shower skylight shade

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Has anyone had experience with adding a skylight shade to block out some of the light? We had a water-resistant shade very similar to a window shade on our last unit, but this skylight is larger. Surely, someone out there makes a darkening shade or cover for this size skylight.

sjrellis

Seems like I remember Ray LeT doing something to his shower sky light to make it darker in there. I'll see if I can find it.

jwb187

We had that problem with too much light coming in from the shower skylight. Went to Walmart and found one of those small pull down shades that you use on auto windows, they have different color's etc.
Works very well with blocking the sunlight out and if you want sun it's easy to rollup.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We bought our roll up at Camping World and there sized to fit the vent. I haven't looked there for awhile but imagine they still carry them works fine....Ken

StevieWonder

GREAT idea on the rollup. I actually thought of exactly the same thing. You can also paint over the rollup to darken it from shade to "black out" level.

Another option is to use the metallicized plastic insulation padding, cut to size, and install with the "mechanical" type velcro. The mechanical velcro is much harder to find but infinitely more secure. The regular velcro will likely work if you run a length of the velcro "tape" around the skylight's perimeter.

Here's a link on one source for the mechanical lock type Velcro:
http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/item_D3B3E3E334B5A4B48493679627.html

You can buy this type material at most major RV supply houses and cut to fit:

solar-door-shade.jpg

Princess Kathleen

We did the auto sunblock fold up thing...cut to size of the shower skylight...velcroed all away around. When we shut the pocket door with pillows in the step it makes it dark...now if the neighbors next door would take care of their dog instead of throwing it out at the crack of dawn to do its business, then it howls to let them know it is through...we might be able to sleep a little longer..
PK