Oh my - my truck weight

Jski28

I just weighed my 2013 F250 Platinum 6.7, w/fifth-wheel prep and 10,000 GVW. The darn thing tipped the scales at 8,300lbs. I love the truck but my lord did I make a bad purchase.

danemayer

Re: Oh my

Hi Jski28,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

It does sound like you're configured pretty heavy. What will you be towing?

jnbhobe

I just weighed my 2013 F250 Platinum 6.7, w/fifth-wheel prep and 10,000 GVW. The darn thing tipped the scales at 8,300lbs. I love the truck but my lord did I make a bad purchase.

My F-350 tips at 9400 fully loaded with 100 gal of fuel and tools and passengers

MTPockets

The Ford web site lists payloads, but those are stripped down trucks. Most common options can add a thousand lbs. lowering those ratings. Was your truck weighed full of fuel, driver & passenger, hitch? If not, your not gonna handle much 5vr.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

My 2013 GMC 3500 tips at 8400#+ without DW and the hound with 70 gal of fuel on board. With all the junk we carry in the truck...its got to be over 9K loaded for travel. I need to make this clear....its not the DW...its the hound "Callie" that adds all the weight. Very chubby dog.

Fords have always been heavy trucks. This why ya gotta do lots of research before you buy a truck to pull a big 5er.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

What did they add to the GMC 3500 dually? Mine is 8050 with 56 gallons of fuel, me and a few tools in the bed, along with the hitch.

Subdrv

Checked mine on the first trip with the trailer hocked up the f450 was at 13500 and the cyclone axles were at 15500. The Dullie gained about 4k pounds from empty. I had added a combo fuel tank and about 100lbs of fuel. The 450 is rated for 14500 so I'm good.

Bob&Patty

John, it could be the boxed frame, the extra fuel tank with fuel in it. Maybe the genset, chubby dog and DW. The 9K was a guestament, but I know its over 8K with just me in the truck. I might go weigh it some day just for grins and giggles.

DW_Gray

Things like this makes me wish I could afford to run a nation wide ad campaign. For now, social media will do.

porthole

Retired

Last time I weighed my truck, with 65 gallons of fuel, some firewood, toolbox, 2 people and 2 dogs it was 10K even.

Sumo

Me, Dw, 5 dogs and 100 gals of diesel= 7960 lbs. Thank you GM.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Heathcote4

I saw it mentioned on here that most of these ratings are "stripped down" or base models.

When you add airbags I would think that would have an affect on the payload rating when inflated right?

Is there something published that explains this?

Bob&Patty

Adding air bags will help level your rig. Nothing you add to a truck will increase the "LEGAL" weight rating. Whats on the door sill sticker "is what it is".

2008 F550 v10 with service body and crain, 8kw welder/generator, gasser air compresser, tools and extra parts.. right bout 18k just truck.. just started pulling 21 fbs north trail. needed bags before. really need bags now. beats the trailer on bad roads. got smaller trailer due to weight of rig. pulls it 70ish mph with any wind ball only no prob.. well 4.2 mpg... gets bout 7-8ish no trailer. company PAYS for fuel... their truck my work truck.. loving no hotel cost.... gotta get bags though.

danemayer

pulls it 70ish mph with any wind
Trailer tires are rated to a max of 65mph. At 70 you are likely causing internal heat damage that eventually may result in one or more tire failures.

Miltp920

So my 2003 GMC Seirra crew cab short box 4x4 duramax is 22,000 GCWR. I am there pulling my Cyclone 3100. When I look at the newer GMCs same truck I have I do not see much gains in GCWR. Can someone give me an example of a legal TV pulling a 4000 Cyclone? If I were to upgrade today, I was thinking GMC Denali duramax 3500 but I am not sure it has the GCWR to handle tbe 4000s 18,000 lbs plus tow vehicle weight. If I put my truck and Cyclone on the CAT scale, then that is my actual GCWR right. I don't get to subtract anything do I?

DW_Gray

If I put my truck and Cyclone on the CAT scale, then that is my actual GCWR right. I don't get to subtract anything do I?

No, that's not your GCWR. The results of weighing the whole rig is the GCW. GCWR is the maximum recommended for the truck and trailer combination. Any of the late model 350/3500 diesel dually trucks are capable of towing trailers with a 18,000 pound GVWR.

Use the BYBRV app to verify compatibility.