Duramax 4.5 diesel

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I ran across this site http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2935.... about a new diesel GM is planning to go in 1500 pickups and etc. I think GM might be on to something here for people not needing the larger diesel and use lighter trucks , SUVs or Suburbans. What ya'll think?...Ken

snuffy

I ran across this site http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2935.... about a new diesel GM is planning to go in 1500 pickups and etc. I think GM might be on to something here for people not needing the larger diesel and use lighter trucks , SUVs or Suburbans. What ya'll think?...Ken
I think it has about the same torque and HP as my '01 Duramax, so it may be a good deal. Far as I know they aren't using the 8.1 in pickups anymore. Something needs to take it's place. I just hope the injectors are better or at least easier and cheaper to replace.

cliffhanger

Ford announced earlier in the week (at the '09 F150 intro) that they are bringing a smaller diesel into the market also.

I'm getting in line for one of these if and when they put this 4.5l in the Tahoe ! Can't wait to see the fuel economy #'s.:)
Jeff

DMitch

GM dropped plans ofr the 4.5 in 2010. I haven't read any updates to that in a couple months.

Delaine and Lindy

Well the 4.5 Diesel would have be a great baby Duramax. But due to the Leadership (or like of) GM or what ever it will be named lost a great opportunity to bring great small Diesel. Its so sad to see a great company be torn down by people who don't own GM. What has happen to GM is a major reason we are going for the Freightliner M2. GBY....

DMitch

I know several people that were chomping at the bit for a small diesel in Surburban or Tahoe. It was the major talk on a bunch of the diesel sites for a long time. Too bad the government wants to be in bisiness.

I read somewhere online that the 4.5 Duramax was on the "chopping blocks" so to speak with their current financial situation. But it sure would be nice for them to add another diesel to their line up.

I also read online that the new 2010 Duramax 6.6L will have over 400hp and 720ft-lbs of torque. Could also see 8+ gears in the allison. Would be pretty cool, not sure if its cost effective though.

Clyde396

Tahoe W/ 6.5 Turbo

I'm getting in line for one of these if and when they put this 4.5l in the Tahoe ! Can't wait to see the fuel economy #'s.:)
Jeff
I waited two years for the 6.5 to be put in a Tahoe. Bought one in 1996 and it still is running strong. Did have to add air bags too help the rear end. Liked it well enough to buy a 07 Duramax in a 2500 Silverado.

DMitch

Clyde396, I second the 6.5. Had one in a 95 Chev 2500 and loved the truck. Pulled my 5ver all over the east coast with it. Had to upgrade in 2008 when we moved to the 3850BH. Gave the old 6.5 to my son in law and he is still driving it.