Changing my Mobile Internet Service Plan

jbeletti

Made some changes today :)

Our Scenario
  • We travel 200+ days annually
  • We use a lot of Internet - mostly for work
  • We use these devices to access the Internet: 2 smartphones, 1 tablet, 1 hotspot and 2 laptops
Our Current Internet Service Plan
  • We use the Verizon Everything plan that includes unlimited talk and text for both phones and a shared data pool across all Verizon devices (both phones, the tablet and the hotspot)
  • We usually buy the 20 GB data plan ($150)
Our Issue
  • At times, we bump up against that 20 GB and exceed it by 1 to 2 GB
  • The bump up from 20 GB in our plan is 30 GB. That's too much a bump and cost increase
  • Overages cost $15 / GB and we had $30 in overages for January usage
The Change
So time for a change and to try something different. Here's what we did:
  • Today, I took our Verizon data plan from 20 GB to 6 GB ($70 reduction)
  • Then I signed up for Hotspot service from Millenicom ($70 / 20 GB)
  • The net of these changes: Increased available "in-plan" data by 6 GB to 26 GB and kept monthly cost the same
Notes
  • I did pay $209.47 for the device (Pantech MHS291L), setup fee, shipping and first month's service fee. I'll consider $140 of that as "peace of mind" that the 6 GB of incremental data I get monthly will give me :) Then, when my Verizon hotspot device is no longer under contract, I'll drop that from my Everything plan and save $10 / month
Other
  • In the RV, I actually tether our hotspot device (via USB) to a WiFi Ranger Go router. Then we connect our phones, tablet and laptops via WiFi, to the WiFi Ranger.
  • When we're at a campground with included WiFi, we connect the WiFi Ranger to that. This allows us to offload some of our Internet usage from our cellular data plan(s) and onto the included campground WiFi.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We will keep this in mind, if and when Verizon kicks us off our grandfathered unlimited data plan....it's only 3g, buts works well for us...

jbeletti

Did they provide a national coverage map?

Dave - Millenicom is a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). This means they have no cellular network infrastructure of their own. Essentially, they're a wholesale data purchaser / retail data seller. At this time, they use Verizon's network. In the past, they also used Sprint, but that deal is over.

So - Millenicom's coverage map is Verizon's 3G/4G map. Here's Millenicom's coverage locator tool. You put in an address and while it puts a push-pin on a map, it does not show radiation coverage patterns. It just states what type of coverage you will get.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We will be interested to see how millenicom works for you. We have looked at it but don't need that much right now. Once I retire we will need more mobile data.

Kristy

hriker

They must have recently changed to Verizon because not long ago I checked their coverage map and they only had 2g in upstate NY. Just checked based on this thread and they now have 4g there. We need to make changes with our wireless access so I am really interested in how this works out for you Jim. Our 2 year contract with Verizon for our Mifi ends in December and is separate from our phone contract. Need to check further.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

DocFather

A biker Brother of mine has had Millenicom for 5 months and is really pleased with it. It has been on Verizon's network since at least then.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm also interested in following this. Our Verizon MiFi contract is up soon and when we get home we've been upping our 5G to 10G at $80/mo. Millennium will save us a bit in the long run with more allowable data. The kicker is if the coverage is comparable to Verizon's.

DocFather

I'm also interested in following this. Our Verizon MiFi contract is up soon and when we get home we've been upping our 5G to 10G at $80/mo. Millennium will save us a bit in the long run with more allowable data. The kicker is if the coverage is comparable to Verizon's.

Ray, the coverage of Millenicom is identical to Verizon's 3/4g since they use their LTE network and there is NO CONTRACT.

DougAndJudy

Our aircard contract with Verizon expired in December. Since then we switched to the same Millenicom plan as Jim. The hotspot we were sent is a Pantech MHS291LW branded as Verizon and the coverage is identical to what we had with the 4G aircard. We knocked our Verizon data plan back to 250 MB/$15 month to cover data for 2 phones. The unexpected bonus is that the new hotspot is delivering as much as 4x the speed that the aircard (a Pantech UML290) was delivering. BTW we also use a WifiRanger Go to connect all of our devices (wireless printer, iPad, laptops, etc.) to the hotspot or campground wifi if we are approaching our 20GB limit (not even close, so far).

porthole

Retired
Other
  • In the RV, I actually tether our hotspot device (via USB) to a WiFi Ranger Go router. Then we connect our phones, tablet and laptops via WiFi, to the WiFi Ranger.
  • When we're at a campground with included WiFi, we connect the WiFi Ranger to that. This allows us to offload some of our Internet usage from our cellular data plan(s) and onto the included campground WiFi.

Maybe time for a "whitepaper" (if there is one I didn't find it)? All things of networking while RV'ing.

