Sundance - Pin Weight 285BH

dstratmo

I recently purchased a 2011 Sundance XLT 285BH. The main reason was for it's claim to be 1/2 Ton Towable. I researched a lot on weights/pin weights and found that model to be roughly 7600lbs DRY WEIGHT and 1450lbs PIN WEIGHT. My own fault, but after purchase I found the actual dry weight on the unit to be 8100lbs. This is fine as my F150 Ecoboost w/ Max Tow can handle 11,100lbs BUT now I have no idea without hitting the scales as to what the pin weight actually is?! I have read on these forums to expect roughly 20% of your dry weight...does this calculation give you your DRY PIN WEIGHT or that I should expect once loaded to wind up with a pin weight of 20% of my dry weight? If this is the case I'll be fine, otherwise I'm bound to surpass my payload of 1850lbs. Any information would be fantastic! Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Re: ATF: Sundance - Pin Weight 285BH

Hi dstratmo,

Congratulations on the new-to-you Sundance and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The 20% you've seen is a planning number that assumes a pin weight of 20% of the trailer's GVWR. Basing anything on a dry weight spec is problematic for two reasons: 1) trailers going out the factory door typically weigh quite a bit more than the dry spec and 2) you won't be using it empty and dry.

The GVWR is somewhere around 11,580, so 20% of that would be around 2,316 lbs. That would be for a trailer loaded to its maximum weight. If you travel light, say at 9,000 lbs, the pin weight might not get above 1,800.

Of course 20% is a planning number. Depending on how the trailer is actually built and loaded, actual pin weight might be less. You won't know until you weigh it loaded the way you will actually travel.

It's possible the actual pin weight might be closer to 15%.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: ATF: Sundance - Pin Weight 285BH

You can visit www.fifthwheelst.com for great info on how to weigh your coach and determine your pin weight.

[h=2]Five Easy Steps...[/h]
Step 1: Choose, print and provide answers on the appropriate worksheet.​
Step 2: Weigh your vehicle with your trailer (RV) or other towable attached.​
Step 3: Weigh your vehicle without your trailer (RV) or other towable attached.​
Step 4: Enter the data from your worksheet into the RV Safety Report Calculator.​
Step 5: Adjust load distribution and inflate tires per tire load inflation recommendations.​

oscar

after purchase I found the actual dry weight on the unit to be 8100lbs.

That's because options go on top of the "advertised" weight. (Awnings, AC, propane, TV's and on and on…..)

Yes, the ONLY way to get accurate weights, including pin weight, is to go to a scale and weigh with and without trailer hooked up. Be prepared to be surprised.