How did you choose Heartland?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
While it seems that there are many differing reasons that folks here chose Heartland as the brand to buy . . .

What is the reason you chose Heartland???

I'll tell you our reason for us choosing Heartland . . .

We weren't even looking to buy . . . but on our way home from a weekend get-a-way in a hotel room, we stopped at an RV dealership and looked at several RV's . . . and fell in love with the Trail Runner that we now own!

Give us your excuse!

Speedy

Spending almost a year choosing our first 5th wheel we ended up between two makes; Heartland and Cedar Creek. We spent many hours in each of the floorplans from both we liked and then checked out their owners websites. We received a great welcome from many on this site and read lots of great stories, both good and bad. But my wife and I never felt as an outsider as we did at the Forest River owners site.

We have never and will never regret buying a Heartland product.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We were looking around and had a salesman take us to see several brands and told us to pay attention to the odors in each of them on that hot day. He pointed out the HL having very little of the chemical smell the others had and talked about the materials H L used in making RVs.

The he next time we looked a few months later we found the 3670RL floor plan. It just seemed to fit. We felt like home.... we didn't buy for a few more months after several trips to different dealerships looking at several models, but we kept coming back to HL and that floor plan.

i wish HL still made that original version of the 3670. We would have bought a new one of those with the features we now have if it had been available.

Kristy

Rob63

We went "looking" with no intention of buying whatsoever. We had thought about buying our first trailer at some point in a couple of years when we were nearing retirement. On a cold rainy Saturday with nothing else to do we went to a nearby dealer and looked at Coachman trailers. They were ok but we didn't find anything to "WOW" us. Then we drove to Buffalo (90 minutes away) thinking we would look at some trailers and then go have a nice dinner. We looked at some Jayco trailers and we liked them but we weren't thrilled with the sales approach and pushiness of the dealership and left with a "they are nice but they want a lot of money for them" attitude. We drove by a Keystone dealer but they were closed so we never looked at them. Then we went to another dealer and looked at the Heartland brand. We looked at several but when my wife saw the Trail Runner with the rear kitchen and more counter space than the others we had looked at, I saw her face lite up and I knew she really liked it. I did too! We liked the dealer also (we worked with the owner rather than a salesman). He was a straight shooter and never gave us that used car salesman feeling we got from the other dealership. It was really fun to see the excitement in my wife's face when I said to her "lets buy it today". The dealer worked up the numbers and he was willing to sell it at a price that I thought was more than fair and we went home as new Trail Runner owners.

Gaffer

We had been looking at the Cardinal rear lounge model for a while. We really liked the floor plan and came back often to spend some time in it. On one visit the salesman said he had the same floor plan in the Bighorn which they just started carrying. We checked it out and at the same price point, the quality of the Bighorn was far above the Cardinal so we ordered one.

pegmikef

This is our third Heartland product in less than five years. Our first was an Edge M21 that just happened to be a Heartland product, but we liked the size, floorplan and cost. Then we moved up to a North Trail and since we liked the Edge (Had virtually no issues with it), we sought our a Heartland floorplan that we liked. Again, not having any problems with the North Trail except for the Blow Max tires and having attended several Heartland Rallies that gave us the opportunity to see many different models and meet the owners there was no contest. Based on our experiences we custom ordered our current Big Horn because we wanted another Heartland product and also wanted to stay in the Heartland family! Maybe we have been lucky and maybe it is a tribute to the Heartland product, but we have had none of the issues I have read about on this forum except for the Blow Max tires (so I ordered the Goodyear G614s for our Big Horn).

SeattleLion

We saw our Bighorn 3160 at the Seattle RV show. We had decided to go to the show just to look around. My wife loves exploring floor plans. Last June I surprised her by buying a Kodiak 27 ft travel trailer. I had never been in an RV before, well not exactly; I looked through some at a small fair where a dealer brought some. I wasn't overwhelmed by them at the fair, but I know my wife loved camping with her parents when she was a child. We talked about RV's and decided to just go visit a dealer for the fun of it. We drove down to Fife Washington (about 30 miles from our home) and just stumbled on a very large dealer. A salesman showed us a ton of travel trailers. We really liked one, a 27ft Kodiak TT. I have been known to be quite impulsive and the price we were quoted fit our budget. So we bought it on the spot. We took delivery two weeks later (June 2013) and we went to various state parks every other weekend all summer. We truly loved our rolling "vacation house." It had two serious problems: the bed was too short and lots of defects. I had never spent any time in a RV and when they said "queen bed" I assumed it was a residential queen. Only after getting it home did I learn it was a "short queen". What the "Heck"! In addition it was plagued by endless problems: plumbing leaks, bad fit and finish, bad thermostat, countless small but annoying issues. But we loved it and our trips. The floorplan was nice. It was a front bedroom, rear bath unit with the biggest bathroom we encountered on a TT.

