Towing a Gateway 3650 with a 3/4 ton diesel

rjf199

The wife and I really like the Gateway 3650. My tv is a 2014 Gmc 2500 4x4 D/A. Anyone else towing this unit with a 3/4 ton?

DW_Gray

The wife and I really like the Gateway 3650. My tv is a 2014 Gmc 2500 4x4 D/A. Anyone else towing this unit with a 3/4 ton?

Hard to say. There's not enough detail about your truck to offer a responsible response. The Gateway 3650 realistic pin weight will be near 3,100 pounds and the GHWR is 3,875 pounds. I recommend you visit Fifth Wheel St. for information that will help you determine if it will work for your truck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
rjf, get out your owners manual and it will list what your weight ratings are. Just make sure that you do the math with your truck as equiped. You could also go to your dealer and have them give you the specs. Your TV should be rated at 17200# for a 5er, so you will be good to go. I would have to get my manual out and see what the pin rating is. I doubt if the 3650 has a GWR of over 15500#.

danemayer

How much you can pull is part of what you should be concerned with, and you'll probably be ok pulling.

The other part is how much your truck can carry. 2500s typically have a payload spec between 2,500 and 3,000 lbs depending on model/configuration. That payload spec has to cover passengers, pets, cargo, tools, weight of hitch, bed liner, bed cover and anything else you put in the truck. And of course it also carries the pin weight of the RV. As Dave mentioned, your actual pin weight could realistically be around 3,100 lbs. Add the other stuff and you easily be 1000-1500 lbs over the payload spec.

Will that be a problem? Will the truck be unbalanced? Will handling be affected? Will you experience accelerated wear and tear?

Some people are towing heavy rigs like this one with 2500s and report no problems. Will it work for you?

As Dave suggested, visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing and get the information you need to make a decision.

kernst

We have a 2014 Gateway 3650BH and have been pulling it with a 2011 Ford F250 Diesel since this past June. Pulls like a champ. I weighed it on the local Cat Scales a few months back. Here's the info from that:

Trailer Weight (unhitched): 14,220 lbs
Trailer Weight (hitched): 11,920 lbs
Pin Weight: 2,300 lbs
Truck Weight (unhitched): 8,800 lbs
Steer Axle (hitched): 5,240 lbs
Drive Axle (hitched): 5,860 lbs

DW_Gray

We have a 2014 Gateway 3650BH and have been pulling it with a 2011 Ford F250 Diesel since this past June. Pulls like a champ. I weighed it on the local Cat Scales a few months back. Here's the info from that:

Trailer Weight (unhitched): 14,220 lbs
Trailer Weight (hitched): 11,920 lbs
Pin Weight: 2,300 lbs
Truck Weight (unhitched): 8,800 lbs
Steer Axle (hitched): 5,240 lbs
Drive Axle (hitched): 5,860 lbs

That's a great setup for you. But it is not helpful for the OP. Like I said above, "There's not enough detail about your truck to offer a responsible response."

To provide the most responsible answer to the OP's question, and anyone else for that matter, the following details must be provided:

*Vehicle make
*Year
*Model
*Body style/trim
*Type of drive
*Bed length
*Engine size/type
*Transmission model
*Axle ratio

I just completed a new webpage offering side by side comparisons in categories for 2014 trucks. There are numerous models, styles or trims available within every brand. I would still be working on it if I chose to list them all. But I've only listed the ones having the greatest GCWR. From there, any other style or trim will have lower ratings. I created the new page primarily for two purposes: 1. A quick overview 2. To teach RVers what they need to look for when buying a truck.

Tallyrver

I have the same Gateway ,I tow it with a F350 dually . We went out on our first trip last weekend ,and it tows like a dream. Boy am I glad I went with that truck.

rjf199

Thanks for the info weighed my truck recently and it came in at 7980 lbs without a 5th wheel hitch. I know this will add about 200 lbs

rjf199

That's a great setup for you. But it is not helpful for the OP. Like I said above, "There's not enough detail about your truck to offer a responsible response."

