E-rated tires and 6000 lb axles). Supposedly they are the same tires/axles that come standard on the quad-slide Big Horns. He said I'd need to ask my dealer for a price.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether this is already know, and so I thought I'd mention it. The only downside is, as I mentioned, they are the same tires as those on the bigger Big Horns -- which may be Chinese also??? Not sure about that.

Do you think they'd be a worthwhile option on a 3055RL for a part-timer? I'll likely be lightly loaded for travel.

Gary

vangoes

GaryB,
I'm also a partimer and I have the 3055 with the standard 6000 lb axle and E rated tires. I have put about 8,000 miles on the unit in a years time and "knock on wood" no issues. As a partimer, it is unlikely that you will overload the unit, so an upgrade to the axles and tires, in my opinion, would be mostly peace of mind......at least, IMHO.

grizzlygiant

A tire dealer exchanged my new "China Bombs" for Goodyear G614, installed and out the door , at a very reasonable cost....considerable less than what I would suppose the Heartland option would be. The tire shop is in Muskegon, MI; maybe there is a dealer near you??? As-for-me, it was well worth the cost in exchange for the peace-of-mind.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
we parttime in our 3055 aslo. We keep a watch on the junk we carry and are well under the max weight. I see no reason to upgrade the axels. Our mission tires have 10,000 miles on them and are wareing alright.
I have found that goodyear Marathon have an E rated tire @ 3420 lbs. So these will work on the 3055 with 6000 lb axels. They are $183 plus taxes canadian mounted and balanced.
Rand

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Our BIGHORN 3585 came with 7000# axle and G ratrd tires made in China. I am going to try them out for a while and see how they do.. Also had 110# pressure in them... Keep checking on them Pressure and heat...
Larry

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our BIGHORN 3585 came with 7000# axle and G ratrd tires made in China. I am going to try them out for a while and see how they do.. Also had 110# pressure in them... Keep checking on them Pressure and heat...
Larry

Larry,
My (G-rated, w/7k axles) "China bombs" as many call them, are still chugging along also. I will watch pressure and condition. I'm going to get as much out of them as I can, and when I upgrade, I will go to a better tire at that time
I don't think Heartland would use them if they were a liability, set to repeatedly cause a bunch of collateral damage to customers coaches. IMHO.

Last edited:

caissiel

I have the 7000Lbs axles and tires. My feeling is that the G tires tow much better then the E series. After all the truckers use also 110Lbs in the trailer tires. There are much less rolling resistence on G tires. The China G tires are very good on mine they are front truck application and trailer tires that are regroovable.

Wharton

You can order Goodyear G614's from the factory................I don't recall or have notes on the original price, tend to think $750 or so, not sure............

jbeletti

Folks,

This is all good discussion. Be aware though that this is a 3-year old thread that Larry has resurrected. GaryB, the OP on this one has moved on and no longer owns a Heartland.

Please keep the discussion going, just be aware of the thread age.

Jim