what should i do to store my new big horn in central florida

mslater

I did a few searches but didn't find much ...leaving my new big horn stored on my lot in Florida ....never dealt with this ....what should I do to keep it new ....have the option of leaving it plugged in an running the a.c. ....is that a good alternative ?

mslater

It will be setting vacant from April to November .... have no idea what I should do to close it up ....I don't see freezing as a problem, I am removing all food and cleaning supplies .....this is my first time doing this and would like to head of any problems..... was hoping to learn from other experienced members what I need to do

danemayer

Considering the intense sun in Florida, you probably ought to get white tire covers. Secure them so the wind doesn't blow them away. If storing in a field or other area where mice/other pests could be a problem, seal up any openings underneath. If you have power, you might want to keep it plugged in so the battery is maintained.

I'm sure others will have additional suggestions.

Garypowell

We store our unit in Rockledge, FL which is probably 3 miles from the ocean. But only 2 months at a time and we live only 5 miles away....not several states. Covering the tires as Dan mentioned is important but we also put the wheels up on plastic blocks so there is no contact with the ground.

Obviously flush everything well and I put a little chemical in all the tanks, traps, and some in the toilet bowl with extra water. I leave the frig doors open so it can breath and turn the battery off.

Of course I can visit my unit once a week to insure all things are OK. During that weekly visit I at least turn on the two fans to get some fresh air inside. If there is a project to work on I will open the rooms and with a portable generator I run the A/C.

If you had a friend or neighbor close you might ask them to check the unit as I do. Even with power available I don't think I would just let it run and hope for the best come November.

Plus when we had our last HL south of here and we lived in it all week and then came "home" on the weekends I still closed up the rooms. Just felt it was more secure that way.

I can attest that the water in the toilet will eventually evaporate which could cause unpleasant odors. During a couple of times that I could not visit for several weeks I covered the bowl with plastic wrap that seemed to help.

Hope this helps.