Satellite/local

sjrellis

Finally got the directv set up. Since we have service at our house in Texas, we do not have local channels here. So, so do we need an a/b switch? If so, can someone tell me exactly where you come out of and into exactly where on that switch?

Next dilemma. No receiver in bedroom. So, I understand that we can get satellite reception in there, but what the heck do we do? Another a/b switch? Going from where to where?

For now, it is satellite in the living room and local in the bedroom.

I'm SO excited to have lots of channels!!

linuxkidd

Can you tell me if the Bighorn has a separate satellite coax connection above the TV ( separate from the TV/Cable Coax connection ).

If so.. I can get ya there.. :)

If not.. It's a lil more work, but we can get ya going.

Can you explain how your current DTV Receiver is hooked up in the coach?

LK

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
I spent and exasperating afternoon doing the same thing. I got the living room set up. I ran a RG-6 cable from the input area behind the TV to our Direct TV input box. I ran an S-video to the Olevia TV and an RCA plug cable to the red/white sound input on the TV from the Satellite box. I was ready to throw the whole mes out UNTIL I started fooling with the remote. So...set the TV to channel 3, turn on the direct tv box, press the "source" button on the bottom left of the remote to S-video, and you should have satellite. Press source again to composite, and the DVD player works with surround sound. Ours is a Samsung brand, and Tuner will work when you hit tuner. Now the bedroom TV will most likely have to have its own satellite box and DVD since there is no continuity to the satellite from the bedroom. I'm experimenting with that next week with a diplexer switch between the satellite lead and the inputs in the water closet area. Good luck. It will come together, you just have to spend all day tinkering.

sjrellis

Ok, dh got the a/b switch hooked up in the lr. I just have to move the switch and put the tv on ch. 3 when I want to change from local to satellite.

Now, for the bedroom. Continuity? How is there continuity using the antenna and no satellite but no continuity with the satellite? Sounds complicated.

DennisZ

Here is a quick way to be able to watch the satellite in the bedroom and still use the factory wiring. Mine has been setup this way for the last year and works fine. I'm in the process of installing more coax cables and a switch to add even more capability. As soon as I get that done I will add more info.

Dennis

Attachments

• Bighorn Video Mod.pdf
    10 KB · Views: 60

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dennis, Am I correct in thinking you're using the coax coming from the BR to the LR to reverse feed the BR tv from the sat receiver as long as the amp is off? If so, cool! I never gave that any thought just because I didn't consider it "electronically" possible.

DennisZ

Ray
That is exactly correct, as long as the amp is off and no cable input is connected, it works great. I always watch the satellite on the LR TV off of the video input, because the loss thru the splitter is to great due to port to port isolation. Other than that, all works good.

Dennis