Brake controller gain setting

iawoody2

I have the Ford factory brake controller. My Sundance weights about 12300 when ready to travel. Just wondering what others have their controller set at as far as gain.
Thanks.

MTPockets

Mine is set at 9 ..... Instructions say to drive on a paved area under 20 MPH and keep increasing the setting, then actuate the trailer brakes only until tires lock, then back off one number. That's what I did and brakes works great.

shurack24

We used the same approach of starting with a low gain setting; then at 20mph manually actuate the trailer brakes. Once you get to a gain setting which locks up the trailer brakes, back off by one click. I'm not an expert on this, but I believe in a panic stop situation, having the trailer brakes lock up before the TV could create a loss of control; IE posssible jacknifing condition.

Niles

I'm responding to the post about having the tv brakes set tighter than the rv. Don't do it!!! You want the trailer to slow first if the tv slows first then you have a chance of the trailer coming around on you. I've drove a truck for lots of years and miles. When trailer brakes hold you back, it keeps you straight. You don't want a trailer pushing you into a stop. If on slick roads the trailer might come around on you but that's a whole different lesson on driving with trailers.

iawoody2

Thanks guys for all the reponses. I have been running 7.5 or 8. Was just curious as to what others were using.

DW_Gray

Yup. I want to feel those trailer brakes activate before the truck does.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

ncc1701e

I have the Ford factory brake controller. My Sundance weights about 12300 when ready to travel. Just wondering what others have their controller set at as far as gain.
Thanks.

Bob, I usually mine at 6.5 or 7. Trailer weight on our Sundance is 12,500#.

Tom