Help with Surge PRotector, Reducer and plug in

Rob63

This year will be our first year camping and have some questions about electrical power hookups. We will only be staying in campgrounds with electric and water while we get accustomed to the camper and learn the "ins and outs". We bought a Trail Runner 27RKS and it comes with a 25' 30 amp cord. After reading many forum posts, I discovered for added protection and piece of mind, I would need a surge protector and would probably want a 25' extension cord for those times I am farther away from the hookup and a 50 amp to 30 amp reducer in case I only have a 50 amp hookup or its a shared box and the 30 amp is already taken. So I bought those things and want to make sure I hook things up right. In my mind, I think the following scenarios would be right and please correct me if wrong.

If using a 30 amp service plug-in, Surge protector first, then extension cord (if needed), then cord that's attached to trailer?

If using 50 amp service plug-in, Reducer first, then surge protector then extension cord (if needed) then the cord that's attached to the trailer?

Thanks in advance for your input!

pegmikef

Make sure you turn off the pedestal circuit breaker before you plug your lines in or you might cause arcing at the plug if any 110 stuff is on in your rig (e.g., converter). Turn the breaker back on after you have plugged your cable in.

Rob63

When you say "pedestal circuit breaker" are you referring to the breaker on the box at the campground site or the main breaker in my trailer?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The breaker on the box at the campground site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXTiger

Your surge protecter should also test the circuit after you turn the power back on at the pedestal and prevent power to your rig until the test is completed and no problems are detected. Mine takes about 2 minutes to do the test. I plug in my power first then while the test is running I hook up my water and sewer.

Picked up a new 30 amp surge guard and 50 to 30 amp adaptor as suggested.
We used the 50 amp outlet for the first time for our 30 amp system.
However, the breaker on the post was well worn and tripped several times.
Moved over to the 30 amp outlet and no issues this trip.
Reported the issue to the park for service.