Fort Wilderness

yport

Planning a Disney family vacation for 2015 at Fort Wilderness. We will pull our BH into the campground for a week and be joined by our children and grandchildren (4 of them) at the campsite for a few days.

Any stay there? Comments? Considering a Premium or Preferred site, but online doesn't indicate the difference in the campsites. Any opinions of those that might have been there? We know it's pricey - but what the heck!!

Thanks

VKTalley

Planning a Disney family vacation for 2015 at Fort Wilderness. We will pull our BH into the campground for a week and be joined by our children and grandchildren (4 of them) at the campsite for a few days.

Any stay there? Comments? Considering a Premium or Preferred site, but online doesn't indicate the difference in the campsites. Any opinions of those that might have been there? We know it's pricey - but what the heck!!

Thanks

Hi Glenn and Sharon, We have stayed at Ft. Wilderness the past two Januarys. January 2013, we were on a Premium site and January 2014, we were on a Preferred site (I think). Other than price there is only subtle differences between the two. The top end site has a double-wide concrete pad and the next step down has a single-wide pad. Everything else was the same. Both handled our BC 3690 without any trouble. I liked the double-wide pad but as we were not at the campsite that much, the single-wide was fine. We are planning on returning to Ft. Wilderness next January (2015) and will stay on the Preferred site again since it was only like about $60+ or so per night verses $90+ or so for the top tier. If you have any other questions, contact myself or Malcolm (MCT, on the forum) and we will gladly answer your questions. Ft. Wilderness is a great place for families of all ages with lots of things to do there without going to the theme parks. I am looking forward to returning again next January!

MCTalley

This year we were actually on the "full hook up" site (around $60 a night in the winter). I agree with my wife on all her observations. The double-wide slab of the preferred (highest cost) site was nice, but when you are there mainly to sleep, the extra "porch" was pretty much unneeded.

kkamshop

Last time we stayed at Ft. Wilderness we got a camp site right behind the cabin that the kids rented.Grand kids stayed some nights in the camper and some nights in the cabin. We where maybe 75 feet from their cabin. That let us all have our privacy and be together.

yport

Sweet - thanks for the information. Based on it, we booked the Preferred site. Kids and grandkids will come and pitch a tent too. Love Disney's Magic Express that will pick our kids up at the airport and deliver to our site ... and return for their departure. Now that's convenient for us!

Thanks again friends ! :)

VKTalley

Sweet - thanks for the information. Based on it, we booked the Preferred site. Kids and grandkids will come and pitch a tent too. Love Disney's Magic Express that will pick our kids up at the airport and deliver to our site ... and return for their departure. Now that's convenient for us!

Thanks again friends ! :)

I agree! Love that option! Hope you all have an awesome time there!

There are a few sites that are extremely difficult to get into. They put a few recycle bins and garbage can in some awkward locations. I had the 5'er headed into the site but couldn't clear my front left fender. The Disney staff was understanding and changed our site. You'll do fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

We spent 5 nights there this January. Loved it! We took a premium loop site as we had our dog with us and pet sites are limited. As Val and Malcolm mentioned, the double wide site was nice, but we really only slept there and never used the picnic table once or got out the grill.

I can also see how some sites could be tricky to get into. I got very lucky and was able to nearly back straight into my site.

Have a great time!

GWRam

We stayed for a week this past February. Everyone really enjoyed it. We liked the premium sites, the extra pavement helped us keep the sand out of the camper with us the kids and dogs coming and going all the time. There is an app we found by FortFriends.net which has photos and information on each site.

Have a great time,
Dave

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I too have camped there 3 or 4 times in the past, I concure that the Premium sites are really nice but I too did not need the patio - the gravel one was fine and I always put out my rug so it makes no real difference to me. I have pitched a tent behind the RV in the past - for the young children of friends who came with me but not all sights are that long to allow that to work. I must say that it is one of the nicest campgrounds I have ever stayed at. But then again I am really a Disney fan and I am sure that plays into that feeling...

Kevin

bob34787

Stayed there 4 months last year and my friend has been there 5 years at site 734 , pick the 700 loop and try for 706, its the one they use for the website picture, easy back in, thats where we stayed june thru oct. if you want the best rates P.M me for my friends phone number, she will get you the best discounts, I use her for my reservations even though my wife is a travel agent.

kkamshop

I am not sure you are allowed to pitch a tent anywhere but the tent section, you may want to check about that.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
You are permitted to have an RV and one other on most premium sites and on some Preferred sites ( the ones that are long enough). You would want to verify that the site you are selecting can handle the tent as well.

campsites-at-fort-wilderness-resort-fhuc-g00.jpg

This is a photo from the Disney Web site depicting a Premium Site.

bob34787

that picture is not a premium site, it is either a full hookup or preferred, premium sites have a full length concrete pad

TheLindsays

We have stayed at Ft. Wilderness a few times.. just stayed there Christmas last year.. first time we had a smaller trailer.. got the double pad premium and had room for a 25 ft trailer with a 13 x 10 tent behind it and the F250 crew cab truck all in same side then the whole other side of the slab for table.. grill.. seats.. and golf cart.. was very nice.. last year had the torque.. 34.5 ft.. and f250 and golf cart.. plenty of room... we have a dog too so could only stay in certain loops.. when you go to check in they are super nice.. take lots of time with you.. I just explain we need lots of space for backing in and parking etc.. and they take the time to look and find the best spot to put us in... the loops and roads are pretty tight.. we always get there early afternoon on a Thursday or Friday.. before the weekend people get there and there is more room for turning and parking etc. lots of fun and lots to do.. you don't even have to go into the theme parks to have fun..