Convection/Microwave combination good idea?

loudounrv

My wife and I getting ready for a purchase and we're wondering if it would be a good idea to get a combination convenction/microwave unit in place of the standard microwave.
We have a convection oven at home, and she prefers the standard oven. However, we have 3 kids, and I could definitely see the benefits of cooking 2 pizzas at the same time (one in the convection oven and one in the conventional oven in the rv). I usually cook breakfast, and I can also see the benefit of cooking bacon in a convection oven because I could easily clean up afterwards. I've switched to cooking bacon in the oven at home, instead of using the stovetop (easier and quickier for cooking in large amounts). I could see myself doing the same on the trailer, and I just imagine it would be easier to wipe out any grease from a convection/microwave with a few swipes of a paper towel, instead of getting down on my hands and knees and finding any stray grease that splattered in the conventional oven.
I'm sure there are many other circumstances when it would be nice to a have a convection oven. The upgrade is about $400, so before deciding for certain, I thought I'd float this question out to others who already have a convection / microwave como unit so I could get your experiences and suggestions. Thanks!

MTPockets

We have it and use it often. Wife has discovered some things more handy and quicker in convection, while others better in gas oven; but worth it in our opinion.

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
We've just had the combo oven for a year. I'd say it's well worth it. (Might be nice to have at home!). It has been very convenient to use the combined feature of microwave thawing/warming and then letting it switch to use as a convection oven without touching a thing. It took a while to figure out the right settings but then it was easy. Cooking for 5, I'd think you will find it useful to have 2 ovens. I'm not sure how big a pizza it will take.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We use microwave/convection at home and on the road....ESPECIALLY on the road! If you decide to go that route we strongly recommend Sharp brand.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I like the combination...when we are in the "warmer climes" it's nice to have the convection, so I don't have to worry about making the rv any hotter than necessary!!

VKTalley

We replaced our standard microwave (which came with our rig, as we bought off a dealer's lot) with a Convection/Microwave unit (bought at Home Depot) and I love the convenience of having both the convection and microwave. As Monica-Don mentioned, it does not heat up the interior of the rig like the gas oven. It is very easy to clean and i despise lighting the gas oven. It has now become a storage area as I do all my cooking with the cooktop and the convection/microwave.

byob

Our new 4000 should be here any day now. we are thinking of switching out the microwave for a combo convection/micro, and wanted to know what to look for & look out for when buying a new unit. Trailer was built before we thought of having it installed at the factory. We will be full time in RV starting next fall if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for your info.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the Sharp Microwave/Convection Oven. We also have the standard propane oven. Although we cook in the oven often we have never even had to light the propane oven. We always use the Convection Oven. Could probably do without the propane oven. We would say definitely get the Microwave/Convection.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I definitely like using the convection microwave combo. Any new rv I consider will have this feature.

gebills

Most of ourcooking, (probably 90%), is done in our Convection/Microwave unit. If I could fry eggs and make omelets there, I’ddo that too. Yes, I do use the burners on the oven top, but is a rarity that I use the lower propane oven tobake. The lighting sequence is ridiculous unless you’re a contortionist which doesn’t apply to anyone over 55. I can't speak to the brand (Sharp) mentioned previously; we are using the unit we ordered when we bought the BH new, whichis a Frigidaire. We’re doing fine withit. I would also recommend the Convection/Microwave.

Last edited:

pegmikef

There have been several occasions that DW has had to use both the convection and propane ovens at the same time to prepare meals or stuff for rally pot luck dinners, so yes it is worth it to us since both ovens are smaller than our residential ones (yes, she has multiple ovens at home too).

evolvingpowercat

I upgraded my Edge with the Sharp 820 BK and use it often to cook a frozen pizza when too lazy to fix a real dinner. Also use it often in the morning to do 6 muffins for breakfast. Also works fine as a normal microwave. The wall kit does not seem to be available anymore so this may not be an option unless you want to use on a countertop of table.

The convection microwaves are several inches deeper than standard RV microwave ovens so you may have some modification work to replace a normal wall mount microwave with a convection microwave. Here is a thread that shows the modification I made to my Edge to change from microwave to convection: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/38284-2011-Edge-M21-modifications

ParkIt

You did some crazy awesome work on your Edge, helps me figure how to replace the microwave with a convection including a solar panels.