Boily generator

Anyone have/used a Boily generator? Specs/noise level look good on paper. The Pro3600SIER is rated 3000/3300W and has remote electric start for only $1100. That is about 1/2 of what a Honda or Yamaha is. Just wondering about quality and real experiences from anyone who owns one.

gschaaf

Yes I have a boily gen with the Manual start. I had bought it last year for my trip out west. Myself personally don't think you can beat them for the price. They run quiet easy start and can run my a/c with no problem. When I ordered mine I had it 2days delivered to my door. I keep mine right in the back of the truck. Hope this has helped Good Luck.

guyc66

I read another thread on the Boliy generators from several years back and the consensus seemed to be positive overall. It seems to be a good choice especially at that price.

wdk450

I had one for a couple of years, I was pretty satisfied with it, the only problem is that a high security chain through the lifting bars did not keep thieves from stealing it out of my truck. The bars are the only logical place to chain it down, and they are easy to remove.
Also, after thinking about gas prices, Boily fuel consumption, and the price of RV spaces, I concluded if I need air conditioning, it makes economic sense to be at an RV park instead of using a generator. I now have a 1500 watt inverter generator at half the cost of the Boily that does what I need if I boondock.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've had a Boily for about 4 years. I've not used it for any great length of time but I like it. It's light enough to load in the truck bed, easy to start and pretty quiet. I have a noise level app on my phone and while I can't remember the exact numbers it was as advertised. I keep the fuel stabilized and start it about every couple of months and let it run under load for at least a half hour. I plug in a portable space heater set on high.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't plan to use one extensively, but want the option for backup power when needed, and for occasional dry camping. Sounds like it is a quiet alternative to the "big boys".

priorguy

I've noticed that Generac makes an inverter generator that HD sells for half the price of the Boily. I have plenty of experience with the larger backup Generacs but none with the inverter.

How does Generac stack up compared to Boily, Honda, Yamaha? They're a big enough name in the industry just not famous for the small stuff. Plus made with pride in the USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogie

I purchased a Boily last year. I used it for boon docking and it worked perfectly. It is strong enough to run my 15 K BTU air conditioner and charges my batteries quite well. If you are using it above 5000 feet in elevation they recommend you change the jet in the carburetor to the high altitude jet. Changing it is not too hard if you are mechanically inclined.

One of the best things about it is that, for the amount of power it generates, it's not too heavy to lift. And the price was right too.

If you buy the electric start model, the battery will run down if you don't start it periodically to keep it charged. I am currently thinking of adding a small float charger to mine for that reason.

What Bill Knight said about the lift bars is correct. They can be removed pretty easily, so they are not meant for security. I wrapped two interlocking security cables around mine (like you wrap a ribbon around a Christmas present). So far, so good.

Ray LeTourneau

I've noticed that Generac makes an inverter generator that HD sells for half the price of the Boily. I have plenty of experience with the larger backup Generacs but none with the inverter.

How does Generac stack up compared to Boily, Honda, Yamaha? They're a big enough name in the industry just not famous for the small stuff. Plus made with pride in the USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the largest Inverter genny is 2000 watts. Not really enough to power an A/C unit. Otherwise they look pretty good. I know they're designed and engineered in USA but I think they're made elsewhere. Link HERE

Mick3724

I am new to this forum so I would appreciate any help I can get. I am a food vendor that needs a very quiet generator. I already own a Yamaha 3000 IS and love it. It is super quiet and will not get me kicked out of shows that demand quiet generators. The down side of the Honda or Yamaha generators is the price. I saw a Boily 3600 with electric start at $1039.00 and also saw the DB rating between 53-58 which my Yamaha runs between 53-61 according to the book. I need a second generator to run at shows and wanted to save a little money but do not want a noise issue.

I would like to know if you consider the Boily to be on equal footing sound wise with the 2 generators I mentioned above. I would hate to spend 1000 dollars and get in trouble at shows because it was too loud. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mick

Bogie

I have not heard the other generators so I can't compare them directly to the Boily. I can tell you that I consider it (subjectively) to be very quite. When I was researching the Boily, I did see a couple of posts on YouTube with examples of the Boily running. I would suggest you do a search there and that will at least give you an idea.

Good Luck!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Do a Google search......my Boily like others had the Eco circuit board go out within the first 30 hours of operation. (out of warranty).
The factor tech spoke very little English.

brianharrison

Sound dB may be similar. Electrical performance is different from my research A Honda or Yamaha has a higher cushion for in rush. Quality of parts and construction may also a factor.

A less expensive generator may need to be replaced sooner or fail at the most inappropriate time. Not a big deal for personal use, but if your commercial operations require 100% reliable power, you may wish to purchase the more expensive unit.

In most cases you get whats you pay for. I believe this to be the case for inverter generators.

dlw930

I purchased a Boily last year. I used it for boon docking and it worked perfectly. It is strong enough to run my 15 K BTU air conditioner and charges my batteries quite well.

