Roof

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I did the PDI on the unit I ordered this afternoon and have a question about the roof. My former 5er was a Cameo LXI by Carriage and the roof was smooth from front to back. On this Bighorn, you could see where the roof decking was joined, and although covered by a one-piece rubber roof, you could see each section. I had not been on top of a Bighorn before and am concerned that this might lead to a premature failure of the rubber that the manufacturer could claim was the fault of Heartland.

Have others noticed this? The unit was built just a couple of weeks ago.

merlinb

Retired
Hi Chuck,
Since no one else has responded I will throw in my observations on the subject. I don't have a Heartland trailer, I have a Thor Signature and I, too, can see where the roof decking joints are under the rubber membrane. They don't cause any severe displacement or distortion of the membrane but you can definitely see where they are located. Mine is a 2001 model and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems so far. Good luck with your Bighorn.

jbeletti

Hi Chuck,

I don't have a BigHorn but it's Landmark cousin. I was up on the roof today and I could tell where the roof rafters/ribs were but like Merlin, I was not able to see any decking joints.

One thing thing I looked at closely that Jeff pointed out a few weeks back as we were replacing a slide awning was a few bubbles in my rubber roof.

At about the mid-point (fore/aft) and to the off-door side edge, where the membrane rolls off towards the side, I have some number of what appears to be tiny air bubbles. I put my finger on a few of them and applied pressure to see if they would flatten out in order to test for air and it was hard, like a wood particle or something.

Not sure if it will be a future problem or not but I'll run it by the factory and place the response on the Landmark Exterior forum.

Let us know if you figure anything more out on your issues Chuck. Especially if you contact the factory.

Take care,

Jim

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Thanks, folks. I also sent an e-mail to Scott Tuttle and he also states that this will not cause a problem.