Rear Ladder broke

AZBigMike

Hello All,

We have bee using our 2013 Sequoia now for a couple of months with relatively minor issues (other than our broke cargo door hen we first picked it up). On this trip our rear ladder which I use to go up on the roof to mount our tailgater for satellite, broke at the 1st rung. Wondering if anyone had any similar issues or knows if you can replace it with a stronger one, or if its worth doing.

Mike Simmons

pegmikef

Mike do a search on ladder in the search box at the top right of the screen and you will find two or three threads regarding ladders that have various fixes to them. Mike

Birchwood

Hello All,

We have bee using our 2013 Sequoia now for a couple of months with relatively minor issues (other than our broke cargo door hen we first picked it up). On this trip our rear ladder which I use to go up on the roof to mount our tailgater for satellite, broke at the 1st rung. Wondering if anyone had any similar issues or knows if you can replace it with a stronger one, or if its worth doing.

Mike Simmons
Its dangerous to go on the roof ...period and for satellite ...not recommended ....for your own safety.

jbeletti

Mike,

When you say the ladder broke at the first run, do you mean that loop/step at the bottom is broken? Or do you mean that the first tread above that loop has broken at the end - once of the plastic end caps?

If it's the plastic end caps, Atwood will likely send you some replacements. You asked if it's worth fixing. Good question. Some have reinforced their ladders, some have removed them and others don't use them. Instead, they use folding, collapsible or folded step ladders.

Hunter11

Not what I want to hear with a Landmark on order. I like to get up on our roof every couple of month's to inspect the roof and caulk.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Our Landmark ladder is definitely not as strong as the one we had on the 2008 Bighorn...we've had to make a support to put under it to climb up on the roof...

Hunter11

Our current unit we bought new in 2007 and I have been up and down the ladder several times a year and I have never had a problem. We are spending a lot more money on the Landmark than our current unit and I would expect it to have a ladder you can use.

MTPockets

There have been many disappointments about the ladders posted over last three years. The new Landmark GM posted he was going to look into a better ladder. Would be nice to hear if flimsy ladder mounts and breaking plastic rung ends have been improved.

AZBigMike

Mike,

When you say the ladder broke at the first run, do you mean that loop/step at the bottom is broken? Or do you mean that the first tread above that loop has broken at the end - once of the plastic end caps?

If it's the plastic end caps, Atwood will likely send you some replacements. You asked if it's worth fixing. Good question. Some have reinforced their ladders, some have removed them and others don't use them. Instead, they use folding, collapsible or folded step ladders.

It wasn't the end cap, I found a couple of earlier threads from earlier after posting this. It was right at the 1st step, and I will replace it, but will definitely put some support under the bottom to keep it from flexing, and I think I will also bring and use the little giant ladder, which I know work really well.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mike, are you referring to the lower loop under the first full ladder step? That lower loop is a separate piece. Mine broke but not from using the ladder but because I dragged it on the ground on a steep exit from a fuel stop.
For the repair, I used 1/2" thin wall conduit pieces to insert inside the existing aluminum tube. First I determined how long of a piece to use by fitting it up into the ladder tube then down into the lower piece until it hit the curve. I cut two pieces and fit everything back together and it's stronger than ever now.

AZBigMike

Ray,

Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about but I'm not sure if it will go back as you mentioned cause it looks like it might not go back, but I will try it