Wondering if I'll regret a shortbed -- need advice on a sliding hitch

loudounrv

I'm about to make a decision on a TV - Ram 3500 dually. I hope to have 14000 lb, 43 ft fifth wheel later this summer. I have 3 kids so I'm leaning towards the Mega Cab option for the added comfort for them, but of course this means I'll have a shortbed.

Mega cabs are rare here and I saw my first one last weekend. Man, that bed looked short. Am I going to regret having a shortbed every time I'm trying to back that 43 ' trailer into a tight space, or will one of the slide hitches solve my problem? Can you recommend some good hitches to consider?

caissiel

Mega cab is now available with 8ft box.
The crew cab is realy not that bad for kids with standard box.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

loudounrv

Hi Laurant, I was definitely considering the crew cab, but what pushed me over to the Mega Cab was the ability for the kids to be able to recline their seats a bit on the long, late-night drives back home. I just did a quick double check on the 8ft bed option, and everything I'm finding in the 2014 brochure and website is showing only a 6'4" bed for the mega. Let me know if I'm missing a mid-year update or something. Thanks, Tom

DW_Gray

Hi Laurant, I was definitely considering the crew cab, but what pushed me over to the Mega Cab was the ability for the kids to be able to recline their seats a bit on the long, late-night drives back home. I just did a quick double check on the 8ft bed option, and everything I'm finding in the 2014 brochure and website is showing only a 6'4" bed for the mega. Let me know if I'm missing a mid-year update or something. Thanks, Tom

Hmm... I'd like to know about that 8 foot bed for the Mega truck too. I just completed a whole new web page on trucks and I did not see any.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

caissiel

Neighbor here has a DWR one. Was one being towed yesterday.
The neighbor says he has a hard time hooking up. We discussed it the other day using a stick or a mirror installed on 5th wheel unit. I am sure it is because he had a shorter 4 door 8 ft box before.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

wehavefun

I know there is a company or two that were doing framework and extending the frame and putting an 8 ft box on mega cabs, I didn't see anything from factory.

Would be very interested in a factory version.

I miss my mega cab, but love the longer box for fuel tank / tool box and coolers.

alex00

The 8' box is not an option from the factory. I just bought a 14 crew cab after weighing the decision. The Mega did not offer enough to sacrifice the long bed. The extra room in the Mega is all behind the seat. The seats recline. There is some storage. That's about it. Legroom and headroom for passengers is identical between the crew and Mega. The rear doors are the same size. I also preferred the way the seats fold up in the crew vs down in the Mega.

To be fair I started my shopping process heart set on the Mega. I bought the crew and am so glad I did.

szewczyk_john

I bought my Mega cab so that there would be room for the kids, both our sons and our boxers. I have never regretted that decision. I have zero problems with the truck other than hooking up. I am 6 foot 3 and I have to lift myself up off the seat to see the pin and hitch head. Other than that, there is no problem. I also added a 2 story addition to my house that was 14 feet wide and 32 feet deep. I did it all myself and I was able to get all the materials to the house without any issues. The lumber and siding was delivered on a flatbed but everything else, including 12 foot long drywall got brought in using the mega cab.
I have the Hensley trailer saver BD3 hitch and I bought the sliding frame for it. I have only used it twice now and I could have gotten by without the slider but I am glad that I have the option to slide the hitch if things get to tight.
I belong to another Cummins powered Ram owner site (turbodieselregister.com) and I know there are plenty of long bed maga cab rams but it is not a factory option. They are conversions done by private owners.