Is it expensive to prep a 5vr for a generator?

loudounrv

We've been shopping for toy haulers for year, but we just switched directions in the 5th wheel direction. The Road Warriors and Cyclones I was looking at came standard with a generator.
If we end up shopping for 5th wheels instead, is it a costly procedure to wire the trailer to run off a generator? Is this something we should do after the purchase (cheaper) or is it a smarter idea to get this done at the factory? We're looking at one trailer where this would be an optional add-on ($750). My guess is it would be better to do this at the factory, but the salesman is telling me it wouldn't matter. I 'm not saying I distrust all salesman...but they have to earn the trust first. I can wholeheartedly say I trust what I read on this board! Thank you, Tom

loudounrv

Related Question -- I've seen the cummins 5.5 generator priced a little under $6,000. What other options should I consider? I just read some old posts where people were running an external generator from their truck bed, or under the trailer. Thanks again!

danemayer

Hi loudounrv,

The Onan 5500 LP model offered as an option has the advantage of running clean LP so you won't have problems with fuel going bad. And no extra fuel tanks needed because it uses the same propane tanks as everything else in the coach. Also, the generator is ready at all times so when you need it, you just press a switch inside the coach. The required generator prep option provides a transfer switch that automatically handles switching between shore power and the generator.

The downside of running it on LP is that unless you have an external LP supply, your propane supply is limited. If I remember correctly, propane usage is a bit under a gallon/hour of run time with 1/2 load. A 40lb propane tank has about 9 gallons of propane, so you probably can't expect more than about 12 hours of run time from a tank of propane. If using the generator for occasional backup, this is not a problem. But you might not find it a great arrangement for boondocking.

If you do get it, it's much better to have the factory install it. Most dealers probably don't have experience installing an Onan LP generator and it's not a particularly easy install.

We have the Onan and use it mostly for backup when power outages occur. We do a lot of winter camping in the mountains and an extended power failure is a big problem. I also find it convenient to fire up the generator at the storage lot when I need power for something. And on occasion, we've started the generator at a rest stop so we can use the microwave.

MTPockets

Ditto what Dan said. The factory installed is the cleanest, safest, and you'll always appreciate the ease of use and maintenance.

alex00

My thoughts are conflicted on the generator. I ordered one with my coach, mostly for the ability to run the Air Conditioner when boon-docking. The reality is, the generator added about 8% to the purchase price of the coach. I'm ok with that, but there are many less expensive alternatives. I am also planning a solar setup that should run all my electrical needs. Parts should run about $3-$4K. If I were to have it installed, double that. I'm at the cost of a generator if I pay for an install, and still cannot run the AC. Two portable Hondas at $900 each would run the AC. However, I need to go outside to start them, I need to keep them filled, etc. The on board generator was a matter of convenience that I was willing to pay for, even if for a limited use. Much like the level up. I'll never recoup my costs, but the convenience of auto leveling called my name.

The long and short of it is there are many less expensive ways to get 110V in your coach than an on-board generator. All options lack something the other provides. Having the generator installed at the factory would be the simplest, and maybe the least expensive option for on-board systems. Two Hondas paralleled together will probably be your best all around quick and dirty method. It will run your AC when you want it, and shut the other one off when you don't. We would only bring one Honda on our winter trips with our old trailer. Solar will give you a nice option if you don't want to run the AC unless plugged into shore power. Having all three opens you up to doing anything you want, anywhere you want.

hoefler

I installed a 4K in our Landmark myself. Cost was less than $750, including the cost of the generator. It was a used generator out of a, at the time, 5 year old storm damaged trailer. It is not difficult, but you need to have some knowledge and mechanical ability to be successful. You will need a transfer switch, proper sized wiring and conduit, some way to fabricate the compartment,and some way to get heavy beast in there. Shoot me a PM, and I can answer your questions.

Attachments

• IMG_20130921_140002_376.jpg
    IMG_20130921_140002_376.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20130921_140025_313.jpg
    IMG_20130921_140025_313.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20130921_140121_397.jpg
    IMG_20130921_140121_397.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 80

RoadJunkie

I would go with the Hondas. On top of the flexibility of using one generator, under light loads, you can also use them on however many rigs you plan/don't plan to buy. Plus you can move the generators out into the "boonies" and don't have the exhaust or noise in your immediate vicinity. The backside of the Hondas is you have to carry gas and they are easily transportable (read, they can be easily stolen).