So, when we went to the Seattle RV show we really had no intention of getting rid of our new trailer. We looked at almost every RV at the show. Toward the end of the afternoon, we visited our dealer's area (Fife RV) and explored what they brought. They had two Bighorns there. One of them was the 3160EL. We both fell in love with the floorplan, the residential queen bed, and the quality of the coach and the features (auto-level, power cord reel, led lighting, great layout, huge windows, high ceiling). It was way longer than our TT (37 ft). It had the two most comfortable chairs in the livingroom that I have ever experienced. It had two AC units and a very nice entertainment system. The regional sales manager for Heartland happened to be in the trailer and he took us on a one-hour tour. I had some technical questions and he called an engineer to get me answers to them. I was sold. I asked my wife what she thought. She loved it too. Once more I dived into the deep end and agreed to buy it. Our dealer gave us a great trade in on our 9-month-old Kodiak, so we made the deal.

Turns out, the 3160 at the show is the only one in the entire Northwest. Good thing I got it! That was the end of January. We are picking it up on Saturday. We had some delays due to weather here. On our walkthrough we found a fairly long list of issues. The dealer and Heartland are addressing them. A few are waiting for parts. The dealer suggested we take it home and then when the parts come in, bring it back. Normally, I would refuse, but since we have had such great service from our dealer and Heartland, I felt we had no real risk.

It's a very big impulse purchase! Turns out, by the way, we got an excellent price. I'm glad we happened to find such a great dealer.

Last edited:

caissiel

We were retired and full timing in an SOB 33 ft single slide unit for 4 years. It was getting small and we needed more storage.
I looked at other same but newer models and none around priced right used.
One day we went in a local RV show in the middle of summer and there were many units the size we were interested in.
My DW fell in love with one but not me. But I did love the 7000# axles and 12in frame.
So we went home and I joined the forum and and read all night.
The next morning I told her that I could make it work.
The Island on the BC 3500 RL created an on the road comfort problem for me with limited access to the table.
But I figured a way to eliminate that by modifying the hydraulics.
We purchased the unit when the doors opened the next day.
Every time we tell ourselves how lucky we have been to own a unit that is so practical for our use.
Every show we go to we just can't find better as it's all changed since 2009 models.
Plus we lucked out on thermo panes, discovered 2 weeks after.
Plus for $30k less we bought a larger better build unit then our friends had bought 2 years before.
The unit has been great, of course with modifications, and tows great with our existing F250 that is also an other great story by itself.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Majestic

In 2000, we were in our unit when a tornado ripped through the campground, killing 12 people beside us, sucking us out the dining room window. After months of recovery we never thought we would own another RV.

In 2012, we decided to buy again, missed the lifestyle and bought a Cedar Creek and enjoyed it. In 2013, while just east of New York we hit a sinkhole that destroyed the unit, bent frame, broken floor and wall, etc.

We went to FR factory on our way home to see how they were built and realized in greater detail why there was so much damage. Nothing would have survived the impact, but we saw why the damage was so severe. We decided not to replace with another CC.

We started on various owners group site and were impressed with the structure of this group and the participation of those involved. Then we started looking at the structural build of the Landmark, the involvement of Kary, Jeff (sales), in helping with dealer issues, etc.

We were impressed with this team!

Delivery issues have definitely deflated our enthusiasm for the product, but hopefully HL and the dealer will resolve the issues soon so we can pick up the unit.

MTPockets

We travelled to Alaska in our Class C, spending six months from Florida and back, when we decided to go full time. We started looking at 5th wheels when while we were in various campgrounds and interviewed several owners. At that time Heartland wasn't on our mind. As we travelled from Washington to Indiana to visit kids & grand kids, we stopped at some dealers to get a feel for floor plans and build. Most research was done via Internet as we travelled. In Indiana, we narrowed our choices to four and arranged for factory tours, one was the Landmark/Big Horn plant. After the tours, we had our choices down to two; finally decided on the Big Horn after factory agreed to Yeti and tire/axle upgrade. The deciding factor was the factory tour and seeing the quality from start to finish. We actually wanted a 35 ft. Landmark, but since they didn't make one, we ordered the 3055RL with some off sheet upgrades that filled the bill. We shopped dealers for price from Indiana to Florida and placed the order via telephone and fax. The first time we met the dealer sales person was day of delivery. Haven't been back since as a few minor warranty items were done by me with Heartland sending parts. Two & one-half years later and only one minor disappointment that I also had to fix myself - flimsy roof ladder. But that too is now solid. We still like our 3055RL.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Honestly, the 2008 North Trail 21FBS was the first TT on the lot we looked at, and everything after just could not compare. We fell in love. Of course, about a year later, we saw the first 2009 Eagle Ridge 34QSRL on our dealer's lot... just for grins, looked inside -- fell in love again... it had everything our "next trailer" needed to have... more space for living/lounging... a desk for computer work... a good-sized all-in-one bath... lots of counter space in the kitchen. But we shopped other brands, just to compare. Nothing could! 1 year later, stars aligned and we bought a 2010 (now renamed ElkRidge) 34QSRL. Since then, the forum has been a key role in ownership experience. Now, it would be VERY difficult to leave my "Heartland Family" for any other brand. After 4 years, we still love our rig. Our next coach will probably be a BigCountry, BigHorn or Landmark, when the finances and floorplan are right.

