Requesting Input

diwilley

Bought my first Big Horn Fifth wheel (35' and towed by Chevy 3500 ext cab, longbed, dually, diesel) and am planning on first trip in late May. Open to any suggestions/comments to prevent me from making first-timer mistakes. I believe in using other's experiences to assist me in anything I do that is new. I know, it sounds like a parent/child relationship, but I am ok being the child for now. Thanks for any help. Your time is appreciated. diwilley

Westwind

Check off list to make sure you have done everything you need to do, especially before leaving a campsite, there are many online you can use to customize and fit to your trailer. Get the hitch and unhitch procedure down pat, don't be embarrassed to check yourself multiple times, better to be safe rather then sorry. When hitching up, before you take out the tire chocks and raise the legs do a test pull, you don't want to drop the trailer on the truck. I walk around the FW three times when I'm done check doors, cords, chocks to be sure I didn't forget anything. PS - Don't forget the tailgate.

MTPockets

Is your Big Horn new? Maybe almost as important if used, but I found I needed to tighten many of the bolts/nuts and using a torque wrench re-tighten to manual specs. Water line nuts, sink traps, wheel lug nuts, Axle U-bolts, pin box nuts. All of mine were loose and below spec when new and needed adjustments periodically for over a year before they settled to proper torque. Also, check the trailer brake wires at the wheel to make sure they aren't rubbing the leaf springs. I covered mine with elec conduit to prevent chafing. I also had some black tank odor until I sealed around the roof top vent pipes. No more odor after sealing the gap where the pipe exits the roof.

Gaffer

Bring an air compressor and check the air pressure in all of your tires every morning you tow.

brng an air

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I highly recommend some sort of electrical protection for your Bighorn.
Surgeguard and Progressive Industries are two of the most popular.
Progressive Industries hardwired is my personal favorite.
Best to buy now rather than when you are buying a new TV and microwave.
We are here to help you spend your money.

Peace
Dave

Kbvols

My advise is your going to make some mistakes or forget some things etc.. Take your time in the hitching and un hitching process as that can cause you the most grief. Use a check list for things mentioned like antenna. With that said make sure to take some relaxing chairs and some beverages of choice roll out the awning and enjoy that new RV.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My advice is take some short trips to work on finding a routine for setting up and tearing down before you take a long trip. This way, if issues come up, you can work through them without messing up a long vacation. Watch for obstacles within the rv park (low branches, trees near curves, picnic tables, those pesky poles that keep you from hitting the electrical hookups (they can attack your rig, don't ask me how I know!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonnyB007

TRAILER CHECK LIST

DEPARTURE CHECKLIST

Exterior items -Road ready RV Checklist

___Awning retracted and secured
___Camp Fire DEAD (soaked and stirred)
___Groceries/supplies taken out for the camp Stowed
___Firewood Loaded (any that you take with you anyway!)
___Camp Equipment Stowed (awning mats, chairs, tables, BBQ, etc.
___Antenna / Dish Secured (Internet and/or television)
___Shore power and water disconnected. Cord/hose stowed
___Levelers/stabilizers retracted
___Leveling blocks stowed
___All Tires Inspected
___All Tire Pressures and lug nuts Checked
___Access Doors Locked
___Trailer Door Locked
___Truck hitched to trailer
___Marker / Brake Light Check
___Wheel chocks pulled and stowed

Fuels and water system items - Road ready RV Checklist

___Motor Fuel Level Checked** (diesel/gas)
___Propane Level Checked**
___Grey Water Level Checked**
___Black Water Level Checked**
___Fresh Water Level Checked**
___Water Jugs Secured
___Aux. Propane Tank secured (from your barbeque etc.)
___Propane tank valves off (unless the refer. will be on)
___Sewer Hose Stowed (if used)
___Fresh/gray and black water tank valves checked/secured
___Pump Off
___Water Heater Off

**Compile a TO DO list as a reminder if you need to dump or fill water etc. if those facilities are not available at your current campsite.
Interior items - Road ready RV Checklist

___Window Blinds Secured
___Windows Closed
___Vents Closed
___Misc. loose items secured in their transport locations
___Clothing Stowed
___TP and Paper Towels (add to shopping list if required)
___Add any grocery needs to shopping list as they are identified
___Laundry Bags Stowed (convenient for Laundromat access)
___Any Cabinet Locks Secured
___Trash Bagged (ready for legal/appropriate dumpster)
___Trash bags (add to shopping list?)
___Furnace/air conditioner thermostat OFF
___Refrigerator OFF(unless used on 12v/gas while traveling)
___Refrigerator door closed and locked
___Bathroom door secured
___Slide(s) retracted and secured
___Secure "living room" chairs
___Shopping List in Cab
___Camera Ready and in the cab
___Laptop in Cab with GPS navigation system!
___Daily CD’s in Cab
___Daily Maps in Cab
___Daily RV Log ready for use in the cab
___Cell Phone in Cab plugged in for power
___Verify "papers" are in cab (Insurance, vehicle registration, pet health cert. etc.)

