Factory Repairs Procedure

brlr2000

I have an appointment scheduled with the factory to get the overhang reinforced. It's caused several cracks near the bedroom slideout. My question involves the procedure at the factory. I understand that they will have it for up to 5 days, so I will need to make arrangements to stay in a nearby hotel. The factory release form states that I need to remove all personal belongings prior to getting the repairs done. Has anyone else been to the factory for similar repairs? I'm a fulltime RVer, so it's really not practical to remove 'all' of our personal belongings.

Niles

We just went though this last November, I think most of the reason behind this is so they don't have to work around your stuff. We felt like the bedroom slide was to be taken out and the nose cone had to be removed, which meant the closet needed to be empty. We moved a lot of our stuff to the main floor. Having stacks of stuff on the couch, however we did have a barn to put things in also, and had a lot there too. My best suggestion is to talk with them and tell them of your situation. One thing for sure they will take care of you at the factory. We can't brag enough about the great service they did for us. Not sure if I answered your question, but good luck.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We emptied ours but we are not full timers. I think it's a liability thing, so they are not responsible for your stuff.

They will take good care of you, we can attest to that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

When I had my frame flex repair done at the factory last June, Eric McDaniel gave me an exemption from the "empty out your stuff" clause because it was a long trip from Northern California. The shop guys went to great lengths to keep my refrigerator (electric) powered up and going during the repair.
Call Heartland Service and talk to Eric (he is difficult to get a hold of) or see if the service secretary will give you his e-mail address. Plan to do a lot of Amish sightseeing during your repair stay. South Bend, with Notre Dame University and the Studebaker museum are also nearby things to see, along with the RV Hall of Fame Museum in Elkhart.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Bruce and Linda,

Eric has the final say, but I doubt you have to completely empty the RV.

Just some suggestions:
1. Remove your food from the refer and turn it off. Use coolers etc. to keep your food safe and take them with you.
2. Remove valuables (cash, jewelry, firearms, keepsakes etc) for storing with you
3. There's a local U-Haul place where you can buy packing boxes. Pack up your bedroom and closet into boxes and store what you can, in the lower level of the coach
4. Take what may not fit and store elsewhere

I can't speak for Eric, but perhaps he will allow you to store the boxes at the repair location in a corner. Note that if he approves that, it's at your risk and it's VERY dusty in there due to all the fiberglass sanding. If you are allowed to store there, drape a sheet of plastic over your stack of boxes and tuck it under the bottom layer.

brlr2000

I just spoke with Heartland, and they said I only need to remove items from Bedroom Wardrobe closet and items under the bed. I didn't think about the refrigerator...I certainly understand the concern about leaving the propane on, but I expected that they would keep the RV plugged in to AC power. I'll have to check on that.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
To reiterate one point Jim said, everything inside your rig will have a fine layer of dust one they are done and will need a thorough cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk