Confused on WHICH GPS

MdMike

Ok, so I have read thru many of the comments here on the newer RV GPS units.....

I was hoping for input on the newer Rand McNally, Magellan and Garmin units..

We are heading into uncharted waters in June for a 10-11 week trip and I need suggestions.

I currently have a Garmin nuvi for the car. Even with updated maps it still will make a wrong turn. I know it happens which is why we have our trip mapped on an atlas as well.

I am looking for things such as traffic updates, low clearance, bridge and tunnel restrictions.

Thanks,
Mike

donr827

I have a Garmin truckers GPS. It will keep you out of most problems when towing the trailer. You can switch to a car mode after arriving at your destination. I ALWAYS run map quest and compare the two suggested routes that can help verify what the GPS is telling you.
Don

GlenStMary

We use the Rand McNally 7225 and it works pretty well. It has never led us down a road into a trouble spot. It allows you to program in your RV height, and other details and will warn of low obstructions, narrow roads or bridges, propane restrictions, etc. I especially like being able to log onto the Good Sam website to preplan my routes and alter it's course directions to suit my specifics for that trip. Then we just download that trip and all the details into the GPS unit. You can change from RV to auto simply enough once you unhook and start your local adventuring. There are a couple things I don't like about the unit...#1 is the voices they have programmed in leave much to be desired but so far we are pretty happy with the unit. We've used Garmin, Magellan, and now this one and each has had something that we didn't particularly like, but with the 7" screen and the RV checklist, etc. we'll keep using the Rand McNally until someone comes up with a better unit.

whp4262

I use the Good Sam Rand McNally as well. I think it is on sale at camping world to. It works pretty well as GlenStMary stated. I have found it can be a little slow updating when you turn off the GPS planned route and didn't recognize a road that it should have so it does have a couple quirky things but so have others that I have used. The unit has some nice features like fuel logs, nearest camp grounds and gas stations. It also has traffic and weather but you need a mobile hotspot for Internet connection to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

I had two Rand McNally units and both worked well until they stopped. My opinion is the Rand units are not as well built. (China) Short battery life, freezing up having to reboot. My second unit finally froze up and stayed that way, both just a couple months out of warranty.... I got the new Garmin RV760, (Made in USA) works great and has good reports elsewhere.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
MdMike, Your question is a lot like asking Ford, Chevy or Dodge!
Check them out thoroughly and determine which features best suit your purpose.
We bought the Rand McNally a year ago when they had a $100 off if you sent in an old GPS ( I bought a broken TomTom on Ebay for $5 delivered).
So far it has performed as expected and has a lot of handy RV features. Would I rule out another brand? No I've owned Garmins and have been impressed with their service when needed. I've had a Magellan that was good too.
The one you like best is the one you need!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our Rand McNally is the original 5". We are very frustrated with it. 1/4 the time it won't recognize addresses. Occasionally it has told us one route, only to "change it's mind" down the road, when we didn't change our route. It's touch screen is horrible, taking forceful pushes to get it to respond. Last trip, to a place we knew we'd been, it told us "there are no known roads to get you to your destination". We had to hook it to the computer for an update download to get it to work correctly.

One "positive" -- it has rerouted us around a low bridge...so I know this feature works... Even though we would have fit under it by 9".

Hopefully newer models are better. We're leaning towards the Garmin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
MdMike,

While I agree with Neale - people like what people like. I personally use a Garmin ( both in the truck and on the Bike ) but I also use my Iphone for localized routing. Bottom line here as Neale said, Look at what you like about the different manufactures and models. But NEVER EVER follow a GPS blindly - Always know your route before you drive it so you can recognize when your GPS may have failed. I always map my route on Google and cross reference my bridge hight data from AllStays ....

I travel alone so I must do my routing off line before I go - and the GPS is more of a friendly reminder of how close that next turn is or how long before I get there... Back in the day my Wife :angel: loved to pour over the Maps and tour books - she was my GPS back then ... and her voice was much nicer than Samatha's! :)

Last edited:

MdMike

Recumbent615, I do use maps, both paper and online when traveling and do plan a route before leaving for my destinations. I am more concerned with things like low overpass, bridges, tunnels etc as well as traffic updates. I also like the GPS for when we are unhooked and free of the camper to travel and sight see.

I spoke to a rep at Camping World today and she was frank about the Magellan and the Rand MacNally units. She said she has more returns on the Magellan then on the Rand.

I don't like the fact that the Rand does not have live traffic updates. The other features seemed ok.

I need to do more research on the Garmin's before I purchase.

I have a Garmin Nuvi now for the car, but it will not work for the rv for the features I want.

I guess what I want is a unit that is fairly reliable with the live traffic.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have an Garmin RV760 and like it better than any other GPS I have owned. Like all others you have to be knowledgeable of how it works. As mentioned above I always plan my routes on my computer and upload the route to the GPS from my computer.

BC

JanAndBill

I have an older Garmin that I use in the truck, my wife uses Googel on her phone. Both use female voices. It's bad enough to have one woman give you directions, but it can be really confusing sometimes with 3 telling you where to go!!!!!! :D

jimtoo

Hey Bill,

On most of the Garmin you can go to their website and find "voice studio". With this you can create a new voice, using your own or your wife's or girl friends. Or they have some other voices that you can load.

Jim M

TXTiger

I am not married but if I were I would be careful not to use my girlfriends voice if I plan on taking my wife with me when I am one the road! ! ! !

Hey Bill,

On most of the Garmin you can go to their website and find "voice studio". With this you can create a new voice, using your own or your wife's or girl friends. Or they have some other voices that you can load.

Jim M

jimtoo

I really agree with you Tony.. that would not be a good idea.

The voice option can be changed on the GPS, it does not erase the original, just adds another. Was fun to do, took me about 1 hour or less to say the words and edit each word to cut of the "sss" and "aah" at the end of some words when you say them. It is a complete program to say the words, edit the words and load onto the GPS. I get a little tired sometime listening to myself tell me where to go.

Jim M

bsuds

Recently purchased the Magellan 7" RV model from Camping world on sale. Saved a bunch compared to the Garmin we were looking at. Tried a Rand Mcnally but it died and so did the replacement for it. Will never try another from them.
Will be heading out next week for our first camping trip with it so time will tell.