12 volt plug in box

nhunter

Has anyone added a 12 volt cigarette plug into the box of their trucks. I got a 12v cooler for christmas and was thinking about rigging up a plug. Was hoping for a weatherproof type plug. Any ideas?

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
A few years ago I bought a weather proof cigarette lighter plug and installed in the bed. I tied it into the 12 volt charge line for the camper. I think I got it at Radio Shack or Advance Auto Parts.It was a simple job.

nhunter

Thanks guys. I have a dome light in the box already that ties into the clearance light circuit in the plug in and was going to tie into the charge circuit for this. Will have to find a boat store.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Keep in mind the amp draw you will be needing. I think the running or clearance light circuits don't have very heavy gauge wire. I think them little coolers pull a few amps???

nhunter

Keep in mind the amp draw you will be needing. I think the running or clearance light circuits don't have very heavy gauge wire. I think them little coolers pull a few amps???

I just have the dome light (1156 bulb) run off of the clearance light circuit. I will be running the plug off of the battery charge circuit. The cooler is a Koolatron 75. It only draws 4.5amps. So far seems to work well. It is cold in about 2 hours. I figured I can use it when I first take out trailer until fridge is cold.
http://koolatrononline.stores.yahoo.net/koolatron-p75-kool-kaddy.html

Thanks Jim, I ordered the one from Cabellas. I figured you would have some links.

Don, will probably order the Goldwing plug for my Valkyrie. It's kind of Hondas black sheep.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I never thought of the Valkyrie as the black sheep, it is a very nice bike. I have heard that before though from some that checked into joining the GWRRA which was set up for Goldwing riders and I believe if your were not a Goldwing rider you didn't get a full membership thus this phrase come to exist but I thought all that had been rectified but maybe I am wrong

Happy trails and ride safe,
Don

nhunter

Oh, the GWRRA threw us a bone and decided that the bike had a 1500 engine so we must be good enough to get a full membership. Love the bike but there is a lack of good custom parts like there is for the 1500 / 1800. Thanks for the link though.