looking at getting a puppy - looking for advice from other owners

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Well folks three years after the doctor told me I was actually NOT allergic to anything and that I was misdiagnosed 15 years ago. I am considering adding a companion to my home. I have ( I believe ) decided on a cocka-poo. Do we have any others that are cocka-poo owners who are willing to tell me about their pup?

I am interested in hearing about...

• how well they travel
  • relate to other dogs
  • how well the relate with other people
  • how they are at campgrounds
  • do they suffer from separation anxiety, when you work or leave them for any length of time
  • how well did they take to training ( both on and off lead )

any health issues with the cross breed that you are aware of

Is your pup a first generation cross or are both sire and dame cocka-poo?

Thanks for any feed back you can offer.

Kevin

oldmannj

Just a personal thing here Kevin. Irene and I have 3 great dogs, all of them rescues. Why not look around at your local rescues. With an adult dog you don't have as many messes in the house as you do with puppies. Be warned they all have issues of some sort. Doesn't matter how much you pay, you can get a 2,500.00 dud or a 250.00 love boat. Personally I would steer you to a pitty or bull dog. 2 of the most misunderstood breeds in the world. OK I'll get off my soap box now. ED. :angel:

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Kevin not sure about the cocka-poo but we have two dachshunds and they are great dogs. What I can tell you though universally is that the darker the coat usually the more laid back the dog is. We have found this true with ours, our black & tan is mellow and our diluted red is very high maintenance. Lol. Also despite what some will tell you, male dogs are alit easier to deal with than female. Good luck on whatever you choose but look into the rescues as well, there are many breed specific ones out there and don't be afraid of an older dog. Good luck and you will make a great pet parent I am sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdb2047

Hi Kevin. We have a Cockapoo had 2 for awhile. Both where rescues. First was male about 6 when we brought him home. He had separation issues 2nd dog solved that problem was good at traveling could get an attitude if scared or surprised him overall a good dog lived till 17. 2nd was a rescue also, female. You met her at Goshen. Great dog travels well, no house issues can leave alone and not a problem. What we have found out they are generally pretty good dogs but there is always the exception. As far as training, in our case, you have to blame the owners.

Grey Ghost

Hey Kevin, we have a Westie (West Highland White Terrier and truly one of the best dogs you will ever find. Very friendly, however will let you know if someone comes around until you tell him it is OK. Does not shed, easy to train, loves to travel and just waits by the window until you return; I'm sure he gets a nap or two in also! Loves people, kids, cats and other dogs. Ours is a neutered 9 year male and when you say camping he starts to pack his ditty bag! Since I've retired he follows me everywhere and loves going to Home Depot and all the pet stores, sits in the truck and waits while I go grocery shopping and the likes. Loves to ride and a very good traveler. Like the ocean and also the mountains. Cannot go wrong with a Westie, as they say, "Its great to be owned by a Westie." Good luck with your search and I'm sure you will come up with the right dog for you.

wehavefun

I have to tell you I am not into little dogs, I have had some different breeds, been exposed to quite a few different breeds, now there is only one breed I will ever have.....Bernese Mountain Dog.

This is the most amazing puppy I have ever had, we just took her on her first trip at 3 months, NY to Florida. Everyone in the camp grounds loved her, travels AWESOME, trains easy, very obedient. Oh and when she poops, you can find it, you don't have to look hard!!!

You never have to worry about behavior when your gone, everyone offers to puppy sit!

If you don't mind a big dog, you'll never find a better companion!

Snow

Just look around you will fall in love with one and you will know when the right one looks at you with those puppy dog eyes ,all dogs are different we've had poodles, poms ,yorkie a silky and they were all different you will know when the right one comes. post a pic and have fun with him or her . ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

ljawest

We've had all kinds of dogs and each one is better than the one before....all depends on how you treat the dog...you may want to consider how much the dog sheds or how often it needs to be groomed...i.e. get hair cuts. we are currently traveling with a 75 pound black lab mix who sheds a lot in warm weather, but we wouldn't trade her for any amount of money or any other breed. She is so funny watching the animal critters of all sizes from her back seat...she takes up the whole back seat. She's a great traveler and full of personality because we spend the time with her. Teach the dog tricks and all kinds of commands...the dog is actually your canine child and will continue learning as long as you try to teach them in good spirits.

recumbent615

Thank you all for your input. Dave I do remember meeting your pup at the National Rally. I had a poodle mix, and I believe it may very well have been a cockapoo, when I was a child. That was long before they started breeding by design of course. It was by and far the best dog I have ever had. I need to be 100% sure that any breed I get will do well with children and other animals, since there will be grandchildren ( at some point ) as well and there are already 3 dogs and 4 cats in my children's homes.

There are still things that i need to research and work out beyond the selection of a breed. researching breeders and rescue agencies will follow closely. I am in no way fixated on having to get a "puppy" as a mater of fact it scares the heck out of me :) . It's like having a newborn baby... and I already did that a few times...

I doubt you will see me with a new puppy at the Rally in VA ... but you never know what will happen - I may end up falling in love with some wonderful mutt ... worse things could happen to me.

Kevin

BHEWITTJR

I have to second the vote for a Dachshund. We are on our second one and they are great little dogs (both are minis). They travel very well and are a big hit at all campgrounds. Puppy life will keep you very active as they are active all day long. Before them we had Dalmations, very obedient and loving dogs but they shed constantly. Either way it's great to have a dog with you as you travel across the country.

dalspot

Kevin, any dog is part breed, part personality, part owner and part training. What ever dog you do get, socialize, socialize, socialize. If you've not had a dog in a very long time, I'd highly recommend obedience classes. If you have never gone to classes before, you'll probably learn more than the dog. Clicker training is a WONDERFUL way to train your dog with a positive approach. Do your breed research, weigh all the pros and cons of each breed and balance against your life situation. Most importantly, if you decide to buy a purebred dog, go to a reputable breeder!!! Never buy from a pet shop. A rescue can often be a wonderful choice, especially if the organization takes the time to evaluate the animal and can tell you what his/her good and bad points are. Plus you can specify a young dog that is beyond the "puppy" stage. And can tell you how the dog gets along with other animals and kids. But beware too, that a rescue often ends up shuttled from home to home because of behavioral or health problems. Lots to consider, have fun!

f250dieseldad

Kevin, get a cat. Food, water, scoop the litter box and you are done. Don't have to walk them in a thunder storm, blizzard or 4 am. And like me when you go to rallies you get to visit all the dogs. Our cat travels very well in the truck and loves the camper. Just a thought.

recumbent615

Duane

Looking at rescue first and registered breeders second. I will not go the puppy mill or pet store route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saildogs

Please be aware that there are no registered breeders of cockapoos as this not a recognized breed as they are bred by puppy mills or backyard breeders. Cockapoos are awesome dogs but you need to check the background of the puppy very carefully.Also, check out breed rescues for poodles and cocker spaniels as these rescue groups often have cockapoos in rescue.

Good luck with your search for that wonderful companion.

Wmnmy

we have a 140 pound mastiff and a lil bichon they travel great love the trailer and like said before socialize and training on off leash obedient love kids grown ups other animals great grandkids have a great time with them and they are our babys inside dogs spoiled rotten lol....

recumbent615

Please be aware that there are no registered breeders of cockapoos as this not a recognized breed as they are bred by puppy mills or backyard breeders. Cockapoos are awesome dogs but you need to check the background of the puppy very carefully.Also, check out breed rescues for poodles and cocker spaniels as these rescue groups often have cockapoos in rescue.

Good luck with your search for that wonderful companion.

Saildog, While you are correct that there are no AKA registered breeders for cockapoo there is an association of breeders who breed AKA registered poodles and cocker spaniels with the proper care and testing to result in the healthiest mix of the two breeds. But as you point out there are still a lot of puppy mills out there breeding anything they can sell with little regard for the health or well being of the animals. I still have a lot of understanding to gain with this and thank all of you for your input and insights.

GOTTOYS

We lost our old Mags about a year and a half ago. After six months we decided we needed another dog. With no specific breed or size in mind we started shopping for a rescue. We looked for a couple months. Finally Daisy found us. She's a mixed Lhasa and Poodle maybe. A bundle of energy that keeps us laughing. Just start looking and when the right one comes along you'll know. Good luck...Don

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Good luck in your search Kevin! Dogs were always a part of our life and when it came time to say good-bye to our Sheltie I knew we would never find another like him! Never barked, never needed a leash and always remained by my side. That darn dog would swing in the hammock if I was in it too! He was the best! Our youngest son wanted a cat for his birthday and we rescued Sox from a shelter where his time was about up!

Whatever you do, whatever you choose, a fur kid will surely make you smile!

Pizzadigger

Get a rescue ... we have 2 rescue mutts . Both are very loveable , great with each other and gives you a good feeling to help an animal that may have had an awful life.

Andy