Towing a NT 32bud caliber ed with a 2014 Expedition with HD tow pkg-

Explorer

I just put a deposit on a NT 32 BUDS caliber edition, rated at 7063 lbs. I will tow with the 2013 expedition w/ HD tow package including trailer sway and trailer breaks rated to tow 9200 lbs. I have weight distributing hitch that I will use. Sales folks say I am fine to tow this TT with my vehicle but I would like to hear what other owners tow this model with or advice on if this will tow comfortably.

jimtoo

Hi Explorer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get opinions soon from our other family members.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

I just put a deposit on a NT 32 BUDS caliber edition, rated at 7063 lbs. I will tow with the 2013 expedition w/ HD tow package including trailer sway and trailer breaks rated to tow 9200 lbs. I have weight distributing hitch that I will use. Sales folks say I am fine to tow this TT with my vehicle but I would like to hear what other owners tow this model with or advice on if this will tow comfortably.

I have an Expedition like yours and I had the exact same question when I considered getting a 31BHDD which weighs about 6700 dry. After doing a lot of research and calculations I felt that I would be pushing the Expy to it's limits and that it would not be a comfortable tow on long distances. We decided to get a 28BRS instead. The limiting factor on the Expedition is the hitch weight and the payload capacity (listed on the sticker by the front door) which can be easily exceeded if you have 4 passengers, no cargo, and a hitch weight of over 800lbs. Unless you show up in a Fiat sales folks will tell you that you'll be fine to tow your new rig.

priorguy

I agree about salesmen. I had two small SUVs that when equipped for towing were good for 3500 pounds. Otherwise only 2000 pounds. Salesmen always tried to sell to the max. Then I bought a truck and made myself aware of the limits. I bet if the Fiat had a fifth wheel jaw on the roof you could take off with a fiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Your right about salesmen selling a 5th wheel trailer to anything with a hitch.
vsr.JPG

Attachments

• b5335d4ace80c1b9daf9d6350269af9f.jpg
    b5335d4ace80c1b9daf9d6350269af9f.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 49

priorguy

Agreed.
du5a3uhy.jpg

JJensen79

I have the same trailer and had the same truck. It was fine for short distance towing but that was it. It was really underpowered and not really all that stable. We are running an Equa-l-zer brand hitch 12000/1200 and after multiple trips to the scales and setups we could just not get it to settle in. We ended up getting a 2005 ford excursion and it was a night and day difference.
IMO the expy can pull a lot on paper but in reality in isn't that capable.

mrsspady

I pulled my 32 buds on one trip with my 2011 expedition. It was the most frightening thing I ever did with my kids in the truck,whenever I would get hit with a cross wind it tossed the truck around badly to the point the computer would take over and apply the trucks brakes. We had to start taking two vehicles on road trips so I could pull with my regular cab f250.this summer will be great with the new f350 crew cab.

John11871

I also just bought a 14 32BUDS. I had a 2010 Ford F150 5.4 V8 supercrew not the Eco boost. I pulled it home and took it up in the mountians and felt the truck labor and gas sucked down, I did not feel safe. My precious cargo the family deserved better. The next week I got an F250 Diesel I get better gas milage and the thing pulls like a dream.

jedelaney

I am new to this but I just bought a 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax and a 2014 North Trail 32 Buds. The Tundra has a 5.7L engine and tows the 32 Buds easily. I just towed it from Camp Lejeune, NC to Lynchburg, VA with no problems. My gas mileage on average in the city is about 13.5 MPG and it stayed the same wih the trailer. Also, I am moving right now so the trailer is very heavy (I weighed it but don't have that with me right now) and still was able to keep the speed limit up and down the mountains (within my comfort zone - again, still new to this). I only offer this to say that there are some 1/2 ton trucks out there that can tow the 32 Buds well with no effort. I have a friend who has the exact same trailer and towed it with a Sequoia with no problems. He just upgraded to a Nissan NV3500 as they are expecting their 5th child and need more room. They pulled the 32 Buds this weekend fully loaded with no effort. I could be naive but this is just a newbie's experience so far. Also have a brake controller and weight distribution/sway control (see signature). Only had one episode of swaying but was likely my fault being distracted by kids fighting in back seat. I will say that there is a stretch of road around the west side of Raleigh, NC where I felt like I was all over the place bouncing up and down. However, my wife who was traveling separate behind me said she felt that too in her vehicle. Glad we traveled separately because I was ready to find a service center to assess my setup. Otherwise, no issues at all.

My .02 please take with a grain of salt as this is my first trailer and diesel truck. I picked up my 33bkss this afternoon and drove it home. I have a 2500 cummins, some big ol weighted hitch, sway control, brake control and so on. I could feel the trailer sort of pushing me around a little bit. The ride was not as smooth as I thought it would be especially with all that stuff on the hitch and trailer tongue.

The Dodge is rated for 16k lbs towing. We did take off with ease but could feel the gas being sucked down. I did not have many flat parts to truly feel the ride and power. With all that said, I would not want to try to pull this trailer (8k) with anything else. I think you would be pushing the limits and suffer in power.

Again, this is my first bumper pull and diesel so please take this with a grain of salt. Just wanted to share my experience