Our New Heartland Gateway 3650 BH

ppieplow

Hello,

This post is long overdue! Actually several months overdue! Thanks to all that gave us input and suggestions in previous posts.

We purchased a Gateway 3650 BH back in November from Camping World in Tallahassee. We are very pleased so far! One lesson I have learned: do not take delivery the day/evening before Thanksgiving. We developed a list of 10 or so items for repair and only 3 made it on an official "fix" report. Fortunately, Camping World has been very cooperative on getting the rest of the items that needed attention on an official repair report. Heartland has also approved all repairs, parts have been ordered and repairs have been scheduled for later this month. It has been a "process" with several 1.5 hour trips to Tallahassee, but there is a happy ending very soon. Trying to attach photos but unsuccessful at this time.

We actually took our first family camping trip to Pine Mountain, GA and stayed at the Pine Mountain RV Resort. I highly recommend this campground if you are ever in this area. We went during Christmas for the light show at Callaway Gardens. It is spectacular and our kids had a great time. For you history buffs, this campground is located near Warm Springs, GA where you can tour FDR's "Little White House" and the pools where he came for treatment. You can also drive and hike to his favorite mountain view with in the state park.

Our next trip is planned for this weekend. We are headed to Camp Wilderness at Walt Disney World, Orlando.

Thanks again for everyone on the forum who provided valuable information for us.

Philip

ppieplow

I do have one question as you read our post. Our rig came with the stainless steel commercial refrigerator and power invertor/convertor. There is a white switch above the instrument panel by the front door, which I assume turns the invertor/convertor on. In the forward storage area where the box for the invertor/convertor and battery are located there is a male electrical plug end. What is the for???

danemayer

Hi ppieplow,

Assuming you're talking about the 22 cu ft. residential refrigerator. The inverter (which converts 12V DC into 110V AC) should have a connection to a transfer switch. The transfer switch gets power from both the inverter and from shore power. If shore power is present, it routes shore power to the refrigerator. If shore power is not present the transfer switch routes the inverter output to the refrigerator. Sounds like maybe the connection between inverter and transfer switch is unplugged. Does your refrigerator run when shore power is disconnected?

ppieplow

Hi ppieplow,

Assuming you're talking about the 22 cu ft. residential refrigerator. The inverter (which converts 12V DC into 110V AC) should have a connection to a transfer switch. The transfer switch gets power from both the inverter and from shore power. If shore power is present, it routes shore power to the refrigerator. If shore power is not present the transfer switch routes the inverter output to the refrigerator. Sounds like maybe the connection between inverter and transfer switch is unplugged. Does your refrigerator run when shore power is disconnected?

Yes, I am referring to the 22 cu ft. residential refrigerator. This is our first RV so please be patient with me.

Define shore power.
What is the white switch used for that is above the main switch panel that controls all?
What does the cord in under storage need to be plugged into?

Our service rep wasn't clear either and I cannot find anything in the literature we have.

Thanks in advance

danemayer

Yes, I am referring to the 22 cu ft. residential refrigerator. This is our first RV so please be patient with me.

Define shore power.
What is the white switch used for that is above the main switch panel that controls all?
What does the cord in under storage need to be plugged into?

Our service rep wasn't clear either and I cannot find anything in the literature we have.

Thanks in advance

Shore power is when you're plugged into a power pedestal that supplies 110V to the RV.

As for the white switch, I can only guess. Control panel layouts are different on the various trailer models and change over time. However, my understanding is that with the residential refrigerator, there is an extra switch/push button that cycles the refrigerator's power inverter ON/OFF. If your coach is not plugged into a 110V power source, AND you want the refrigerator to run, the inverter must be ON.

As for the cord, again, I'm guessing, but my guess is that it's one of the inputs to the transfer switch that powers the refrigerator and that it plugs into the power inverter.

I have a preliminary diagram of the power system showing how the refrigerator gets power. I'm not sure it's entirely accurate as I have yet to see one of the residential refrigerator installations. But if you follow the electrical path on the right hand side from the batteries, you'll see that 12V DC power goes to the inverter, and from there to the transfer switch and from there to the refrigerator.

That's why I asked if your refrigerator runs when the coach is not plugged in to shore power. If it does not, then either the inverter is not turned ON or one of the connections is unplugged - probably the cord you're asking about.

If the refrigerator does run when not plugged in to shore power, then the cord is for something else.

Here's the electrical diagram. As I said before, it's preliminary and may not be entirely correct.

Attachments

• Residential Refrig Wiring Draft 1.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 60

ppieplow

Shore power is when you're plugged into a power pedestal that supplies 110V to the RV.

As for the white switch, I can only guess. Control panel layouts are different on the various trailer models and change over time. However, my understanding is that with the residential refrigerator, there is an extra switch/push button that cycles the refrigerator's power inverter ON/OFF. If your coach is not plugged into a 110V power source, AND you want the refrigerator to run, the inverter must be ON.

As for the cord, again, I'm guessing, but my guess is that it's one of the inputs to the transfer switch that powers the refrigerator and that it plugs into the power inverter.

I have a preliminary diagram of the power system showing how the refrigerator gets power. I'm not sure it's entirely accurate as I have yet to see one of the residential refrigerator installations. But if you follow the electrical path on the right hand side from the batteries, you'll see that 12V DC power goes to the inverter, and from there to the transfer switch and from there to the refrigerator.

That's why I asked if your refrigerator runs when the coach is not plugged in to shore power. If it does not, then either the inverter is not turned ON or one of the connections is unplugged - probably the cord you're asking about.

If the refrigerator does run when not plugged in to shore power, then the cord is for something else.

Here's the electrical diagram. As I said before, it's preliminary and may not be entirely correct.

Thanks for the diagram and the information. I will not be able to check things out until Wednesday do to working late, but I will keep you posted.

So here is what I'm reading of things I need to do:

Connect the towing power cord to my truck and unhook the regular shore power cord.

Flip the switch for the invertor on the inside panel and see if the refrigerator kicks on eventually. If it doesn't, than I need to find where that power plug cord in the under storage needs to be plugged into. Is that about right?

danemayer

Thanks for the diagram and the information. I will not be able to check things out until Wednesday do to working late, but I will keep you posted.

So here is what I'm reading of things I need to do:

Connect the towing power cord to my truck and unhook the regular shore power cord.

Flip the switch for the invertor on the inside panel and see if the refrigerator kicks on eventually. If it doesn't, than I need to find where that power plug cord in the under storage needs to be plugged into. Is that about right?

Yes, except that you don't need to plug into the truck. You just need to have a good charge on the trailer batteries. And the refrigerator should come on within a short time - probably no more than 30 seconds and perhaps within a second.

GWRam

I do have one question as you read our post. Our rig came with the stainless steel commercial refrigerator and power invertor/convertor. There is a white switch above the instrument panel by the front door, which I assume turns the invertor/convertor on. In the forward storage area where the box for the invertor/convertor and battery are located there is a male electrical plug end. What is the for???

Philip,
I have the same set up you do. I had the same questions also. I am going to try to attach two photos from Magnum Energy of the system set up which helped clear up the system operation for me. There are two ways to turn the inverter on, the white remote switch and the green power button on the inverter itself. The male electric plug from the transfer switch plugs into the GFI outlet on the inverter. Hope this helps.
Dave

Magnum Inverter CSW1012 Diagram.jpg Magnum CSW1012 Remote Switch.jpg