Final actions - Road ready RV Checklist (Before we pull out)

___Rearview mirror and seat position checked for current driver ****(Before moving...not rolling through a campground!)****
___Where did you put your wallet/Purse??
___Final Hitch Security Check
___Final Camp Inspection Walk
___Final Rig “Walk around”...(looking for any odd, out of place things we might have missed before!)

mobilcastle

Good list-only thing I can add is don't be in a hurry!!-I seem to make mistakes when I rush.
TRAILER CHECK LIST

DEPARTURE CHECKLIST

Exterior items -Road ready RV Checklist

___Awning retracted and secured
___Camp Fire DEAD (soaked and stirred)
___Groceries/supplies taken out for the camp Stowed
___Firewood Loaded (any that you take with you anyway!)
___Camp Equipment Stowed (awning mats, chairs, tables, BBQ, etc.
___Antenna / Dish Secured (Internet and/or television)
___Shore power and water disconnected. Cord/hose stowed
___Levelers/stabilizers retracted
___Leveling blocks stowed
___All Tires Inspected
___All Tire Pressures and lug nuts Checked
___Access Doors Locked
___Trailer Door Locked
___Truck hitched to trailer
___Marker / Brake Light Check
___Wheel chocks pulled and stowed

Fuels and water system items - Road ready RV Checklist

___Motor Fuel Level Checked** (diesel/gas)
___Propane Level Checked**
___Grey Water Level Checked**
___Black Water Level Checked**
___Fresh Water Level Checked**
___Water Jugs Secured
___Aux. Propane Tank secured (from your barbeque etc.)
___Propane tank valves off (unless the refer. will be on)
___Sewer Hose Stowed (if used)
___Fresh/gray and black water tank valves checked/secured
___Pump Off
___Water Heater Off

**Compile a TO DO list as a reminder if you need to dump or fill water etc. if those facilities are not available at your current campsite.
Interior items - Road ready RV Checklist

___Window Blinds Secured
___Windows Closed
___Vents Closed
___Misc. loose items secured in their transport locations
___Clothing Stowed
___TP and Paper Towels (add to shopping list if required)
___Add any grocery needs to shopping list as they are identified
___Laundry Bags Stowed (convenient for Laundromat access)
___Any Cabinet Locks Secured
___Trash Bagged (ready for legal/appropriate dumpster)
___Trash bags (add to shopping list?)
___Furnace/air conditioner thermostat OFF
___Refrigerator OFF(unless used on 12v/gas while traveling)
___Refrigerator door closed and locked
___Bathroom door secured
___Slide(s) retracted and secured
___Secure "living room" chairs
___Shopping List in Cab
___Camera Ready and in the cab
___Laptop in Cab with GPS navigation system!
___Daily CD’s in Cab
___Daily Maps in Cab
___Daily RV Log ready for use in the cab
___Cell Phone in Cab plugged in for power
___Verify "papers" are in cab (Insurance, vehicle registration, pet health cert. etc.)

Final actions - Road ready RV Checklist (Before we pull out)

___Rearview mirror and seat position checked for current driver ****(Before moving...not rolling through a campground!)****
___Where did you put your wallet/Purse??
___Final Hitch Security Check
___Final Camp Inspection Walk
___Final Rig “Walk around”...(looking for any odd, out of place things we might have missed before!)

GWRam

Find the nearest nice campground to home and go camping. Run through everything. You will find out really quick what you brought you didn't need and what you need to bring on future trips.

As TravelTiger mentioned watch obstacles(they are everywhere) when in campgrounds. Site markers,trashcans,railroad ties,trees,grills,tables,utilities, obstacles everywhere. Don't just watch tires on road and bumpers clearing trees and other low obstacles. Look up higher down the sides of camper. Look more than once. I have learned (don't ask me how) :rolleyes: and observed that having wheels and bumpers clear of obstacles doesn't mean your not dragging your awning or side of your camper alongside a tree trunk leaning toward or over the road. When in site leave room for slides when positioning camper near trees and utilities.

Get out there and have fun.

Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dont start talking to anyone when unpacking or packing to leave. NEVER EVER walk away while flushing your black tank. There can be a very bad result.

On a lighter note, buy light weight pots, pans, plastic plates, coffee cups, party plastic drinking cups and silverware. Buy underwear, socks, winter and summer coats, shoes, shirts, hats and such and leave them in the coach. In other words, buy everyday stuff that you would use at home and keep it in the coach. Don't buy what you think you need...buy stuff that you DO need. There is always a Wal Mart to get stuff you forgot. Equip the coach so its ready to go except for food.

Keep in mind that weight can be an issue. So don't get carried away loading your coach. A Weber Q bbq is small and light weight. You can get a small 120V pancake compressor that will pump up to 110# PSI from Sears or??. You will need some wheel chocks and maybe some short 4'X10" lumber for leveling your landing gear at times. Get a bag of the plastic leveling blocks to put under your tires if needed for leveling.

You can learn more by walking around campgrounds, looking and asking questions. Then you will figure out your own way of doing things. Better yet, go to a HL rally near you and you will get all the help you need (probably more than you want).

wino2

All of the posts give great advice. Just remember to enjoy the outing, and not to panic if an emergency arises!
You will learn a routine as time goes by. The only additional advice that I see that is not covered is to watch your overhead clearances.