Truck Advice

Ace35

Just purchased a 2008 28BH North Trail 5th Wheel. Yeah!! So excited. Now we need to buy a truck (we are selling our motorhome which we've camped in for the last few years). Looking at 2009/10 Chevy or Dodge 2500 in gas. Will this be enough truck? Thanks. Ace

jimtoo

Hi Ace,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will have questions about your new to you North Trail, so don't hesitate to ask for help.

Also think about joining us at a rally when you can and becoming a member of the Heartland Owners Club.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

Just purchased a 2008 28BH North Trail 5th Wheel. Yeah!! So excited. Now we need to buy a truck (we are selling our motorhome which we've camped in for the last few years). Looking at 2009/10 Chevy or Dodge 2500 in gas. Will this be enough truck? Thanks. Ace
Hi Ace35,

The best thing would be to visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing to work through the numbers on the truck and trailer. You may be near the towing and payload capacities of the truck.

One thing to consider is that gas engines develop max horsepower at high RPM. So when towing a 5th wheel, especially uphill, your engine will be screaming. You might want to take a look at diesels.

Birchwood

Just looked one up on a sellers list and it was advertised as half ton friendly.A friend of mine hauls a Sundance to Texas from New Brunswick with a Ford half ton gas engine.A three quarter ton gas will haul your North Trail safely.

danemayer

Just looked one up on a sellers list and it was advertised as half ton friendly.A friend of mine hauls a Sundance to Texas from New Brunswick with a Ford half ton gas engine.A three quarter ton gas will haul your North Trail safely.
By any chance did you look up a conventional travel trailer 28BH? There's a huge weight difference.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Congrats on the North Trail fifth wheel. Great trailer. I found the brochure from when we bought ours in 2011. I don't know if much changed from 2008 to 2011, but here is a pic of the specs on the fifth wheel. We have the 29RE, it is the trailer in the bottom of the pic. We had it on the scales when we first brought it home and it came in around 9000lbs. It was loaded for short trips with empty tanks. I don't think you will have any problems with a 2500 with any of the gas engines. Hope this helps.

Enjoy!!!

96mcjr.jpg

caissiel

Like my friends do, don' try to keep up with the diesel boys and you will be fine. So I always let the gas guys lead the way and we are happy.
Gives me a chance to take more breaks at the pumps.
And most tow their NTs and Sundance with 1/2 tons here.
Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk