Help! Buying a 2014 31 QBS....

sand0344

Hello ALL!!!!
We just recently purchased a 2011 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8 3.55 and we are supposed to buy a North Trail 31 QBS. After many days of searching we found this camper thinking the truck would be able to pull it with no problems but family members who have towed campers many years are concerned. Anyone one with any advice?

Thanks!

danemayer

Hi sand0344,

You have to be concerned with both the towing capacity and the payload. Think of it as horizontal load and vertical load. The truck should be rated for towing capacity that matches the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the trailer. That's the horizontal load. The truck should also be rated for a payload that will handle the vertical load from the hitch, as well as weight of pets, passengers, cargo, tools, hitch, bed liner, bed cover, and anything else that goes in the truck.

You can work through the numbers and read about weight issues at Fifth Wheel Safe Towing. The 31QBS has a GVWR of 6900 lbs. You should probably plan on the hitch tongue weight being close to 1000 lbs. If I'm reading the 2011 tow ratings correctly, the conventional towing capacity of your truck is a minimum of 7500 lbs and may be higher. You should be able to find the payload capacity of the truck on the door sticker.

Keep in mind that gas engines lose power as altitude increases. A trip through the Rockies could be trying. Also, gas engines develop max horsepower at high rpms. So your engine may be screaming when going up a steep grade.

Mark-Mullin

I have used an F150 for towing a 9000 lbs trailer and had no trouble at all.
Trailer was a flagstaff 8528 ckws fifth wheel truck was F150 5.4 liter 2009.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

priorguy

I went with the 3:73 gear on my F150 for that reason. 2000 lbs extra towing over the 3:55. You're within range but like mentioned before a long drive over steep hills may be difficult. Is the trailer a Caliber Edition. I found my NT 28BRS to be 750 lbs heavier (door sticker) then the spec sheet. Check the yellow sticker on the inside of the door fir the actual weights of the trailer. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbopp

Standard cab, extended cab, or crew cab? How many people and how much gear are you hauling? My guess is you'll run out of payload before running out of towing capacity. What does your yellow payload sticker say?
The 5.0 may have the power but it'll be wound up.

Imn2vws

2013 31QBS owner here with a 2008 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 with rear air bags. Tows with no problems. Engine works pretty hard on long or steep hills but I can still maintain decent speed without over revving. Tires are BFG's with 42 lbs each, makes it handle well. Tightened my hitch stabilizer bars up to balance the load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk