Brakes

spolidm

This is probably a dumb question, but I am brand new to travel trailers. Do breaks come standard on 30'+ travel trailers? If so, I assume they are surge brakes. I am actually looking at a new Sundance travel trailer, if that matters. Any education will be helpful - thanks in advance.

Fordsd250

As far as I know, brakes are standard on most TT anf 5th Wheels. They are usually electric type brakes. On my 3500 BH I have a pair of 2X12 inch brake shoes on each wheel, and they work very well. The Heartland web site should have info on axles and brakes for each model they build.:)

jpmorgan37

spolidm;

They are not surge brakes. The Sundance comes with electric brakes. You will need a brake controller wired into your tow vehicle which in turn will be wired into the connector for the trailer lights and brakes.

John

fishn2dmax

NO dumb questions here..... As indicated already, all travel trailers and 5th wheels over 3000 lb ( which is basically all of them) are required to have electric brakes. It's actually really easy to hook these up to a tow vehicle. The Tow Vehicle ( TV) need to have a electric brake controller installed. The controller is typically mounted under the dash on the drivers side so the driver can adjust the sensitivity of the controller and / or apply the brakes manually ( in the case of an emergency).
Any RV / trailer dealer should be able to install everything you'll need to properly tow and stop your trailer as part of the deal.

Eduardo37

The Grand Patriarch
Brake controller

Most of us have Prodigy controllers. There are some other good brands out there. Don't skimp on the controller, your life depends on it.

jpmorgan37

spolidm;

What kind of tow vehicle do you have? Some of the newer Fords have a brake controller already installed.

John

spolidm

Thank you for all of the feedback. Looks like the target is Prodigy - I'll start shopping around. Any links to online stores that folks have used would be appreciated as well.

Regarding my TV - I don't have one yet! I am in the market now, and focusing my search on a 2007 Ford Expedition, with the heavy-duty tow package. The tow package included the wiring harness for the brake controller, but not the controller itself - should be a pretty easy install.

Feedback on my targeted TV?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Thank you for all of the feedback. Looks like the target is Prodigy - I'll start shopping around. Any links to online stores that folks have used would be appreciated as well.

Regarding my TV - I don't have one yet! I am in the market now, and focusing my search on a 2007 Ford Expedition, with the heavy-duty tow package. The tow package included the wiring harness for the brake controller, but not the controller itself - should be a pretty easy install.

Feedback on my targeted TV?

I bought my Prodigy at www.rvwholesalers.com they have them for $94.99 and check there plug-n-play harnesses a lot easier install for a few bucks more. I have bought others stuff from them also...great service....Ken