Schizoid Generator…...

oscar

2013 camper……. Onan 5500 gasoline…..35 hours total time.

All of last year it worked flawlessly…..After a few (4) months in winter storage (stabilizer added to fuel) I tried to fire it and it would run a few seconds…. like it wasn't getting gas and just running on the prime for a little. Tank showed half full, but you can't really trust these gauges so I added 5 gallons and it fired. At first trying to "die" every 15 seconds or so, later on every minute. After a half hour it was running well, I thought I was done.

Went on the road, topped off the tank, and used it a fuel/rest stops. Ran OK, still the RPM's would drop every minute or two, just for a second.

Then it ran perfectly. This morning it ran perfectly. 200 miles later we stop and I can't get it running, period. Runs for a second, shuts down. Got it running, put on a load BLAAAAAHHHHH…. shut down. Gave up.

300 miles later, fuel stop. What the heck, I hit the button. Started right up, ran perfectly for 45 minutes.

So I'm scratching my head.

Meanwhile, I have to figure out how long the warrantee is on this thing.

I hate intermittent problems.

hoefler

If you didn't run after put the fuel stabilizer in it, the fuel soured in the fuel line, fuel pump, fuel filter and the carburetor. It may clear up with fuel system cleaner, but you most likely need to have the carburetor cleaned

oscar

I put the stabilizer in with the fuel. I'll still run some cleaner in there. Any suggestions?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I put the stabilizer in with the fuel. I'll still run some cleaner in there. Any suggestions?

What hoefler is saying, when you add stabilizer to the fuel, you have to run the genny for at least 15 minutes so that the stabilizer gets into the "system". If you didn't do that initially, the fuel in the "system" will cause problems. Since it's sort of running OK, try adding a double dose of Seafoam fuel treatment. It works great in all fuels.

priorguy

Did you run the generator after adding fuel stabilizer before storing it? If you didn't the the carb etc must be cleaned now as the old unstabilized gas would have varnished. The spark plug seems fine if it can run that long. Something is plugged or sticking in the carb intermittently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldmannj

I'd look at the fuel bowl on the carb too. pull it off and see if there is any debris in the bowl. Sounds kinda like there might be some junk making the needle valve stick a bit. I'd for sure put in the injector cleaner too though. ED.

porthole

Retired
Before you too involved, try it with the fuel cap loosened up a bit.

"If" that solves your problem you could have a cap issue.

Or, in my case the fuel line was pinched between the wall behind the genny and the genny mounting tray. Was just enough that with the cap on it would cause - issues sometimes. With the cap loosened the hose allowed enough fuel to get through to run OK.

Tombstonejim

Pull the fuel bowel it is easy and clean it. The main jet sets right down into the bowel so clean it with something and also check the float pin for something blocking it.
I bet you are gonna find the bowel full of white powder closely resembling sand.

dave10a

If you stored it for a long time (months) without properly using fuel stabilizer and you try everything that has been suggested, you most likely have a corrosion problem of the fuel system that requires dismantling the carburator and cleaning it and/or replacing any corroded part. After doing that and things are running well again, you might consider changing you generator to propane which is easy to do if a change over kit is available. Propane generators don't have the storage problem like gas generators do. We clean many outboard boat engines every year because people do not follow the manufacturers recommendation for storage. We charge anywhere from $100 to $300 to get outboard engines running well again. Owners who properly store their engines have no related problem. Just saying :)

oscar

Oil is good.

I ran the thing with the stabilizer in it.

No corrosion, this thing has 35 hours on it…..

Will check the bowl. (Not bowel)

scottyb

After doing that and things are running well again, you might consider changing you generator to propane which is easy to do if a change over kit is available. Propane generators don't have the storage problem like gas generators do. Owners who properly store their engines have no related problem. Just saying :)

He has an onboard fuel tank. The only reason to have a propane generator is because you need to, because you don't have a fuel tank. I ran mine 72 hours straight last summer. I can't imagine the logistics of doing that and keeping propane bottles full. The best thing is to cycle fuel year round, but I know that may not be possible for everyone. I use the fuel station for the Mule, the mower, and other power equipment year round. I have heard good things about Seafoam.

dave10a

Propane is a good choice for infrequent and intermittent duty like back up. Propane advantage for long term (month's) storage is hard to over look. BTY some generators will shut down if there is an intermittent grounding or connection problem.

oscar

Put some magic elixir in the tank, and sprayed some carb cleaner in……. Running like new this morning. We'll see.