Big Horn garage

snuffy

We are in the planning stages for the building of an rv garage which we hope will soon cover a 3400RL. I know it is almost 37' so I feel a minimum of 40-42' long is necessary. Anyone have any pics of theirs or any recommendations?

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
garage

I built my own for my 3055. I did a 30 X 40 pole shed with a 1 ft overhang on each end so I actually have 42 feet of coverage. You may not want to go as wide if all you are covering is your RV. I keep some farm equipment in mine also. I have not closed it in yet $$$$ Just keeping it covered has helped alot. Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

v92c

Texan
We built a metal building for our camper. It is 20x 45'. I ran 30 amp service and water inside. I put two concrete slabs where the tires sit, the rest of the floor is crushed concrete. The door is 14 x 14.

I decided on 45' because we dont think that we will ever need a fifth wheel longer than 40' and 20 foot wide will let me open the slides inside.

30 amps is enough to run both AC unit, and not much else.

Tony

Attachments

• DVC00343.JPG
    DVC00343.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 56
V92c,
Was this a kit building or did you design it yourself ?

I have been thinking about building about the same size for my 5er.

How much to build this size garage ?

Thanks, Jeff

BluegrassMan

I did some research before putting up a building, the most "usable" space with no obstructions, cheapest per sq.ft. is the American Steelspan type buildings. They are the only ones that are hurricane rated at 200 mph. I poured a stem wall around 3 sides, 4ft. high and 10" thick, mounted a 16h x 40x60 building on it. I ordered the building with NO front, mine is stick built with 2x6's sheeted then vinyl sided. It has a 13' RV door, 7' standard garage door and 2 entry doors. One is in the rear of the building in case of fire. I haven't tried it yet with my 450, but with my other truck, I could back in "hooked up" and shut the door. Now that's having a real toy box.

I have NEVER heard a guy complain that he built TOO big of a garage, BUT I have heard countless times "Man I should have gone bigger". I know some people have certain covenants in their deeds that their garage HAS to look similar to their house, I don't have that here. Neighbors thought it was a airplane hangar...they knew that I flew a cessna then.

truknutt

Committed Member
Snuffy,

We used to store our unit at the local storage facility but she took a beating those first two years so when we decided to build our house, it was determined that we would construct some sort of garage for the RV.
We got our house & "barn" plans from CoolHousePlans.com at the same time. Sure made it easier to find a builder when he saw the $$$$ rolling in his head!

Here are our plans, but there is an RV garage section on their website with different layouts. We upgraded to a 16 foot door which results in 18 foot to the bottom of the ceiling joists so I can "stoop" up on the rig's roof. The other bay holds my T/V and tractor. We have 30 & 50 amp hookups along with water. DW calls it my "Million Dollar Doghouse!"

We have the deed restrictions that BlueGrassMan mentioned earlier. I had my eye on a Morton Building System that the neighbor parks his Kenworht Semi with 48 foot dropdeck in, but the approving "committee" wouldn't sign off on it.

Attached are some external shots of the buildings and one of the old Rage'N inside. She was 12'7" to the top of the A/C unit and was parked on top of 2x10 planks. She had no slideouts so thankfully the 3210 only has them on one side. A slight adjustment in the parking location and we can open them up with 4 inches before hitting the wall.

This year I plan to insulate the ground floor and add lighting to the walls in the RV bay. When the rig is in there, the ceiling lighting is terrible.

An equally important aspect to selecting a garage or storage shed is to visualize where and how it will sit so you don't have a stroke the first time you attempt to park your rig. With the Rage'N, it only took two adjustments and in she went. The Cyclone, with her 3 axles and extra 6 feet in length, really put the hurtin' to me the day we brought her home. The Groundhogs were poppin' up to see where those expletives were coming from!

Good luck!

Attachments

• Barn.jpg
    Barn.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Compound.jpg
    Compound.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Rage050.jpg
    Rage050.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 52