Bathroom Drawer won't close.

SailorDon

I opened the bottom bathroom drawer in my 2014 Wilderness 2175RB.
When I tried to close it, it only closed 1/2 way and hit some kind of obstruction.

After removing the drawer completely, I looked inside the cabinet with a flashlight and discovered that the plastic hose from the outdoor shower was lodged behind the lower drawer, preventing it from closing.
After pushing the flexible plastic hose out of the way, I was able to install and close the drawer in the full closed and locked position.

I figure by extending the hose for the outdoor shower, the problem of blocking the bottom drawer can be avoided, but dragging the outdoor shower head along the road is probably not a good idea.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Has anyone solved this problem?

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Don, is there enough room to install a EMT conduit "P" clip and a short screw to hold the hose out of the way?? Might be easier than dragging the coach back to your dealer for a $.50 clip and screw.

SailorDon

I'm not sure how EMT "P" clips work, but it sounds like the clip will restrict the movement of the shower hose so that it won't extend full length when you want to use it as an outside shower.

I'm thinking I will have to build a wall (bulkhead) like the one between the kitchen drawers and the kitchen cabinet that is under the sink.
That will prevent the flexible outdoor shower hose from curling up behind the drawers in the bathroom.

SailorDon

It took me 2 hours, a double hernia, slipped disk, and a dislocated shoulder, but I fixed the problem of the bottom drawer not closing in the bathroom.
I'm just kidding about the personal injuries, but I am serious about the 2 hours, for what should be a 5 minute job.
It is almost impossible to get behind the framework for the drawers to fasten the bulkhead in place.

Here is the end of the project. It is difficult to see the installed bulkhead that prevents the outdoor shower hose from jamming behind the bathroom drawers.

This is where the hose will lay when you open the bottom drawer without the bulkhead. That drawer ain't going to close unless you move the hose out of the way first.:mad:

Here is the installed bulkhead to prevent the outside shower hose from getting behind the bathroom drawers.

I hope this saves someone the frustration I went through to get this to work right.
Why doesn't Heartland design these things right in the first place? Or did they just forget on my travel trailer?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Great job! We are always modifying things to make them better. I don't think it was left off, just something that was realized by using the product. Determining access to our winterizing valves was problematic, we added sliding doors in our basement compartment. Take pride in solving an issue that makes your camping experience better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SailorDon

Take pride in solving an issue that makes your camping experience better!
I agree 100% in principle with what you say.

My dissatisfaction is with the Heartland designers who allow design defects like this to go into production.
They could at least write it up in the owner's manual that the outside shower hose must be extended before closing bottom bathroom drawer.

I don't expect Airstream quality for what I paid for my Heartland, but I do expect functionality.
And to add to the frustration was 2 hours of knuckle busting contortions to get the bulkhead fastened in the deep dark regions of the travel trailer where the "sun don't shine".
For $1.00 of material and 1 minute of labor, they could have installed that bulkhead at assembly when it was accessible.

Here is another idea for the Heartland designers. Don't put a 3rd drawer on the bottom. Just put a blank panel (and more wasted space).

I feel better now that I have "vented". :)

Tallyrver

The DW was complaining about a drawer getting stuck in the bathroom ,I'll have to check it out .thanks for posting that.