Waiting for delivery of our new Gateway 3650 BH!

zia

Our new Gateway bunkhouse is on order and should be here by the end of April. We are very excited to have it for this season!

I am slightly annoyed/disappointed that Heartland flat out refuses to upgrade the tires on this model with our order. With the Landmark it comes with Gs and you can upgrade to Hs, but on this model (which is only 750 pounds lighter than the Landmark) they are insisting that the only tires they will sell are the TowMax Es. According to my math the Es will be completely maxed out with this trailer, so it looks like the first thing we will do is drive over to Discount Tire and put on some Goodyear G614s. Has anyone else done this or had problems with the E Towmax tires that come on this fifth wheel? For the life of me I don't understand why those tires come with this fifth wheel. Someone enlighten me, please? Or tell me that I am nuts or something! :D

Other than that detail, I am very excited with the layout of the fifth wheel and especially the bunk room. We are upgrading from a Heartland bumper pull that we loved and never had any issues with, so I am hoping this model is just as nice.

Zia

oldmannj

It seems to me that if you ask pretty please the dealer should be able to work something out for you. At least give you a trade in value on "new" china bombs.

zia

I have tried really hard to get different tires from the factory and the dealer and both refuse. I am baffled.

danemayer

Hi zia,

Congratulations on your new Gateway order and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The 3650BH GVWR is 15,500. When fully loaded, you can probably expect about 20% of that, or about 3100 lbs to rest on the hitch. The remaining 12,400 lbs is carried by the wheels/tires.

Heartland offers upgrades to G614s on a number of the larger trailers and they're standard on Landmarks. Not sure why they wouldn't offer the option on a Gateway. If you've been using your dealer as the intermediary in this discussion, I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service directly at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for Gateway sales.

zia

Thanks for the info. I was calculating 2000 on the hitch, but we can go with 3100 (20%). The tires have a load rating of 3520 each, so 14080 total. All tire manufacturers tell you not to go over 80% of the load rating unless you want to have problems, so we are at 11264. There is going to be somewhere between 12400 and 13500 on the tires. Even if you don't use the recommendation of 80% it is still pretty close to capacity. The G614s are 3750 so that moves us up to 15000 which is much closer to the 80%. I will call the Customer Service line directly tomorrow and see if I can talk them into the upgrade. Thanks!