I recently bought a Boliy 3600 so I could run one 13500 btu AC unit or other electrical during an occasional boondocking. For the most part it seemed to work fine but when I tried to run an AC unit, the AC would start and run for a few minutes and then shut off. The Boliy would sputter and then run fine. Turned AC off for a couple minutes and then back on, then it would run for a few then stop. Don't know if this is a gennie problem or an AC problem, but AC runs fine on shore power, so suspect it's something with the Boliy. Tried second AC unit and same thing happened. Have you experienced anything like this? At 3300 peak watts and 3000 running watts, Boliy should theoretically operate AC fine as long as not too much else is drawing current. Second lesser problem is that when I shut the Boliy off after it's been running a while, it doesn't want to start for an hour or so, like it's flooded, but no reason it should be. Wondering if you had experienced this too? I may need to call the place where I bought the Boliy for guidance. Pretty bummed that I bought it to run the AC and it won't.

David & Donna
Joshua, TX
2011 Big Country 3595RE
2011 Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison DRW

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I recently bought a Boliy 3600 so I could run one 13500 btu AC unit or other electrical during an occasional boondocking. For the most part it seemed to work fine but when I tried to run an AC unit, the AC would start and run for a few minutes and then shut off. The Boliy would sputter and then run fine. Turned AC off for a couple minutes and then back on, then it would run for a few then stop. Don't know if this is a gennie problem or an AC problem, but AC runs fine on shore power, so suspect it's something with the Boliy. Tried second AC unit and same thing happened. Have you experienced anything like this? At 3300 peak watts and 3000 running watts, Boliy should theoretically operate AC fine as long as not too much else is drawing current. Second lesser problem is that when I shut the Boliy off after it's been running a while, it doesn't want to start for an hour or so, like it's flooded, but no reason it should be. Wondering if you had experienced this too? I may need to call the place where I bought the Boliy for guidance. Pretty bummed that I bought it to run the AC and it won't.

David & Donna
Joshua, TX
2011 Big Country 3595RE
2011 Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison DRW

Check the two 1/8" carb. vents out the rear of the unit...make sure they are not pinched. Gas cap vent open? The Boliy's require a smaller jet if operated above 5000'ele.

Bogie

I had the same thought as westxsrt10 regarding the high altitude jet if you are above 5000. Two other things come to mind. Are you running the generator in the econ mode when the AC stops running? I would suggest the econ switch be off when running the AC. Second, I have read on other forums that others have changed the start capacitor to a "hard start" capacitor. This may be a factor if the temperature is above 90 degrees. Here is a link that talks about it.

http://www.loveyourrv.com/installing-hard-start-capacitor-into-my-rv-air-conditioner/

Beyond that, I can only tell you that I have had no problem running my AC with the Boily, but have never used it when it is really hot out.

Ray LeTourneau

I have a Boily and have not used it for an extended period. I did test it with our BH for about an hour running the 15K A/C unit and did not experience any problems. Just last week I had trouble getting it started and had to remove the top, two sides and rear panel to access the carb. I cleaned the foam air filter and used a little fuel directly into the carb and it started right up. I ran it for about an hour. It now has fresh fuel so I should be OK for the next time.

wdk450

I have a Boily and have not used it for an extended period. I did test it with our BH for about an hour running the 15K A/C unit and did not experience any problems. Just last week I had trouble getting it started and had to remove the top, two sides and rear panel to access the carb. I cleaned the foam air filter and used a little fuel directly into the carb and it started right up. I ran it for about an hour. It now has fresh fuel so I should be OK for the next time.

Ray (and All):
The few times I had a problem starting my Boily (now stolen) I just used ether starting spray. My motto is: "if it can't be started with ether spray, it needs major repair". The air intake is on the rear panel, lower section, pockmarked with air holes. That is where you spray a small shot of ether, then try to start it. When having starting problems, using the rope pull is better than using the electric starter, as the battery is not loaded down, and you get a stronger spark.

There USED to be a fulltime RVer calling himself "The Boily Guy" who had a website and was at Quartzsite every year. He used the Boily generators for 5 years of his fulltiming, and knew them forwards and backwards. I think that all of the new competing distributors out there took him out of the business. You might look for him at Quartzsite again next January. His website has been taken down.

One last edit: Since the design of the Boily makes it difficult to chain down (the carry bars are easily removed/cut), you might want to consider "branding" the generator hard plastic case with your driver's license number and state abbreviation (i.e. "Ca."). I used a soldering iron tip on the plastic, and then highlighted the markings with a black permanent marker, to mark my replacement generator. Of course, this is no guarantee of theft prevention, but law enforcement can easily contact you based on the driver's license number. Pawnshops and other legitimate buyers should be wary of buying anything so marked without checking it out, to avoid a "receiving stolen property" charge. One time I had the sheriffs call me early one morning about my tool box so marked, stolen from my van during the night - I didn't even know it was stolen!