Last edited:

evolvingpowercat

Edge M21 was a perfect mix of technology, features, size, and light weight for a single camper like myself. I also liked the 7' 6" width vs. the more typical 8' width it made towing a bit easier and more comfortable in particular on 2 lane roads. After 2 years and a couple of mods to it I am still satisfied with it. So far as I know Heartland has never said why they discontinued the line. North Trail aproximately matches Edge in sizes and floor plans but at much higher weight points. Not sure what I will do when the Edge wears out but since Heartland left the Edge category guess I will have to look around.

Last edited:

marvmarcy

Our previous fiver (Newmar Mountainaire) was totaled on I70 west of St Louis in Nov 2011 when rearended by a big bus. We were able to pull it a few miles to a dealer. Since we're fulltimers, we had to find something suitable closeby. We bought the only fiver on the dealer's lot that met our needs. So far it has been fine, but we'll see how it holds up in the long haul.

jbeletti

John - great thread - thanks for starting it.

My story - short version :)

Kids gone, decided to camp. Rented a pop-up. Had a great time, me, the wife and 1 Yorkie.

Went home, ordered a 2004 Trailmanor hybrid (popup/travel trailer - similar to a HiLo). Used it 60 nights the first season - loved camping!

Began researching 5th wheels as the TT was just a bit too small for our frequency of use. Looked real hard at Mobile Suites. Came across a new brand called Heartland making the Landmark. Priced them both - bought the 2005 Landmark Mount Rushmore late 2004.

Created the Heartland Owners Forum in October 2004, put on the first North American Heartland Owners Rally in 2006, continued to promote the brand. In process of getting second Landmark in early 2008 - created myself a FT job at HL and began working for them as an employee in March 2008.

Had many, many Landmarks since then. And it's still fun!

thibideau

We wanted a trailer to haul the Rhino, a bed that was accessible while on the road and a toilet therefore we needed a toy hauler.
First we looked a a small TT KZ unit, but had to unload the Rhino before we could sleep.
Next we looked at a TT Jayco unit. Dealer said our F150 could haul the unit if we did this and that to our truck.

We decided to upgrade our truck to F250 and then we could haul the trailer without question. Dealer started to get real pushy. Too many red flags here. Time to get our of there

Then we stopped in at another dealer with Heartland products on site. Walked through a loaded 3010. Nice 10 ft garage. Roomy bathroom and a grown-up bed.
Ordered a plain Jane 3010 (no beds in garage) which we used for 4 years.

A year ago now we went back to our dealer to discuss installing beds in the garage of our 3010. While there we started touring the models he had on site and found a loaded, but discontinued 3612. We fell in like with this unit and haven't looked back. Lots of room when we are away for months at a time and plenty of cupboards. Downside we had to upgrade the truck (F450 dually) at the same time.

We enjoy our Cyclone 3612 and like being part of the Heartland family

Westwind

I was in the Army in 1967 and while traveling home on a bus from Kansas to Rhode Island I realized that I would love to travel around the US in a trailer. Fast forward to 1980, leased a tent camper two years in a row and spent a weeks vacation camping with my wife and kids - loved it.
Unfortunately didn't have the extra money until 2001, kids gone but we bought the 2002 Sunnybrook 26FK. 8x26 no slides, traveled to Florida for two months for 8 years as a snow bird with summer trips to Maine and New Hampshire.
Every winter I went to the Northeast RV Show in Boston. The first year Heartland brought out the Bighorn, I must say I was impressed with the dropped frame and how well built it was. I then a few years later 2005 to be exact started reading and watching for everything "Heartland". I also had a relative who had bought a 2003 Landmark new - they full timed in it for many years. Found three good deals on a 3070 and Scotts Recreation in Manchester, Maine gave me the best deal.
I've been in Florida for 3 months loving our Bighorn, it's not perfect but then what is.
When Thor bought out Heartland I almost closed the book on buying a Heartland FW. When Big Country came out and nothing had changed in the company I thought maybe.
Saw a 3055 at a show and was really impressed, saw the 3070 floorplan and started the hunt. Sold my Sunnybrook in three days