To provide the most responsible answer to the OP's question, and anyone else for that matter, the following details must be provided:

*Vehicle make
*Year
*Model
*Body style/trim
*Type of drive
*Bed length
*Engine size/type
*Transmission model
*Axle ratio

I just completed a new webpage offering side by side comparisons in categories for 2014 trucks. There are numerous models, styles or trims available within every brand. I would still be working on it if I chose to list them all. But I've only listed the ones having the greatest GCWR. From there, any other style or trim will have lower ratings. I created the new page primarily for two purposes: 1. A quick overview 2. To teach RVers what they need to look for when buying a truck.

My tv is a 2014 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box Duramax 3.73 axle

jdamude

We purchased a 2014 BC in the fall. I towed it home from the dealer (approx. 4 hours) with my 2014 Ford F250 4x4 with air bags. Yes the truck towed it ok, but I did not feel comfortable. I knew once we loaded the trailer we would be well over the TV specifications. Over the winter we purchased a 2014 F450 4x4 diesel.

DW_Gray

My tv is a 2014 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box Duramax 3.73 axle

Thanks for providing the needed information. Any of 250s/2500s can tow 5th wheels but can't carry the pin weight of most. The likely problem for these trucks is low axle ratings due to the springs. Yours has a rating of 6200 pounds and standard payload of 3069. Without modification, you're likely to overload the rear axle assembly.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

caissiel

Been towing my 3500RL BC for 5 years with the F250. And the BC is much easier to tow then the previous trailer that was 4000 lbs lighter.
Make sure you have the proper tire setup.
The Gateways are lighter trailers on the pin then the BH or Landmarks and should be ok for SRWs.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

rjf199

Thanks for providing the needed information. Any of 250s/2500s can tow 5th wheels but can't carry the pin weight of most. The likely problem for these trucks is low axle ratings due to the springs. Yours has a rating of 6200 pounds and standard payload of 3069. Without modification, you're likely to overload the rear axle assembly.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I'm having the Air Lift 5000 air bags installed this weekend with the on board compressor. What other modifications do you recommend?

MTPockets

I'm having the Air Lift 5000 air bags installed this weekend with the on board compressor. What other modifications do you recommend?

Realizing it's controversial, but the air bag does not increase your payload capability. If the truck is rated for 3000 lb payload, the airbag adds zero, so zero plus 3000 = 3000. Sorry, just physics.

DW_Gray

Realizing it's controversial, but the air bag does not increase your payload capability. If the truck is rated for 3000 lb payload, the airbag adds zero, so zero plus 3000 = 3000. Sorry, just physics.

What is more correct to say is this: "Modifying any vehicle does not change the Certification Label ratings unless it is corrected by an authorized person." With that said, anyone adding aftermarket air bags or springs to most any vehicle will improve the payload and towing capacity. As I've said before on this forum, springs are the primary limiting factor for payload and towing capacity on most trucks. Second it the gear ratio. More information on this is found here.

The other alternative to rear end modification on 250s/2500s is purchasing an ASHS or buying a 350/450/3500 truck.

DW_Gray

Ensure you have tires and wheels that will exceed the load requirement and maintain proper air inflation pressure based on actual loaded weight on the tires.

Ensure you have tires and wheels that will exceed the load requirement and maintain proper air inflation pressure based on actual loaded weight on the tires.
X2, You are overweight with that trailer & a 2500, but if your determined to pull it, like a lot of people do with a 2500, at least ensure you have "E" rated tires, and your wheels can handle the load.

lynndiwagoner

Like I said, towing a BC 3650RL with 2005 Chevy 2500hd, D/A, crew cab, 2WD, Airlift 5000 air bags, Vision Heavy Hauler 19.5 wheels with BFG ST230 tires, 245/75/19.5 wheels. Weight limit at 110lbs is 4500 per tire. Towed several thousand miles now, wind, rain, no problem. Had gusting to 50mph wind the other day....could feel it but was stable. I think the stiff sidewalls on the 19.5's helps a lot.