GPS Reviewers Needed

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
All,

I'm working on content for an upcoming issue of Heartland Highlights. For those of you that enjoy using the Rand McNally 7225 or 7220, or the Garmin 760 LMT, or another brand of RV Specific GPS, I am looking for someone (or more than one) to send me some information for a review of these products based on (positive) personal experiences. Some info I'm looking for: how to operate it, some of it's RV specific features, how to trip-plan with it, how it might help you when not towing your rv, and some of the accessories available for it, as well as your experiences while using it on the road.

If you'd be willing to help fellow Heartland Owners out by contributing to a review, please contact me via PM or email at editor@heartlandowners.org.

Thank you!

Erika Dorsey
Heartland Highlights Editor

TravelTiger

MdMike, I would like to get it in the next issue, published in April. Will have to see what the response is to my request! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have the Rand McNally 5510 . . .

I use it every day as my speedometer and it lets me know when I'm speeding!

It's also pretty handy when I need to find a store, restaurant and much more!

TXTiger

Erika, if you send me a GPS, I will review it for you. Lol lol lol. Mine is built into my Ford F-150. I don't have an external one.

MTPockets

TXBobcat did a thorough report on the Garmin RV760 on the site a couple months ago. Lot's of detail about use.

TravelTiger

TXBobcat did a thorough report on the Garmin RV760 on the site a couple months ago. Lot's of detail about use.

Yes! Along those lines, I'd like to hear from anyone that has experience and wants to share.

dave10a

I must have missed something-- What is the Heartland Highlight? No disrespect intended, I never heard of it..

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My 5510 has taken me down the wrong road a few times . . . mostly in the RV mode when pulling the trailer.

One time I had to back up about 1/4 mile on a dirt road up in the mountains before I could find a spot to turn around as the GPS took us to a back entrance of a state park opposite the lake from where the campground is (in the photo in my sig line, look across the lake...that is where the GPS took us).

Same thing happened up in South Dakota . . .

I knew where the actual entrance to the place we were going was, but we decided to follow the GPS just to see where it would take us!

Well . . . it took us about 5 miles into the Black Hills on a two-track 4-wheel drive road to some entrance to the park (Jewel Cave) that looked like it hadn't been used in years . . . probably a service entrance of some kind!

Here are a couple of shots there:

BackEntranceJewelCaveTruck-IMG_1111.jpg BackEntranceJewelCave-IMG_1113.jpg

And in Nebraska on our way home, my GPS told me to turn right to get on the highway . . . and I ended up in the parking lot of Cabella's National Headquarters. :confused:

Not long after I got mine the new models came out (imagine my surprise :rolleyes: ) and they threw in Lifetime Maps for free!

I've thought about paying the $90 to get it . . . but I'm not sure if it is worth it.

Any thoughts on this?

danemayer

I must have missed something-- What is the Heartland Highlight? No disrespect intended, I never heard of it..

Dave, Heartland Highlights is a quarterly newsletter distributed to members of the Owners Club. It has messages from Heartland executives, articles about the products, tips from the Moderators and news from Chapter and Regional leaders.

Did you know that you can have a free introductory membership to the Owners Club?

TravelTiger

Dave10a,

Members of the Heartland Owners Club receive access to the club's newsletter, Heartland Highlights, published quarterly. It is made up of content contributed by owners/members as well as news from Heartland RVs, with special sections on: Member Spotlight, Traveling with Pets, Quarterly Safety Tip, User Guides and Maintenance, Heartland's VP of Sales, Potluck Recipes, Moderator Message, Rallies at a Glance, and a large section called Rally Wrap-up -- news from our Chapter and Region leaders on the various Rallies that are taking place all over North America. The newsletter is about 40 pages each issue. We try to feature members' modifications, seasonal maintenance tips, and new Heartland unit highlights.

Any owner can sign up for an introductory FREE one year membership to the Heartland Owners Club! You'll then get the newsletter sent to your email, and you'll gain access to the area on the forum where it can be seen/downloaded, as well.

In this thread's case, I am asking for owner feedback for an article. ;)

dave10a

Dave, Heartland Highlights is a quarterly newsletter distributed to members of the Owners Club. It has messages from Heartland executives, articles about the products, tips from the Moderators and news from Chapter and Regional leaders.

Did you know that you can have a free introductory membership to the Owners Club?

Oh :)

rjr6150

Erika
Let me check to see if company I used to work for has a Garmin 760 in the sample room. If so I still have checkout ability and would be happy to review for you. One of the nice benefits of being retired still get to play with their toys.

TravelTiger

Erika
Let me check to see if company I used to work for has a Garmin 760 in the sample room. If so I still have checkout ability and would be happy to review for you. One of the nice benefits of being retired still get to play with their toys.

Great! Keep us posted. I'd like to get a variety of users opinions, because we all use our gps different ways. I've personally never used any of the GPS RV checklists, so I'm sure there are some features folks have used that others haven't.

Bobemuzzy

I use the Rand McNally 7710 . My opinion is the unit for navigating in the RV mode does a great job. I have had it freeze up on me a couple of times. When this happens I just push The Reset button and all is fine. I also have a GPS program called Street Atlas USA on my laptop computer as a back up. I learned a long time ago when navigating a boat and going out in the ocean 35/45 miles for Tuna always have at lease to means of navigation.

dave10a

I've using GPS receivers since 1998 for walking, bicycling, RV and general driving. The best unit I have experienced is the Garmin IQ3600 which they no longer offer. I still use it as a backup for my Magellan 1700. For some reason Garmin removed features that I like. When I got the Magellan it was the only 7 inch screen and would accept composite video for most rear view cameras. I also have Street Atlas that works with my Garmin 12XL. However it is a PIA to use because it requires my laptop to display the activity. The Garmin IQ3600 and Street Atlas have similar features with Street Atlas having the most powerful software and I wished Garmin or others would implement more powerful software like Street Atlas. Now days the GPS manufacturers seem to think people are more interested in Blue Tooth and creature features than mapping and driving features like low bridges, limited access roads, illegal roads and tunnels for propane, truck stops, terrain map and etc. However, one can find many useable RV features if they shop around. Then some of the units do not think you are going to use it in the sun or allow POI to be down loaded. Also there are a lot of technical specs that are very important and that is where the rubber meets the road-- not pun intended. Unfortunately, the manufacturers do not publish the technical details these day which creates a real home work challenge for those who want to compare units.