cyclone blinker problem

99fordnut

Hi I am new to forum just bought a 3010 toyhauler and when I turn on blinker either side both blink at the same timer

jimtoo

Hi 99fordnut,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Well if your tow vehicle works OK, then right where the pin box hooks to the trailer you will see a electric junction box. I would suggest you take the cover off and check the wiring starting there. That is the box where your 7 pin plug ties into the trailer. Maybe they left a connector cap off or something there. But that is where I would start. With a name like fordnut :) I know you should be familiar with test lights, volt meters and anything needed to repair trucks and cars..: ) :)

Let us know what you find as it may help someone else.

Jim M

99fordnut

I checked wires in box everthing connected right so I disconected yellow wire and the turn signal left or right still made both lights flash. I am guessing wires are melted together in frame somewhere. Any comments are welcome.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Fordnut- Welcome - What year is the Cyclone? I have not seen this issue on mine - but would suspect that if wires melted together there might have ended up with a short as well... or at lease other 12v issues. I would start by disconnecting the 7 Pin from the truck and tone out between left and right blinker wires ( Pin 5 and Pin 6 ) on the trailer plug. Sorry I am not more definitive help.

Kevin

danemayer

I checked wires in box everthing connected right so I disconected yellow wire and the turn signal left or right still made both lights flash. I am guessing wires are melted together in frame somewhere. Any comments are welcome.

I've attached a page from the trailer manual showing the wire arrangement. #5 and #6 position are identified as left and right turn signal wires. Suggest you disconnect from the truck and use an ohm meter to check for continuity between those two.

I would think you could also check for voltage on each of those connectors at the truck connector to see if both are being supplied voltage when the turn signal is on.

Attachments

• trailer 2011_hl_owners_manual_3-18-2011 Electrical Wiring.pdf
    321.6 KB · Views: 23

mlburst1

A friend had a similar problem on his trailer - after spending hours trying to find the cause, I finally looked at the taillight bulbs and found one was a 1156 (single contact) instead of a 1157 (dual contact). It was connecting both sides.

It's a longshot but worth checking.

whp4262

Check your ground connections at the lights as well to make sure it's not feeding back through the other light.

99fordnut

I disconnected wire at junction box at pin and at drivers side rear light and then checked ohms at junction box between right and left blinker wires and a had full ohms. So if I am thinking right it sounds like the right and left blinker wires have fused at some point in the harness or a screw thru both. I just bought the rig used its a 2012. Truck is working perfect.

danemayer

I disconnected wire at junction box at pin and at drivers side rear light and then checked ohms at junction box between right and left blinker wires and a had full ohms. So if I am thinking right it sounds like the right and left blinker wires have fused at some point in the harness or a screw thru both. I just bought the rig used its a 2012. Truck is working perfect.
What do you mean by full ohms? Infinite ohms? Zero ohms?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Have you checked the output at your plug on your truck?
You may be chasing trailer wiring and the problem is with the truck output.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
2 questions:

Did you buy the trailer from a dealer and test the lights before you left the lot? If yes, I would take it back and have them fix it.

You say the truck is OK. How do you know that? What happens when you apply the brake pedal without the turn signals on? Have you tried another truck? Do both turn signal lamps on the trucks dash come on at the same time? Is the ground on the truck side trailer harness clean and tight. How about the ground on the trailer....clean and tight?

99fordnut

We tested both my truck and a friends and both were the same. The brake lights work fine and the running lights. The truck signals only flash the side it supposed to.
My truck has had a different trailer on it before this one and everything always worked.

jimtoo

I would suggest you check near the rear for another junction box where the wiring for the tail lights comes out of the door. I would think, but do not know for sure, that there will be a box someplace because the lights are in the door. Just another suggestion.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Heres the deal. The stop and turn wire is the same wire. Somewhere in the trailer wire harness someone has put the RT and LFT...stop/turn wires together. Maybe someone did something stupid and the wires are melted together and that will not cause a fuse to blow. Cant be a pinched wire or screw issue...because there is not a blown fuse problem. I would start at the rear and work forward. I would double check all the wiring at the "J" box at the pinbox. If you can isolate what color wire runs each side...it will make it alot easier to find the problem. BTW, where in Ca. are you??

Bob&Patty

Been giving this some thought. Disconnect both T/signal wires at the "J" box at the pinbox. Get a good 12V test light and plug into the truck. Turn on the T/signals and see if both wires coming out of the plug harness in the "J" box light up. If they do, the problem is in the plug harness to the "J" box. Maybe some how the wire connectors have got melted together inside the plug itself. The T/signal wires run along the frame rails on each side going to the lamps themselves. Should only be 1 that controls the stop/turn on each side. There are 3 wires at the stop/turn lamps. 1 is ground,1 is tail lamp, and 1 is stop/turn. BTW, sent you a PM

99fordnut

I have eliminated the pig tail going to the truck from the J box at the pin. It test fine. I used my 12 volt power jump start caddy to test lights from J box to back of trailer. Driver side wire is black with red strip and passenger side is black. They are linked together at J box not fused just not separated. I put 12 volts on the black/red wire and the passenger side lit up. So now I know the 2 wires have fused together somewhere down stream. Heartland said it may have a screw thru the 2 wires. The only way I can see that is if the screw goes into wood or something non conductive. They also said all trailers are not ran the same way. Depends on who wired it. The cyclone has an underbelly covering the whole bottom with gas lines covering it. So finding the wires is not going to be easy. I guess I have my work cut out for me. I am in Ca. too in antelope Valley. Thanks for all the advice.

Bob&Patty

I would start in the front compartment and see where the wire harness goes. As to say, where does it exit to go to the rear. The problem could be in the front compartment. Peel back the split tube and inspect the 2 suspect wires as far as you can. It does not take much of a breach in the insulation to cause this issue. These trailer dont have a pre-made wire harness....they are a "by gosh..by golly" install. Its sad...but true. I would have 12V to the wires and someone watching the lamps. While you move wire harness GENTLY around. Dont just yank and tug on them.....cause if the problem goes away...you may never find the problem area.