golf cart batteries for our 3400rl

markandrenita

I am thinking of putting 2 6volt golf cart batteries(in series) in our 3400rl, to replace the one 12 volt deep cycle. Has anyone done this?

Clear skies,

Mark and Renita

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We added 4 T-105's that we keep charged with a 125 watt solar panel. This is in addition to the 12 deep cycle that came with the unit. We have them on a switch that allows us to charge all five batteries or they can be isolated, works quite well, and gives the ability to bookdock much longer without using the gen set.

geeksrus

If you do, where will you locate them? I have a 2008 3400RL & there doesn't seem to be much space for an additional battery in the battery rack area.

EH!

markandrenita

We added 4 T-105's that we keep charged with a 125 watt solar panel. This is in addition to the 12 deep cycle that came with the unit. We have them on a switch that allows us to charge all five batteries or they can be isolated, works quite well, and gives the ability to bookdock much longer without using the gen set.

Sounds neat! I really like the switch idea. Are they all in the battery storage area? Do you have any pics, by chance. Did you install the solar?

grizzlygiant

If you do, where will you locate them? I have a 2008 3400RL & there doesn't seem to be much space for an additional battery in the battery rack area.

EH!
I have a 3400 and installed 2-6v batteries in place of the original 12v. I put a double-sized battery box in the right side of the front compartment (generator box is on the left) and ran new longer cables replacing the original.

markandrenita

I have a 3400 and installed 2-6v batteries in place of the original 12v. I put a double-sized battery box in the right side of the front compartment (generator box is on the left) and ran new longer cables replacing the original.

Thanks, sounds like a great place for the extra batteries.

kakampers

We located the T105's next to the generator compartment in the front bay. The wiring runs overtop the gen. compartment to the back of the regular battery compartment, and the switch is attached to the wall just inside the main storage bay, beside the battery compartment. Every thing is connected at that point. See pictures at with this link http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff162/kakampers/batteries/

Yes...we installed the solar system ourselves. It is not too difficult. We also have a Morningstar solar controller which works really great keeping the batteries charged, but not over charged. Great system.

kakampers

El Santiago...we brought the cable down thru the vent pipe for the sink/shower in the bedroom and then into the cargo compartment. The panel is mounted next to the bedroom A/C. Required some drilling thru the compart wall to the front compartment, but it wasn't difficult.

Eduardo37

The Grand Patriarch
Actually not

Why not just add another 12v battery? Would give you more amp hours at lower cost.

Two sixes in series will give more amp hours than two twelves in parallel. That's the reason most people go to them. Those four in a series/parallel configuration would give lots of boondocking time. Also would add a lot of weight.

markandrenita

We located the T105's next to the generator compartment in the front bay. The wiring runs overtop the gen. compartment to the back of the regular battery compartment, and the switch is attached to the wall just inside the main storage bay, beside the battery compartment. Every thing is connected at that point. See pictures at with this link http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff162/kakampers/batteries/

Yes...we installed the solar system ourselves. It is not too difficult. We also have a Morningstar solar controller which works really great keeping the batteries charged, but not over charged. Great system.

Wow! Thank you so much! Your system looks to me like a must have as we boondock a lot,(Wyoming)

geeksrus

Curious... why did you mount the switch in the main compartment instead of the battery compartment?

Thanks EH!

kakampers

GeeksRus...That's something I'll have to ask my husband...I think that he felt there wasn't enough room in the battery compartment to mount the switch. It's rather large, approximately 6-8 inches accross and sticks out from the wall by 3-4 inches. If that's not why I'll let you know.

jpmorgan37

It is also a good safety measure to have the switch mounted away from the T-105's. These are lead/acid batteries and will give off hydrogen gas when being charged. The switch has a possibility of creating a spark when switched (even though remote) that can cause an explosion.

John

creeper

Two sixes in series will give more amp hours than two twelves in parallel. That's the reason most people go to them. Those four in a series/parallel configuration would give lots of boondocking time. Also would add a lot of weight.

Not true....

If you have two 6 volt in series with each being 205 amp hours , you end up with 205amp hours..

Now, if you have two twelve volts with 125 amp hours each you end up with 250 amp hours.

With series your amp hours stay the same , if you put them in parallel you add the amp hours together.

Now say you have one 12 volt that is 125 amp hours and you parallel that with a series of 2 6 volt giving you 205 amp hours you end up with 330 amp hours..

The OP asked about replacing the 12volt with 2 6 volt. Let's say you pay 65 dollars each for the 6 volts you end up with $130 for 205 amp hours....

Now if you just add one more 12 volt at 125amp hours for $65 you end up with 250amp hours for $65...

Btw, the prices are real from SamsClub as are the amp hours.

People do 6 volt for a couple of reasons. 1. Durability, if you're a heavy boondocker the 6 volts will take more of beating of repeated discharging/charging. 2. Urban myth and misinformation relayed to them from another person on how much better they are... 3. Larger banks is where 6 volts start to shine.

12v vs 6v can only be determined by the user and includes many factors..

boatdoc

Agree w/ Creeper

Having been in the boat repair arena for over 30 years I couldn't agree more with creeper. Sixes are great for lots of repeated discharges when doing lots of boondocking but one does pay a price for their added weight and for their cost nowadays. I have used them for years but now with most of our boondocking behind us I think I'll stick with the twin 12 volts that came with our new 3670.

BluegrassMan

Hi UncleRog:
I clicked on the link for Trojan, in the 6v series, why not go with the 145's over the 105's ? Not that much difference in size, just a scoash. Or the price ? Inquiring minds want to know. My last 5ver had 2x6v setup, my GC doesn't.

While we're on the supject, Anyone using DEKA batteries ? I hear that they are the ONLY battery left that's made in the USA. My closest Deka dealer is 2hrs. from my house.

Uncle Rog

T-105 Vs T-145

Hey BluegrassMan, the 105's were significantly more economical and they weigh 10# less. They also fit into a standard 4 unit battery box that I "converted" to a vented design. The 4 105's have 450AH vs 520AH with the 145's. I use them in concert with a xantrex inverter / 100A three stage charger so I can bring them back up in a hurry with a little generator time. I talked to a tech at trojan before setting up this system and he said that the 100A charger is perfect for the bank as 25% of the reserve is a perfect charge rate. The 10% usually advertised is for liability purposes.

Attachments

• 0917061122.jpg
    0917061122.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 28