A/V system

Atczdc

One of my previous occupations was a home audio/car installer. This first thing I noticed was the lack of quality items on the audio side. The Sony (5.1) system that Heartland uses is as about bottom dollar as one can get. Composite connections from the dvd player to the flat screen...Really? The center channel and front speakers were all placed together above the tv, in no particular sequence either. The subwoofer is behind the fireplace and just resonates a rattling sound throughout the coach.

My solution to this was to remove all of the components of the Sony system. I then purchased a Vizio 5.1 from Costco for $280 and a PS3...I moved the 55 inch TV as high as i could get it. I placed the soundbar underneath the TV. Sadly, I came up an inch short in hieght, so the soundbar does not sit flush with the front of the TV. I ran a HDMI from the PS3 to the TV and an optical cable from the PS3 to the soundbar. I placed the PS3 vertically in between the TV and the thermostat. The subwoofer is wireless with 2 rear speakers. After removing all the mounting screws for the sectional, I placed the subwoofer, sub up and port firing to the slide wall, underneather the middle seat as it does not recline. I place the rears on the back of the slide, so I wouldnt have to run wires underneath the slide and over to the kitchen area.

The garage had a Boss radio/DVD. I gave that to the neighbor and replaced it with an Alpine CD/bluetooth/usb radio. I kept the Sony speakers in the garage but replaced the outdoor speakers with Alpine Marines.

1 day and $750 later the coach sounds amazing!!! Movies and music sound as they were intended!! I can sit outside and change songs from my phone as both units are bluetooth ready. I also have a free space underneath where the old Dvd player was. I was looking for a cost effective upgrade and found it. I hope this helps anyone that may have ran into the same issue. I will admit, I'm very critical when it comes to music, so this may not be necessary for everyone.

scottyb

Sounds like you know what your are doing, no pun intended. Is the PS3 a Blueray player as well? Would love to see some photo. If you think yours was bad, on the early 4100's the DVD/surround was in the kitchen above the microwave.

Atczdc

Wow, now that's dumb! The PS3 does play blu rays. I actually only have 1 pic! lol I'll be out this weekend and will try to get some on here.

Hippy

How ironic! I just replaced my Boss (****) with an Alpine. Just indecisive on the outside speakers. Can you tell me the model of the Alpine speakers and also interested in the model & any additional info on the PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atczdc

Alpine spsm600. They r slightly deeper than the OEM. The right one fit fine but the left one was too deep. All that I had to do was push the thin board behind the speaker on the left side and it gave enough depth. Put silicone around the grills once you get then on, as they r only held on by tabs. I got a used PS3 slim. This model can be placed vertical as many of the new PS3 can not be. I didn't mount it, as I wanted to be able to move it to the different TV's. It's all bluetooth so there are very few wires. Hope this helps!

dave10a

Atcadc, I agree that many RV manufacturers are installing **** for audio and TV. The sad thing is they charge a premium for it. On my trailer they charged me for the premium up grade while not even installing a sub-woofer and decent speakers. I ended up removing the **** and installed mid-line equipment of my choice. My advise is to not get any AV equipment from trailer manufacturers and install your own stuff. The equipment you recommended is great. However, Sony, Sansung, Yamaha, Klipsch, Boston Acoustics and others do offer mid-line equipment that would satisfy most people's senses while being easy to install. From experience of bench testing various speakers, TV's, recievers and amplifiers I found mid-line equipment exceeds anything our normal vision and hearing can sense and the cost curve is very exponential to get high end stuff for a small improvement that is hard to discern. The Auto industry installed **** years ago, but these days they actually install decent stuff-- provided you get the upgrade. Maybe the RV folks should hire people who actually know what they are doing when it comes to AV stuff.

Beemer

So how does a guy who has no experience working on RV's go about rewiring for the upgraded speakers and running an HDMI cable? My rig has a fully sealed underbelly. I've tried finding a replaceable home theater unit that would fit the space provided AND hook to the old style speaker wires. No one carries such a unit that I can find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
So how does a guy who has no experience working on RV's go about rewiring for the upgraded speakers and running an HDMI cable? My rig has a fully sealed underbelly. I've tried finding a replaceable home theater unit that would fit the space provided AND hook to the old style speaker wires. No one carries such a unit that I can find.

