Break Question

sdgirl

Hope you guys can help here. I havent' called the dealer yet, cuz it's Sunday. Here's the problem (potentially). I got my rig home yesterday just fine. When I first started to leave, the first time I applied my breaks, the whole unit grab. I couln't tell if it was my truck, the controller (Prodigy) or the coach. So, I CAREFULLY backed up and got one of the techs. He said that my controller was probably dialed up too high. So we set it for 1.5 and that's how I drove home, on that setting. Everything was FINE, until after I got to my house. At first, I parallel parked, cuz I had some tree trimming to do. Did that, then drove the rig around the block, as I wanted to come down hill before backing up into my driveway. (My driveway had a bit of a slant to it, so thought it would be easier to get the trailer into the driveway by first going downhill, then backing uphill and up the drive, if that makes any sense). As I was driving around the block, the brakes started grabbing again. Really hard. If I so much as put my big toe on the break petal, the whole thing comes to a HARD stop. Any ideas???
Also, as I was backing up, getting the back end of the trailer to go Left (toward the drivers side) I noticed that the axels on the coach seems to be almost twisting? The tires didn't stay lined up. The back axel tires seemed to be "under" the coach farther than the front axel tires. Any thoughts? Is that normal?
Thanks in Advance!

fyrwlker

3370RL'ers
Breaks Grabbing

I had a 2005 Silverado with a Prodigy Break Controller installed and when I started pulling my 5th wheel around I had the exact same problem. I have a friend that is in the RV repair business and I asked him about the problem since he installed the controller in the first place. The Prodigy is a good product but this is what I found with mine:

Hills - Any sort of grade, especially heading down hill, makes the controller react quicker and harder.

Adjustment of Level - I had to adjust the level of the controller each time i hooked up for awhile until I learned to pull the trailer out into the middle of the street (on level ground) before hooking up my break controller.

In town driving - I got in the habit of turning the power gain on the controller way down when I got into town and the lower speeds.

Until I tried all of this it felt like the trailer was going to jerk the hitch right out of my bed everytime I hauled the thing.

todalake

Thanks flywalker for the advice. Being new to pulling 5th wheel I didn't know if that jerking braking was normal or not. THe service tech said set it here and then left. When I got in town and started braking it felt like the trailer brakes were exerting a lot more braking than the TV. It was like the trailer brakes would grab and let up repeatly while braking. BIL said that is NOT normal and should be smooth. It test again when it warms up and camping again.

jpmorgan37

todalake;

I would recommend that you check the adjustment of the brakes on the trailer also. It's possible that they are not adjusted properly which could also attribute to feeling that you are getting from your brakes.

John

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
SD girl
The tires going out of line as you have seen is just the way things happen. It actully happens on both sides. I think it is called torque
Regards
Rand

todalake

jpmorgan37

Check the brakes on the trailer or the setting on the Prodigy? Not real mechanical, what do I look for if I check brakes on the trailer? Dealer is about 150 miles away. Thanks

jpmorgan37

The brakes on the trailer. Over the years, I've seen many trailers that the brakes were out of adjustment after the first hundred or so miles. New shoes have to seat in and then need to be adjusted. Any auto or truck mechanic can adjust them for you. Just make sure that they don't place the jack on the axle tubing. It is not designed to be jacked upon. Use the spring mount or the frame.

John

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Whoooo Big Feller

Just my 2cents worth. I have always found that when the weather is cold or damp that the first 4-5 times I use the brakes, the trailer brakes grab very hard. After they warm up they work fine. Bob:D

dewwood

Just a couple of thoughts, the prodigy controller has to be level when it is installed in your TV. Make sure you did not bump it or otherwise get it out of level. As to the pulsing braking, if the controller is hooked up incorrectly it will activate with the turn signals or four way flashers causing your brakes to engage and disengage with every flash of your turn lights. These are just a couple of things to check, hopefully you will get it worked out.

jimtoo

This is from Prodigy site. http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html

"""PRODIGY® is the most advanced and intelligent approach to trailer brake controls. PRODIGY®, requiring no manual leveling, is a technological breakthrough among inertia-activated brake controls. Equipped with a self-adjusting sensing device similar to the one used in guided-missile technology to allow for easy, flexible installation — from nearly horizontal to nearly vertical — PRODIGY® constantly adjusts itself to the position of the tow vehicle.

Prodigy® Features
  • Applies power to the trailer brakes in proportion to vehicle's deceleration.
  • No level adjustment necessary - it adjusts itself to varying terrain as you drive.
  • The only inertial control that works proportionally in reverse - great for backing into tough spots."""

sdgirl

Thank you all! Great advice and gave me peace of mind. I'll check my controller first. Since I was parked on a hill right after I got home, that could have been part of (or the whole) problem.

Am taking the rig for small trip this weekend, so I'll let you all know how it went.

Thanks again~ You guys / gals are the best!

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I just bought a 2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x2 Lariat Diesel and the brake controller was installed at the factory. Does anyone know who manufacturers for them and should I be taking any precautions or have them changed? Since getting to Fresno from socal is almost impossible in this weather and the closing of the I-5 at the Grapevine occurs during inclement weather, I am a little worried about picking up my first fifth wheel at Clovis RV in the next couple of weeks.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Larry, we own a 2007 Ford F-350 with the brake control.I have had no problems with it and have not heard of any problems. I think you will enjoy how it all works.

Tom of Ypsi

You will love the Ford integrated brake controller. Pulling through the mountains is when I fully appreciated the bake controller.

ct0218

From what I've heard both the Ford and GM integrated controller is top notch, never heard anyone complain about them.

On my 2000 silverado, I have an older tekonsha brake controller. What I noticed is that the dealer tried to readjust them and thought they worked great. They did for awhile. I live upon a steep hill and what I realized is that going down that hill, I needed more help from the TT. After that I had to readjust. Coming off the interstate, DW and I almost went through the windshield. I went online, downloaded booklet for controller(since mine didn't come with one) and kept readjusting until I felt comfortable with stopping. Right now, feels like they are finally adjusted good. We will see in spring.
Good luck and Happy Camping!! :)