Looking at your post and the WiFi ranger - on the page that link directs too is this comment "[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Geneva, Tahoma, sans-serif]An indoor WiFi router with LAN and USB accessibility that pairs with an [/FONT]outdoor WiFiRanger [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Geneva, Tahoma, sans-serif]solution."[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Geneva, Tahoma, sans-serif]Is something else needed to make this work?[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Geneva, Tahoma, sans-serif]As to the "white paper", I'm referring to a "what is needed" to get the most out of our smart phones, tablets, PC's, maybe even internet TV while we are out and about traveling.

Combos that work with camp WiFi, cell MiFi's - hot spots, maybe even portable sat internet coverage, which isn't that far away anymore. The routers, switches, antennas to make this all work.
All wireless - Cat 5E or Cat 6?
Wireless ac standard?
Not a lot in the 802.ac standard yet, but since my new PC came with the ac technology I updated the house router to a Netgear AC 1900.

Maybe task Matt at the 3G store.
[/FONT]

jbeletti

...Looking at your post and the WiFi ranger - on the page that link directs too is this comment "An indoor WiFi router with LAN and USB accessibility that pairs with an outdoor WiFiRanger solution."

Is something else needed to make this work?...

Duane - for my needs, nothing else is needed. Most users do not need/require Ethernet ports. For them, the WiFi Ranger Sky is enough. That's the item on the roof. Think if it as a WiFi bridge.

As I needed the Ethernet ports too, I also have the WiFi Ranger Go router. The Sky plugs into the Go via Ethernet cable and is POE (powered over Ethernet). The Sky acts as my External antenna to receive campground WiFi and transmit my own WiFi network signal.

The Go gives me those needed Ethernet ports and a USB port to tether my Hotspot modem.

Speedy

We've been using Millenicom since Nov 2012 and are very pleased. Since being a loyal customer our 20GB plan was switched to unlimited six months ago and we stream all the shows we miss without having a DVR.

Just set the MIL up because it was cheaper than cable or DSL for home use.

Dave49

Cant go wrong with Millenicom. It works great, good service and no contract. After 4 yrs of being with them I am very happy. They buy data from Verizon and use Verizon towers with the 20G plan. So if you want to see the coverage map look at Verizon websites map of coverage and that's what you get, even though they are not any part of Verizon as a business.

Dave

jbeletti

Millenicom increases rate by ~29% on 1-May-2014

Got a bit of an ouch today from Millenicom. A nearly 29% increase in my monthly service. So much for saving money :(

Millenicom Rate Adjustment: May 1, 2014

Due to increased data costs from the upstream carrier all Millenicom
broadband accounts (Hotspot, Advanced and Standard Plans) will allow for
20GB of data transfer for $89.99 monthly beginning May 1, 2014.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: Millenicom increases rate by ~29% on 1-May-2014

Got a bit of an ouch today from Millenicom. A nearly 29% increase in my monthly service. So much for saving money :(

Their website still says $69.99. Hmmmm...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Still may change as we are paying $50 for 5 gig a month with Verizon and using all of that plus an extra or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garypowell

I thought I would chat with them and see what they had to say.

18:41:06 Thank you for contacting us. An operator will be with you shortly.
18:41:06 Gary: On your $69 20 GBF plan what is the rate if you go over 20gb
18:41:11 Operator Samuel joined the chat
18:41:27 Samuel: Hello my name is Samuel.
18:41:53 Samuel: That plan will be 89.99 per month starting May 1st. If you wish to add another 20gb to that plan it will be another 89.99.
18:42:46 Gary: So there is no per GB rate?
18:44:02 Samuel: No there is not. Adding an additional 20gb will be available starting on May 1st.
18:45:30 Gary: Clarify that last statement. Are you saying a customer after may 1 will get 40 GB for the new rate?
18:47:19 Samuel: For 89.99 you will get the base 20gb of data dn can add 200 more gb for another 89.99.
18:48:13 Gary: Ok but is it 20 or 200 for the additional $89?
18:49:01 Samuel: I apologize for the for the mistype. It will be 20gb in every case
18:51:08 Gary: Ok. One last question. What guarantee do I have that the rate stays at $89? I have a friend who just signed up last month for the $69 plan and he now is told his rate is jumping up. Does not seem far to me as he has purchased all of your gear.
18:51:48 Samuel: I am not aware of any further price increases in the works currently.
18:52:56 Gary: But there is no guarantee of a year or some other timeframe?
18:53:20 Samuel: Unfortunately no. This is a no contract, month to month service.
18:53:48 Gary: Thank you Samual
18:53:56 Samuel: My pleaseure!
18:54:02 Samuel: Thank you for choosing Millenicom.

no joy here!

but as the previous poster noted it is still not a bad deal......sorry you got bit Jim!