You read a lot, and find someone who as done exactly what you are looking for - you buy the exact same solution and they you make sure you end up at a rally where they are attending ... ;)

Beemer,

Seriously though all of the rigs have a "sealed" belly, but for a lot of repairs and modifications the Belly needs to be removed - and then re-sealed. Much of whatAtczdc did I believe was all done above in the entertainment center though with the exception of the outside speakers, but I'm going to assume that the existing wires were used for those.

Kevin

Beemer

Yes I figured about pulling it down. The "back" speakers of the surround are in the slide out and will be pia to fish through.

dave10a

I used existing wiring and spaces that were used by Heartland. Also there is a a lot of blue tooth and wifi stuff as well as wired stuff. I did a lot of shopping and measuring to find stuff that met my criteria for performance. You don't have to be an audiophile to make a good choice. I would suggest going to a reputable AV dealer and tell them you situation and you would be surprised at how much information and equipment is available. You pocket book is the only limitation. Also if your trailer is new maybe you can talk Heartland to take back what they installed and give you credit. It's worth a try :) After all they made the choice of equipment without you decision.

danemayer

Also if your trailer is new maybe you can talk Heartland to take back what they installed and give you credit. It's worth a try :) After all they made the choice of equipment without you decision.
What should Heartland do with that equipment that would now be considered used? Would you like to buy a new RV and find out it had appliances that had been returned by the original owner?

priorguy

You'd only have that as a new order option I mean deletion. I've seen dealers selling loose items on the shelf that were barely used. Obviously swapped on site. Not sure if a sealed would offer much credit for this service though. There's always kijiji or eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mizmary

After thinking about all of the options, and not wanting to remove the oem **** yet, we opted for this.

We but a sony sound at from best buy that has 3 hdmi inputs. Eventually the oem speakers will be removed, the cubby will be enlarge and the soundbar will be permanently installed up there. But that is a bigger job than we can tackle right now. (Requires fishing hdmi cables behind the wall, moving or adding an a/c power plug, and finishing the new cut work.)

The sound bar is secure to the wall with earthquake straps. When we travel, we simply unclip and set the soundbar on the couch. The subwoofer doubles as a coffee table.

For someone who knows nothing about a/v and is not excited about making huge modifications, this is an option. It was as simple as bolt the straps to the wall above the existing speaker. The power cord and hdmi cables get directed behind the bar using the straps, then run down the wall. The extras sit on a small table near the fireplace cubby. It works, sounds great, the subwoofer is wireless and we can play our itunes using Bluetooth too and took all of 10 minutes to install once we bought the bolts and washers to attach the straps.

I would have liked it if the fireplace in ours hadn't been centered on the wall, but rather, pushed further to the door side, allowing for a/v shelving to go into the useless power cubby below the tv.

gymy6yqy.jpg
y4u4abyp.jpg

Atczdc

I didnt order anything extra on my rig. I found what suited me and just went and picked it up. Mizmarys option is a nice way to go if ya dont wanna tear into your rig. I had no problem tearing apart a new RV. If you do venture my route, you may find other disappointments along this journey.

dave10a

What should Heartland do with that equipment that would now be considered used? Would you like to buy a new RV and find out it had appliances that had been returned by the original owner?
Well the could use it as a warranty replacement like the did my water pump. The sent me a used water pump to replace my failed water pump that was under warranty. Like I said it is worth a try.

danemayer

Well the could use it as a warranty replacement like the did my water pump. The sent me a used water pump to replace my failed water pump that was under warranty. Like I said it is worth a try.

Dave, your water pump story makes my point.

jimtoo

Hi b1badas,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Hope you check out the Heartland Owners Club and join us at a rally when you can. Lots of good food and fun.

Where are you in South Texas.. if you don't mind me asking?

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M