BobX2

After 5 years in our TT toyhauler, my wife and I decided to look at shorter, lighter, mid-profile 5th wheels that we could pull our two atv's behind. This would allow us to transport the atv's from camp to trails that we couldn't ride to. Went to an RV show in January and fell in love with a Jayco Eagle HT. It was perfect. Relatively light, mid-profile and had a receiver hitch as a factory option. We have owned two other Jayco TT's in the past (toyhauler not included) and they make a fantastic RV. Started to get the itch real bad so the next weekend I started shopping in earnest. Looked on the website at the dealer where I bought my toyhauler to see what they had to compete with Jayco. Saw the Sundance XLT on the site. I had never heard of Heartland before so I started doing my research. It appeared to be a perfect fit at first glance, so I really started digging then because I already was kind of set on the HT. As far as I could tell, they were almost the same trailer on paper, with a couple of exceptions. The XLT is a couple of feet shorter, several hundred pounds lighter and it's profile is a few inches shorter. These are all a big deal where I like to pull my campers. (not much of a campground type. We prefer the solitude of dry camping in the high country) This resulted in a drive down to the dealer for an up close look. From there it was a 5 minute drive to Camping World for another look at the HT for comparisons. Couldn't find anything that didn't compare quality wise between the two. The biggest difference I could see between the Jayco and the Sundance was the nearly $8,000 difference in price!!! They are proud of those HT's, and that was their "sale" price. From there back to the original dealer, and before we went home we had purchased our 245RL XLT. After much more reading and research since, Heartland seems to be equal to, if not better than the comparable Jayco product. Since I haven't actually used it yet, I hope my opinion doesn't get swayed once we actually take it out. This weekend will be the maiden voyage. Fingers crossed. Sitting in front of the house, everything works...

jrzygrl64

Bill and I had originally narrowed our search down to Cedar Creeks. We had toured a couple of Heartlands, but they were Landmarks and while we liked them, they were more than we could spend. One Saturday we went to a dealer to see our 3 top Cedar Creek floor plans side by side and compare them. The sales guy was great, he would check on with us then leave us alone for awhile. We were not intending to buy that day, and I had told him that on the phone earlier that week. After a couple hours, he says that he had been listening (and answering) our questions and our comments and concerns about each unit (we had it narrowed down to 2 at this point) and he wanted to show us a unit they had on the lot that he thought would be perfect for us. So we go to look, and as we approach, I said "oh my - its a Landmark!" He showed us the unit and the show price tag was still on the counter. I said "this is above our price range" and he told us it was on super sale because a sale had fallen through and they needed to sell it to avoid finance charges. We LOVED the unit! After Bill and I went for some lunch and talked about it, we decided to hear what the owner of the dealership had to say on the price. We decided our top $$ and we wanted them to add slide awnings (pretty much the only thing we wanted that it didn't have. So we go back and the $$ they presented us was $1500 LESS than our number! And - they would add the slide awnings for that price! Needless to say, we bought it! We can't wait to get started on our full-time journey!

Anyone want to buy a house?

oldmannj

We went looking for a front kitchen, looked at a few used TT on the lot. Salesman happened to mention he had a rear kitchen we might like to look at. Much like the other DW's in this thread my wife's eyes lit up at the counter space in the 28RKS. My eyes lit up at the full width bath you didn't have to be a contortionist to use. Both our eyes lit up at the deal we got on our new, one year old, "used" trailer. We dumped our SOB the same day and the rest is history!!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Great replies so far!

There is more to my story than I told in the original topic post.

While we found the Trail Runner on our way home from a Memorial Day weekend get-a-way in Estes Park, Colorado, we didn't buy that day.

It was actually four months later!

We already had a 24 foot Coachman trailer that was old (1978) and falling apart, but I had a stroke the previous October (2011) and we had put our camping adventures on hold.

But on our way home from our Estes Park hotel weekend and looking over several dealerships and trailers, our interest in RV'ing was reignited!

For months Cathy and I kept talking about that darned :rolleyes: Trail Runner we saw that day . . .

That rear kitchen just couldn't be shrugged from her mind . . .

And in August of 2012, while at a restaurant with family celebrating our 22nd. wedding anniversary, she told me that she had gone online and found it at a different dealership . . . taken a drive earlier that day . . . and had put a down payment on it!

Three weeks later (September 11, 2012) it was (and still is) parked in our side yard next to our garage!

By the way . . . they gave us a modest trade-in for our old Coachman, which I was told is now a hunters cabin somewhere up in the mountains west of here!