ordered our 2015 RW 425 RT today, but have hitch questions

rkoyeti

We just ordered a 425 RT and will be pulling it with my chevy 3500 hd crew cab 6'6" box (tow rating 4150 PL and 17000 TW) Does anyone have experience towing this size unit with a 6'6" box? Is a slider required or suggested? The dealer said a slider not need because of the 88* corners on the 5er, but dealers will tell you anything. Any real world experience? Any Hitch suggestoons?

Mark-Mullin

You shouldn't need a slider I have an F350 6.6 bed and a RW415 and I don't use a slider and all works well, a little nervous the first time backing in but no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have a slide hitch in my 6.6 I like the security knowing that I can turn 90+ deg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miller0758

I'm with Kevin ... with a slider it's nice to know you can crank to 90 degrees if you need to. I have found although I can get in my driveway without sliding, it makes it easier and one less think to think about when I move the hitch.

wonka

We have the slide hitch, never use it, in fact we can't because of the pin cover. If we try and slide back, the pin cover hits the tailgate when the unit is straight. We have NEVER needed it though, and we take our trailer many places most wouldn't take their trucks.

recumbent615

Allow me to expand on my answer based on wonka's comment. I believe that I would have a story the same as wonka's it I had a manual sliding hitch. But knowing that would be my tendency I opted for the Pull Rite hitch that adjusts the hitch location based on the angle of the turn.

rkoyeti

Thanks you everybody, I think I'm going to go with a 20k slider, and leaning toward the superglider. What slider is the best bang for the buck? I don't mean the cheapest, but sometime your just paying for the brand name not the quality of the item

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

recumbent615

That is the one I have and I have had only one issue with it and they replaced the rails and came lock with out any hesitation

AAdams

I do not have a short bed truck. That being said, when I was looking at options for a new pin box I noticed Reese Airborne has a new Pin for short bed trucks that moves the pivot point back directly under the trailer and a slider hitch is not required. If your new trailer uses the LPP1621HD like the 390's do then the Reese number would be 61423 for a 19.5k pin.

DiverB

Is the pin box the same for both the RW415 & 425? I want to add the TrailAir pin box as soon as I buy the trailer, but want to shop around on the cost so I can get a good feel if the dealer ship is going to charge me a fair or inflated price. Not owning a 5th wheel TH yet, I don't know what pin box size to look up for pricing. Thanks

szewczyk_john

I have the trailer saver BD-3 hitch with the optional sliding bracket. I have used it but could have gotten away without the slider. I like having the ability to slide mine when I see the need and by using the slider, I saved myself a lot of back and forth motions to get my unit where I wanted it. Mine is a manual sliding release. The BD-3 has a 4 way articulating hitch head and also has airbags build into the hitch which means you do not need to upgrade the pin box. It comes apart in 2 pieces for removal or can be removed from the truck in one piece( a two man operation). it is a quality piece of equipment but it is not cheap either.

porthole

Retired
Thanks you everybody, I think I'm going to go with a 20k slider, and leaning toward the superglider. What slider is the best bang for the buck? I don't mean the cheapest, but sometime your just paying for the brand name not the quality of the item

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I haven't met anyone yet that was sorry they paid the bucks for a PullRite SuperGlide.
Excellent hitch and it is automatic, always there when needed.

I used one with my GMC short bed.

Keep in mind, you are buying a toyhauler, and toyhaulers are 5" wider.

That extra 2.5" on either side of the pin just might be the "straw"

Somewhere on this site I have pictures of our Cyclone, turned 90 degrees. It is quite obvious I would not make that turn without a slider.

szewczyk_john

Sorry for the delay, Duane. Here are a few pictures. All that is added is the extra room behind the back rail. The feet that normally go into the rail are now mounted to the slide assembly and the slide assembly has its own feet to go into the rail. As you can see, there is an extra few inches side to side and about an extra foot behind the back rail. I can remove the slider assembly at any time and simply replace the original feet to eliminate the slider.

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 33

porthole

Retired
For some reason I was thinking you had the TS3. That is what I have and it is about as big as what you have, but without a slider. That is why I was wondering. Wonder if the TS3 could even be adapted to slide.

szewczyk_john

I am not sure about the TS3 being able to be mounted on the slider mechanism. Give Henley a call and see what they say, or check out koine at the Urbana rally. I liked mine because it can come apart into 2 pieces for removal. I have been fortunate to have the kids around and me and my older one handles it as one unit since he was 15. Now me and my younger one handle it but in a few years I will not be able to count on them being around to help out. If yours can be hooked up to the same slider mechanism, I believe that the mechanism was relatively inexpensive, maybe even under $300. Remember that I bought my BD3 used and got a great deal on it so I had a hard time not spending the money to buy the slider new from henleys. I figured that I was still way ahead of the game.

If anyone is looking a friend of mine notified me that there is a used BD3 on Craigslist in Rochester New York for sale. The ad was just posted yesterday. It doesn't have the slider but it is still a great deal off the price of a new one. My buddy wants one because he used my truck and hitch to take his trailer to a campground last month while his truck was getting repaired. He has a very cheap reese a frame hitch that only pivots front to back. He said that he never had such a smooth ride towing his trailer as he did with my truck. He assumed it was the hitch since our trucks are very similar. He just can not afford the asking price of the used hitch. I do not know the person selling or anything just passing along info.

porthole

Retired
I don't need a slider, it was curiosity. "If" I needed a slider it would be a PullRite SuperGlide.
And my next air hitch would not be a Hensley because of "after the fact" support.