Bike carrier hitch

azbigfoot

Picked up a bike carrier hitch today. Its a Reese Sportwing two bike hitch mount carrier that holds the bikes by the tires. Pretty easy to setup and it accommodates my 29" cruiser and my DW's 26" cruiser.

photo.JPG

MTPockets

Does this slide into the factory installed 1 1/4" receiver? If so, many reports these receivers are very flimsy and bike racks really bounce. That's what mine did; so much I finally replaced the whole receiver with 2" square tubing and receiver making it sturdy. Hope yours works better.

azbigfoot

Yep 1 1/4" receiver. Darn now I'll have to install a rear camera so I can watch to see what is happening. :)

MTPockets

Yep 1 1/4" receiver. Darn now I'll have to install a rear camera so I can watch to see what is happening. :)

We discovered ours when we stopped and did the walk around. The bikes were laying on their side ready to fall off. That's when I put my foot and weight on the bike rack to discover the entire receiver flexed horribly. Somewhere on this forum there is an old post I made with a short video of the flex.

caissiel

A camera will not help. Might be to late once they fall. Mine never move back there as I have my unit and truck set up properly.
If bikes rock so does anything in the rear of the unit.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

dave10a

Beware; the Heartland hitch option is unsafe and should be removed from the market. Heartland should seriously consider discontinuing this hitch and send a letter to customer's who purchase them explaining that it is unsafe to use for bicycle carriers. I had a welder beef up mine so I could safely carry bicycles.

azbigfoot

We discovered ours when we stopped and did the walk around. The bikes were laying on their side ready to fall off. That's when I put my foot and weight on the bike rack to discover the entire receiver flexed horribly. Somewhere on this forum there is an old post I made with a short video of the flex.

I found the video you posted. That's a lot of movement!!! I checked mine and it barely moves. Still I am going to watch it very closely.

azbigfoot

A camera will not help. Might be to late once they fall. Mine never move back there as I have my unit and truck set up properly.
If bikes rock so does anything in the rear of the unit.

I was thinking about picking up a Gopro video camera. Figured I could use it for many purposes including help with backing in, as well as fishing, biking, boating, longboarding, and if necessary just to feel good about the bikes. I learned you can stream the Gopro wirelessly (no internet required) to your ipad so me and my DW can watch it from the inside the truck.

pegmikef

Beware; the Heartland hitch option is unsafe and should be removed from the market. Heartland should seriously consider discontinuing this hitch and send a letter to customer's who purchase them explaining that it is unsafe to use for bicycle carriers. I had a welder beef up mine so I could safely carry bicycles.

I found that the only thing I could use mine for was my flag pole and for that it works well. I intended to carry my Honda Generators on a hitch mounted rack, but even at just 110 pounds, I thought it was too flmsy . . . ergo, the flag pole.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a 2" after market receiver hitch installed and mine still shakes, especially on concrete freeways.
In fact I have a decent Thule bike rack and it shook to the point that a small part broke. Luckily I didn't lose a bike and Thule replaced the part.
I need to beef up the support of this setup before I use it again.

Plus, read the small print on your bike rack paperwork. I was surprised to find mine says "not to be used on the back of trailers or RV's".
After seeing that, this must be a common problem. Trace

dave10a

Plus, read the small print on your bike rack paperwork. I was surprised to find mine says "not to be used on the back of trailers or RV's".
After seeing that, this must be a common problem. Trace
My bike carrier manufacturer said the same thing. I asked the manufacturer why they have that precaution and they replied that the low frequency side to side movement of trailers causes the hitch metal to crystallize causing it break away. They told me that if I want to use a bike carrier to use another brand-- but not theirs because of safety liability that they did not want to assume. I gave this information to my local welder and he added the necessary bracing to eliminate that concern..... But he would not guarantee it that the carrier would not break. I added a safety strap in the unlikely event that should happen. I now have less vibration on the carrier than when it is directly mounted on the truck hitch. If I was Heartland I would definitely stop using this flimsy hitch and warn customer who already have one.

caissiel

I made a bike rack in 98 with 1 1/4 x1/8 square tubing and all bolted to a 2 x2 hitch receiver that is also bolted to the rear of my unit. The rack can be transferred to the truck or car. And used on the campsite to store and lock the bikes. Due to warranty problem welding was out.
Been using the stabilizer beam in front while the bumper holds the rear.
Of course not all trailers have a bumper.
The stabilizer beam gets only used when parked and the bikes are not creating any weight so to me it works great. Been using similar system on previous unit to for 12 years.
Have photos in my album of all modifications I had to do to our unit.
But the bikes are held with 2 small 8in bungies each and travel smooth in the rear of our 3500RL pulled with F250.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Mine is on the pinbox and never moves and I can see it anytime. But then I have a long bed TV which helps.

BC

azbigfoot

I found the below information on etrailer.com. Explains the reason why most hitch-mount bike carriers are not approved for 5th wheels. A bike manufacturer that does approve their product has a solid 1 1/4" shank.

In general standard hitch-mount bike carriers cannot be used on RVs and 5th wheels because of the extreme lateral and vertical forces found at the rear of such vehicles. The further the back of the trailer is from the rear axle the more lateral sway and vertical bounce there will be. (Think of a whip, where the tip moves much faster and farther than the handle end; or of the bumpy ride quality in the back of a school bus.) These forces will be far greater than what is encountered typically at the rear of an automobile due to the longer distance from rear axle to the rack and so many bike rack makers will not honor the product warranty if used on the back of a motor home or 5th wheel.

The Swagman XTC-2 - 2 Bike Platform Carrier you referenced, part # S64670, in its instructions (attached) warns against use on 5th wheels due to both the excessive movement that can damage the carrier and the potential for damage to the hitch.

However, we do offer the Rola NV2 hitch-mount hanging-style carrier, part # 59508, that is approved for use on the back of a 5th wheel. I confirmed this with my technical contact at Rola. This rack features a solid 1-1/4-inch shank and offers a 100-lb capacity. Again, you will want to check your owners manual or consult with your Cedar Creek dealer for the weight capacity of their bike rack hitch to ensure that the total weight of the rack plus your bikes does not exceed the hitch rating

mobilcastle

I am using one just like what you described above (Swagman) and I have had no problems with it. It also has a solid shank. I use it on a 2" receiver. BTW it is a very nice unit and is easy to load the bikes. I have often thought the 5ver should have an external connector that you could connect a strap to to help remove the up and down motion. I am sure many manufactures are concerned about liability in reference to this issue. I have also seen many people who use a tray, connected to a receiver, on the back with generators on them that are quite heavy-I wonder how many of them have fallen off.:confused:
I found the below information on etrailer.com. Explains the reason why most hitch-mount bike carriers are not approved for 5th wheels. A bike manufacturer that does approve their product has a solid 1 1/4" shank.