Hitches

Fishingicon

I'm closing a deal on a new Bighorn 3055RL. I'll be pulling it with a Ford F-250 (diesel) short box. I'm wondering about the need for one of the special hitches (name a brand) to help soften the ride, or will the factory hitch be adequate.
Thanx,
Fishingicon

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
FishingIcon, There several pinboxes out there that help soften the ride. Mor/ryde, trail-air, and 5th airborne. I would not spend the money for the air ride hitches. I bought the Mor/Ryde because my coach has the Mor/ryde suspention. The pinbox made all the difference the the ride and the CHUCKING while pulling on a rough road. Just my opinion. Bob PS Tweetys in Texas had Mor/ryde boxes on sale for $699.00 and no shipping charge. Good price:)

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We have the 5th Airborne and really like it, the ride is great but it is a bit of a pain adding air on a regular basis. The valve isn't in the most convienent place to add air while hooked up..../Doug

Fishingicon

Thanks,
We did close on the 3055, now we are waiting for the wx to turn warmer so we can give it a shakedown cruise. I'm not going back to pick it up until they can fully demo all systems, to include water (vs anti-freeze) and I can verify there are no leaks, and heating, cooling, gas and electrical systems are fully functional. The day we closed it was 4' and we drove thru a blizzard to get there. Not a good day for the walkthrough.
Thanx again for the inputs,
Fishingicon

JER-1

I beleive I'd get the goose neck big ball that hides in the bed of the truck when not in use and get the goose neck adaptor for the fifth wheel much smoother ride.aND NO NOISE
JER-1

sleeps2

Dave and Julia
We will be picking up our new 3670 in March and are wondering which 5th wheel hitch to purchase. We are new to 5th wheels and are looking for some advice from experienced 5th wheel users.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If you have a short bed there are some hitches you probably wouldn't want to use. You will most likely need a slider hitch.
If you have a long bed then you don't need the slider hitch and can use any one you like.

I like the B&W turn over ball with the Campanion 5th wheel.

bill40

Hi Fishingicon,
When we had a shortbed we had a Pulrite slider, they are expensive compared to a regular one. The Pulrite is automatic slider and we found it very handy in some of the smaller towns and campgrounds we were in. I don't know if the extra cost would be justfied for your needs. Good Luck with your new rig. Bill

caissiel

I always liked the F250 as a good Towing vehicle but liked the GM longer axle distance from the Cab. I towed my 5th wheels with GM short boxes with no problem with a regular hitch on the center of the axles, for 15 years. I found that the Ford and Dodge short boxes have a shorter distance from the axle to the cab and the guys here are installing the hitches behind the axle. I would not pull a 5th with this setup. So for Ford and Dodge that are up to 4" shorter then GM's the only box for me is the long box. I still cannot imagine why Ford and Dodge have such a short distance.
That's why I have a long Box F250. Though the long box is a problem in manuevering, Its great for adding stuff in the box. I have 2 full width tool boxes, carry my ladder, and stilll lots of space to load more equipment and tools.

Jimmyt5

I believe I'd get the goose neck big ball that hides in the bed of the truck when not in use and get the goose neck adaptor for the fifth wheel much smoother ride.aND NO NOISE
JER-1

If you use a Goose neck I think you will lose your warranty on the frame.